Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Skip the whole milk. Pass on soda. Drink beer?

A couple a day anyway, but you can have far more diet soda 32 oz v. 24 oz for men or just 12 oz for women.

A digression but while we're on beverages, a brief rundown on milk products:

Homogenised milk- Milk with the cream in suspension (the fat droplets are usually smashed into very small bits by blasting onto a hard surface).

Skim milk- milk after the cream is skimmed off.

Butter milk- the liquid remaining after the solid fats (butter) have been seperated from the cream. In retail use, skim milk cultured with lactobacillus (as yoghurt) to resemble cultured buttermilk.

Yoghurt- milk infected with strains of lactobacillus, increasing it's "thickness".

Curds- coagulated milk produced by a curdling or "setting" agent such as an acid or an enzyme such as rennet - the most basic form of cheese, in a semi-liquid state.

Whey- the liquid left after the curds have been seperated-often thrown away by cheesemakers unaware of its value (low in fat and high in protein).

Junket-milk curdled by rennet and sweetened and often flavored, i.e. sweetened curds and whey. Watch out for spiders when eating on tuffets.

Edited by thegriffon

Sugared sodas & juice drinks are inheritantly bad for you due to the (duh) suger & suger derivatives (those with a "-ose' suffix), not to mention the chemicals. Many nutritionists call sugar the white poison.

Diet soda is a chemical nightmare. I used to drink maybe (6) 24-oz bottle a week until I got pain in my knees & elbows. Quit, pain quit, started up again, pain returned. I quit for good, I had to, and I LOVED/CRAVED diet Pepsi. There is a plethora of info on aspartame online- it's amazing it's legal. It is akin to formaldahyde & cyrstallizes in the joints.

BTW- I recently ran a 'test' on Splenda-sweetened soda- same result.

Coffee is especially bad because it carries roughly 5 times the caffiene as soda. I am not sure how decaffinated coffee & tea is, but coffee is also strongly acidic, which skews the body's balance from a healthy alkaline to a disease-subseptible acidic balance. I believe tea is also acidic.

Milk carries an enzyme which increases the chance of prostate cancer. Many sources have said that adults should not drink milk. Soy milk is another (unresearched by me) matter.

I have been learning more and more about diet as I get older. I enjoy liquid and all this info sucks. I am left with water and unsweetened juice drinks as I try to reduce my consumption of milk & ice tea. Never drank coffee.

. . . allowing more leeway for alcohol and lots of room for tea and coffee -- up to 40 ounces a day . . .

. . . The report was paid for by the corporate parent of Lipton Tea, which is now using the scientists' advice to advertise tea's benefits . . .

<_<

Sugared sodas & juice drinks are inheritantly bad for you due to the (duh) suger & suger derivatives (those with a "-ose' suffix), not to mention the chemicals. Many nutritionists call sugar the white poison.

Diet soda is a chemical nightmare. I used to drink maybe (6) 24-oz bottle a week until I got pain in my knees & elbows. Quit, pain quit, started up again, pain returned. I quit for good, I had to, and I LOVED/CRAVED diet Pepsi. There is a plethora of info on aspartame online- it's amazing it's legal. It is akin to formaldahyde & cyrstallizes in the joints.

BTW- I recently ran a 'test' on Splenda-sweetened soda- same result.

Coffee is especially bad because it carries roughly 5 times the caffiene as soda. I am not sure how decaffinated coffee & tea is, but coffee is also strongly acidic, which skews the body's balance from a healthy alkaline to a disease-subseptible acidic balance. I believe tea is also acidic.

Milk carries an enzyme which increases the chance of prostate cancer. Many sources have said that adults should not drink milk. Soy milk is another (unresearched by me) matter.

I have been learning more and more about diet as I get older. I enjoy liquid and all this info sucks. I am left with water and unsweetened juice drinks as I try to reduce my consumption of milk & ice tea. Never drank coffee.

i love milk

i love juice (I only buy 100% real juice for the family now since we had our daughter, i know its 'natural sugar' but at least its not high fructose corn syrup)

i like GOOD beer

i crave diet coke and coffee and drink lots of each (I avoid nearly all splenda drinks but the aspartame is as bad or worse i guess)

i can't think of anything that's good for me aside from water that I can drink and enjoy as much. Damn.

anyone want some info on diet drinks.....go to www.mercola.com i swear the sh1t you read will frighten the pants off of you.

maybe some folks on here can offer up some info on some good beverage alternatives.

I've tried literally about 50 different 100% juice products in the last 2 years. There is an interesting product out there from v8 called V-Fusion. It is 100% juice and is about 50% vegetable juice and the other half fruit juice. Since my daughter shows aversion to veggies I thought it would be a way to trick her in to 'getting some veggies'. I had her fooled and hooked the first few bottles and then she was on to me and wouldn't drink the stuff, at least not the strawberry flavor. She did like the Peach Mango stuff. My wife and I both like the Peach Mango V-Fusion. Some of the juices out there have all sorts of stuff in them like added Calcium or Vitamins or 'antioxidants', ginseng and other trendy herbs, etc.

Edited by regfootball

I start out the day with a cup of coffee. Used to have 4 or 5 when I was working, but I don't need the extra caffein now that I'm retired.

Don't drink much milk, although we buy 2%. Most of the time I drink 100% juice (Juicy Juice Berry flavor). If we go out to eat, It's Sprite for me.

I loose my taste for beer in the winter and will have a glass or two of wine every other day after dinner. When it's really cold outside, I have a shot of Blackberry brandy or B&B every afternoon.

The wife drinks lots of water, orange juice and too much Diet Coke. She has acid reflux, so the doctor told her to eat yoguart.

When summer comes along, I try lots of different beers, starting with a Corona in the afternoon after cutting the grass or working in the yard. Then in the evening, it's an Irish ale or stout after dinner.

The basement bar refrigerator is currently stocked with Heineken and Smithwicks Irish ale.

I think we have a healthy mix of drinks, especially if the wife cuts down on the cola.