Budget problems may end New Jersey motor vehicle inspections for mechanical defects

SAmadei

For the NJ members... some good news about the economy.

TRENTON - New Jersey may soon stop inspecting privately owned motor vehicles for mechanical defects.

Transportation officials say the move could save the state $12 million annually and partially eliminate a process that's aggravated motorists for years.

Motor Vehicle Commission Chief Administrator Raymond Martinez told lawmakers earlier this week that the plan could take effect July 1.

It would make New Jersey the 30th state that doesn't perform mechanical defect inspections.

Martinez said less than 6 percent of vehicles are rejected for mechanical problems and that there is no conclusive evidence that eliminating mechanical inspections would lead to more traffic accidents.

Vehicles would still have to be tested for emissions, but not until they are five years old. Cars up to four years old are currently exempt. The new standard would save $5.9 million annually, officials said.

Vehicles older than five years would still be tested every two years for emissions.

If the move is made, the state would have to renegotiate the contract with Parsons Corp., which conducts the emissions and mechanical inspections. The firm is only two years into a five-year, $276 million contract.

New Jersey currently conducts more than 1.94 million initial vehicle inspections each year.

The article is Here.

Until that part falls off an kills someone behind them....

or someone tries driving around with no functioning tail lights at night....and gets slammed into.

people get killed all the time on Florida highways from parts falling off other people's cars.

Until that part falls off an kills someone behind them....

or someone tries driving around with no functioning tail lights at night....and gets slammed into.

people get killed all the time on Florida highways from parts falling off other people's cars.

Trust me, all the cars with serious problems have inspection stickers... the owners just pay garages to look the other way.

It irks me every time I drive around and see some guy in a hugely lifted truck (over 6" requires a stability inspection) with black tinted windows all around, blacked out lights all around, no exhaust, 8 sets of fog lights, no front plate and a current inspection sticker.

Meanwhile, I get failed because there is a rip in the seat back showing 1/4" of steel structure. Yes, I have been failed for that. "Someone could get cut on that"... WTF?!?

It irks me every time I drive around and see some guy in a hugely lifted truck (over 6" requires a stability inspection) with black tinted windows all around, blacked out lights all around, no exhaust, 8 sets of fog lights, no front plate and a current inspection sticker.

If that's the case, have the state spend the 12.3 million on jailing wannabe Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino's.

Oldsmoboi ~ >>"Until that part falls off an kills someone behind them...."<<

In Jersey, they inspect the wipers, horn, the gas cap and make sure the cat converter is in place. None of these items are physically inspected to see how well they're attached, nor are any of the other 3,996 parts an average car is built from. Nothing will change.

>>"...or someone tries driving around with no functioning tail lights at night....and gets slammed into."<<

I cannot TELL YOU how many vehicles I KNOW have automatic lighting, driving around at night with no lights on period. Prolly 1 a week. Have also seen brand. new. cars. with bulbs out. Nothing will change there, either.

>>"...people get killed all the time on Florida highways from parts falling off other people's cars."<<

Driving behind siennas, tacomas, FJs or tundras ??