Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

My nephew and fading troubles

It is hard to believe, but my nephew will be 2 years old this November. Watching him grow has been tremendously fun. My favorite story, thus far, happened earlier in June.

I went to my sis/bro-in-law’s place to drop off something for my sister. I parked out front in the street and came in the side door by the driveway. As I opened the door, my nephew yelled, “Cort!” [He hasn't quite mastered "Uncle", it comes out ... "Unc ... Unc ... Unclcor"!]

I heard my sister say, “How’d you know that was Uncle Cort coming in the house?” A bit later, we found out. As we were talking in the front room, my nephew walked to the front window, pointed, and said, “Cahr…Cort cahr.” He was pointing at my Caprice Classic....

Later, right before I left, he started saying “Cap…Cap…Cap…Capri!”, trying to say Caprice for me.

Other "nephew corruption victories" I claim include getting him to say...

..."Dodge", which my sister drives (manual Dakota quad cab)

..."Arlo", which is what I called the Monte Carlo, soon after my parents bought their ("my") 1976 Monte Carlo when I was ~2 years old.

While he hasn't said "Monte", "Carlo" or "Monte Carlo" for me, Dad tells me that he has said "Monte" for him.... For now ... I'm settling for Caprice, since he hasn't seen my Monte Carlos yet...!

3 pics of my nephew....

Driving his truck:

JJ_1.jpg

Who...me?

JJ_2.jpg

Uncle Cort is so silly!

JJcort_2.jpg

Sssooo...what melts everything away for you? Whenever I see my nephew (or drive any of my Monte Carlos or my Caprice Classic), all the troubles of the world just seem to disappear. Who or what does that for you?

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker

MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"We'd all live in a quiet house, without Big Bird or Mickey Mouse" ... Oak Ridge Boys ... 'Thank God For Kids'

Sssooo...what melts everything away for you? Whenever I see my nephew (or drive any of my Monte Carlos or my Caprice Classic), all the troubles of the world just seem to disappear. Who or what does that for you?

That little duck quack at the end of the Dawn Dishwashing Soap commercial.

My youngest Granddaughter who is 23 m/o moved out 2 months ago. She will be in the living room and not see me yelling out Gampaw meer several times till I answer or open the french doors. Was over for an early Fathers Day get together with SeeSee & Mommy.

Thanx for the post :smilewide:

I am not able to calm my brain. The problem isn't seeing the glass half full or half empty..... the problem is I have 137 glasses that are half full and an eye dropper (time) to fill them with.

I can relate to this.

But, sitting down with friends and singing our hearts out while someone plays a guitar, or piano, or whatever - that takes me to another place.

A good one.

I am not able to calm my brain. The problem isn't seeing the glass half full or half empty..... the problem is I have 137 glasses that are half full and an eye dropper (time) to fill them with.

Instant vacation time.

Sounds like it is a time for one....

On subject, my now 2 year old makes me laugh all the time. He is so darn cute!

And to mommy's dismay, loves cars! (and trucks!)

Thanks for the pics, Cort!

I need a real vacation...haven't taken a week long or more one since I went to Hawaii in '07. I'm taking a number of 2-3 day long weekend trips this summer.... A weekend away someplace beautiful (the beach, the mountains) and disconnected helps a lot.

As far as the daily grind, coming home to spend 1/2hr to 45min in the pool is extremely relaxing...after that, a quiet dinner, feed the dogs, then listen to music or watch some TV and hang out w/ the dogs and have a couple beers relaxes me further.

I've been at my current client for 15 months now, the contract ends in September. But my work load has increased and I've taken on more managerial tasks, and they want to hire me as an employee to lead a team...decisions, decisions...

As far as the glass being half full or half empty, I've been told that my view is that there is no glass. Not sure what that implies.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

• 2 weeks later...
Nothing seems to help.

Eeegads. I'm sorry you have so much going on these days.... For me ... it's not being able to sleep that is ... arg. :(

Thanks for the pics, Cort!

(and)

Thanx for the post :smilewide:

You are welcome!!!!

One more quick story....

In mid-June, events dictated that my 1979 Caprice Classic and 1987 Monte Carlo LS/CL were at the house at the same time. The CC was parked along the street curb, and the MC was in the driveway. As my sister and nephew left, my nephew pointed to my CC and said, "Cahr....Cort cahr". My sister replied, "Yes." Then, she turned and pointed at the MC, "...and that is Uncle Cort's car, too!"

My nephew looked at the MC, tilted his head, looked at his Mom, then looked back at the MC, pointed at it and said, somewhat hesitantly, "Cahr....Cort cahr." Since then, he recognizes either the CC or the '87 MC as my car. Course ... just wait until he sees the rest of my Monte Carlos.........LOL!

JJ_4.jpg

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker

MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Your friends have shown a kink in the single life" ... The Raconteurs ... 'Steady As She Goes'

• 2 weeks later...

*grins*

Thanks, bud! I agree ... not that I'm biased or anything ;). lol

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * 07/24/2010=ChitownMeet #3 *

"My arms are wide open & will always be" ... Emerson Drive ... 'Fall Into Me'