Ion's final days...

Ok, we know the Ion is being replaced by... something. Astra, something else, whatever. What I'm not quite clear on is the timeline for the rest of the Ion's life. The Ion production line at Spring Hill was slated for shutdown. Has this already happened, or is it yet to come (and if so, when)? Is Ion production being moved to Lordstown OH, or not? What do we know will happen when?

I beleive Ion is gone after this model year....not sure though. It will be replaced by Astra, and sooner than we think, just my speculation, if Aura is as huge of a success as it has the potential to be [200k sales, imo, serious dent in Accord, Altima, Camry, around 30k from each], GM will be reacting quickly to continue the Saturn Gravy Train.

http://www.saturnfans.com/Cars/Future/2007sopdates.shtml

Start of Production Dates for 2007 Saturn AURA, ION, VUE

SaturnFans.com • January 29, 2006

GM Canada's Fleet and Commercial website has published start of production dates for the 2007 Saturn AURA midsize car, ION sedan and quad coupe small cars, and the VUE sport-utility.

Saturn AURA in Fairfax, Kansas starts on July 24, 2006

Saturn ION in Spring Hill, Tennessee starts on June 15, 2006

Saturn VUE in Spring Hill, Tennessee starts on June 12, 2006

The dates were valid as of January 16, 2006, but are subject to change.

Source: General Motors

http://www.saturnfans.com/Cars/Future/2007sopdates.shtml

Edited by gmhashope

Guest YellowJacket894

GM would be idiotic to leave Saturn without a compact sedan for any amount of time.  Even though the Ion sells poorly, it's still a big chunk of the brand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe that's because the ION is the only car that Saturn sells at the moment. Period. The other two vehicles are the VUE and Relay...and I don't think those are cars.

Maybe that's because the ION is the only car that Saturn sells at the moment. Period. The other two vehicles are the VUE and Relay...and I don't think those are cars.

True. What I've heard is that Saturn will continue to build the ION through the end of the 2006 year which means that the ones made in September, October, ect. will probably be considered '07 models. They will try to produce as many as possible so Saturn dealers can still have a compact car on the lot.

But by the time the ION production stops, Saturn will have the Sky, Aura, and Outlook to go along with the VUE and RELAY.

BTW, I fixed the link but I posted the whole story.

But by the time the ION production stops, Saturn will have the Sky, Aura, and Outlook to go along with the VUE and RELAY.

...and hopefully they'll go straight into retooling the line for a nice new Saturn Astra.

8) Sedan, wagon, and quadcoupe hatch (dang, that'd really be pushing the boundaries of what you can call a "coupe" :lol:)

Yup, Saturn cannot be without a smaller car than Aura for even a day. The latest IONs look decent, somehow more athletic... maybe the trick of the sportier, 5 spoke wheels was all the car needed. An ION III with 2.4L should be a neat little runner, more stealthy than a Cobalt SS. Edited by ocnblu

Yup, Saturn cannot be without a smaller car than Aura for even a day.  The latest IONs look decent, somehow more athletic... maybe the trick of the sportier, 5 spoke wheels was all the car needed.  An ION III with 2.4L should be a neat little runner, more stealthy than a Cobalt SS.

i really like the look of the Ion with the new 5 spokes....i like the 2.4 5sp combo, but I would like to see them drop in the DI turbo or even the SC one into the sedan.