Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Trademarks (December Update)

Variance

Credit first must be given to ToniCipriani for his thread on a "Saturn Astra" trademark that GM has recently registered:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...view=getnewpost

I decided to do some snooping on the site he cited and this is what I found so far:

-Nissan Motors has recently registered the names "G37", "FX37", and "M37" for its Infiniti brand. This pretty much is a confirmation of the rumor of the size of Nissan's new VQ (or VQ-derived) V6 engine. Now we just have to see if the 330hp claims are also true.

-Toyota Motors last summer reigstered "LX520", "LX550", "LX570" and "LX600". Obviously, they're not going to use all of these but based on the new Tundra possessing a 5.7L V8, I'm pretty certain an LX570 is headed our way.

I'll post more stuff as I find it.

Update starting @ post #100.

Edited by Variance

-The Lincoln MKMadness is just getting started, it looks like. Back in fall of 2005 Ford registered for Lincoln (in addition to what we already know) "MKC", "MKN" and "MKT". So if they ever do make another Continental, it won't be a "Continental". It'll probably be a "MKC". And the presence of the "MKT" moniker doesn't spell good things for the future of the "Town Car" nameplate.

On the DCX front:

-As of last summer, Mercedes planned on another vehicle for us, the "GLK-Class".

-In January, "CLS63" (AMG) and "CLS65" (V12 cruiser) became a reality as did...wait for it... an "SLK65" (registered last December)?! WTF?

-Way back in 2004, Chrysler lid claim on "300 Black Tie Edition".

Credit first must be given to ToniCipriani for his thread on a "Saturn Astra" trademark that GM has recently registered:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...view=getnewpost

I decided to do some snooping on the site he cited and this is what I found so far:

-Nissan Motors has recently registered the names "G37", "FX37", and "M37" for its Infiniti brand. This pretty much is a confirmation of the rumor of the size of Nissan's new VQ (or VQ-derived) V6 engine. Now we just have to see if the 330hp claims are also true.

-Toyota Motors last summer reigstered "LX520", "LX550", "LX570" and "LX600". Obviously, they're not going to use all of these but based on the new Tundra possessing a 5.7L V8, I'm pretty certain an LX570 is headed our way.

I'll post more stuff as I find it.

I wonder if some of those may be hybrids. Remeber the RX400.....

OK, I am really bored. Before you guys start beating me up for putting posts everywhere about the same thing, I'll just move all the stuff here for now.

I've found other names of interest that has been registered by GM in US:

Astra

BLC

BLS

BRX

BLW (dead)

G5

G8

Serrano (dead)

Tigre (dead)

Invicta

Moab

There's more (like 900 in total).

Interestingly some of them are being registered recently.

And another:

Enclave

This one isn't registered under GM, but a company called Enclave Corporation, which has the same address as GM. Maybe something there as well?

OK, I am really bored. Before you guys start beating me up for putting posts everywhere about the same thing, I'll just move all the stuff here for now.

I've found other names of interest that has been registered by GM in US:

Astra

BLC

BLS

BRX

BLW (dead)

G5

G8

Serrano (dead)

Tigre (dead)

Invicta

Moab

There's more (like 900 in total).

Interestingly some of them are being registered recently.

And another:

Enclave

This one isn't registered under GM, but a company called Enclave Corporation, which has the same address as GM. Maybe something there as well?

Dont forget BLT,PB&J and STD.

I wish HUMMER would quit useing this silly H to discribe their models. The HUMMER H1 is the HUMMER HUMMER #1. They should use something like TYPE 1 or SERIES 1 or even name them after MOUNTAIN RANGES. The H1 could be the HIMALAYA. The H2 could be the CASCADE. Anything would be better then HUMMER HUMMER 1/HUMMER HUNNER 2/HUMMER HUNNER 3 ECT! <_<

Enclave

No it's registered to Enclave. The USPTO identifies it as a Corporation (as Toyota Jidosha K.K. Corporation; Ford Motor Company Corporation), but it's just a mistake on the form. Doh!

Whoops, forgot, about the actual Mazda 5....oh well, I guess the Miata could be the 1 then.  And you've gotta be joking when you say Nissan has registered the Cube.......

No matter what, Mazda will never toss the "MX-5" or "Miata" name. It holds too much clout. It'd be like Chevy getting rid of the "Corvette" name.

that's true, but on the same note, look at Pontiac, it takes the name Grand Am that's been around for quite some time and makes it G6, Mazda could do the same and change it to the Mazda1 Miata.

Yeah, but the thing with the Grand Am was the name had become tarnished. Renaming it to "G6" was GM's way of giving it a new start. Miatas still have a positive rep as desirable sports cars.

I agree with you on that one Vipes, the G5 should stay the Grand Prix, and the G8 should be the Bonneville, hands down....now if calling them the G5 and G8 respectively in their redesign/new concept stages is all right, then so be it, but don't come out with an all alpha-numeric system of cars. It'll make me think I'm at work and looking at part numbers.

I agree with you on that one Vipes, the G5 should stay the Grand Prix, and the G8 should be the Bonneville, hands down....now if calling them the G5 and G8 respectively in their redesign/new concept stages is all right, then so be it, but don't come out with an all alpha-numeric system of cars.  It'll make me think I'm at work and looking at part numbers.

Well, it was mentioned in the other thread that G5 is essentially Pursuit coupe. G8 is the rumoured Bonneville/GP replacement.

More:

Nissan

Versant: Registered about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I haven't the slightest what it could be. It could have something to do with the Versa...

JX47 (Infiniti): Now this is interesting for two reasons. It's obviously a brand-new model (my guess is a conventional midsize SUV) but the "47" name tells of a new 4.7L engine. Maybe a bored-out (or brand-new) version of Infiniti's current 4.5L V8.

Toyota

Tundra T: Obviously a Tundra variant.

DaimlerChrysler

New Yorker: This one is funny. I stumbled on this one completely by accident. I typed in "DaimlerChyrsler" and this is the only result that popped up. Nobody's perfect it seems. :lol: It was registered last summer.

Ok, remember the "GLK-Class" I mentioned earlier? Well, thanks to refining my search, I found the names "GLK63" an "GLK65". An AMG and a V12-powered version.

The GLK name suggests it is a downscaled version of the GL-Class. But like the "SLK65", I can't imagine how they are going to cram a V12 in a small engine bay...

For some reason the 3.9 is a tight fit in the LaCrosse. I don't know if the engine cradle is different or if the locations of things on the engine is different, but everything is a bear to get at in W-bods with 3.9s.

I also don't think I have seen an S10 with a 454. I've seen planty with 305s and 350s, but no big blocks. I can imagine there would be plenty of massaging with large hammers involved and the inner fenders would have to take a hike.

Thats odd becouse the HVV6 3.9L is the same exterior size as the HVV6 3.5L version. Its the 2.8/3.6L HFV6 that takes up more room due to its DOHC layout. :huh: The HFV6 3.9L works GREATLY in the W based IMPALA.

• 1 month later...

Toyota:

xD (obviously for Scion)

DCX:

S320 (return of a diesel-powered S-Class in the States?)

CLS550

Ambiente (concept?)

Assyst (apparently some kind of an assist component)

Freedom Drive II (the name of a 4X4 transmission -- likely Jeep; changing name of "Quadra-Drive"?)

• 1 month later...

Yes, the Trademark thread has made a grand resurrection with some new names. :)

Nissan

FX50: More evidence of a new V8 in future Infinitis.

Almera: This is the name of a Nissan sold in overseas markets. It's a Sentra-sized five-door hatchback. Could the next generation be coming here?

Epix: Sounds like a concept car name.

Toyota

Auris: ?

Honda

SH-TEC: My guess is this is Acura's Super Handling AWD sans the AWD.

Ford

MKR: Another addition to the Lincoln line.

GM

DTS-L: Stretched DTSes may not just be for the President anymore.

DCX

Breeze: The former name of the Plymouth Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Cirrus clone. What could it potentially be coming back as?

Avenger: We know about this.

Tomahawk: Remember that crazy four-wheeled motorcycle with a Viper engine? Are they seriously building that??

CLC/-Class: Yet another Mercedes. A CL convertible?

the tomahawk was so cool!!! but there is no way they could make a business case for it... insurance rates alone would be close to quintuple digits... and i cant imagine how much theyd sell it for... higher than the viper id imagine...

but maybe they are doing something different with the name? maybe a sportier car for dodge underneath the viper... perhaps mate with the crossfire? its a plus that the name "Dodge Tomahawk" sounds ridiculously badass

SH-TEC sounds dumb. How can it be SH with the AWD? Wouldn't it just be normal?

Somebody failed Latin. :P

"Sans" = "without". Without AWD. :AH-HA_wink:

It'd be doing that side-to-side torque transfer trick to the front wheels only. Think Prelude SH.