Pontiac Based on Cobalt Coming

Pontiac will get Cobalt-based entry-level coupe, lose Montana minivan

By JAMIE LAREAU | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 02/12/06, 3:18 pm et

DETROIT -- General Motors will give Pontiac an entry-level coupe as a stopgap measure until the division gets more brand-focused products, sources close to Pontiac say. In the process, Pontiac dealers will lose the Montana SV6 minivan.

The coupe will be a high-performance relative of the Chevrolet Cobalt coupe with some Pontiac influences. The vehicle will give the Buick-Pontiac-GMC channel a shot at the small-car market, a source close to GM says. GM is still considering names for it. One option might be the G5, sources say.

Pontiac intends to launch the coupe as a 2007 model and likely will start production this fall in Lordstown, Ohio.

The car will be priced similarly to the Chevrolet Cobalt SS supercharged coupe, which starts at $20,490, including shipping.

Pontiac eventually will lose the Montana SV6 minivan, which has seen sluggish sales and does not fit Pontiac's performance-brand image, sources say. U.S. sales of the SV6 for January fell to 1,450 units, an 11.5 percent drop from 1,638 in the year-ago period.

Pontiac has lacked an entry-level car since the Sunfire died last year.

In Canada, GM sells a Cobalt sibling called the Pontiac Pursuit.

I agree, then it would differentiate it more from run-of-the-mill Cobalts. Enhancing the Pontiac performance image. I think it's a good move for American Pontiac. The problem, I suspect, is keeping the price lower, relative to the G6.

And so glad the Montana is on it's way out. Finally.

Edited by HarleyEarl

Anyone want to do a Photoshop for this... graft a Solstice front clip on a Cobalt coupe.

Please, no more solstice fronts. It's easily the weakest part of the Solstice design. Pontiac may need a new front, but that's not it. GM should figure out a way to modernize the 67 GTO front, without going retro.

Please, no more solstice fronts. It's easily the weakest part of the Solstice design. Pontiac may need a new front, but that's not it. GM should figure out a way to modernize the 67 GTO front, without going retro.

Ditto. It just happens that it flows nicely with the whole Solstice. It just looks plain wierd on anything else.

I hope someone can send me some more shots of the spied Ion so I can do more chops with it.

Edited by ToniCipriani