Playboy article

I was just reading an article in Playboy and it was talking about how Toyota is beating the pants off GM (no pun intended) as far as sales, etc...

One woman actually thought Toyota was an American brand.

ANYWAY. It says "people, especially women, love to talk about their cars."

That's just not what I thought...that women like to talk about their cars more than men do.

Any ideas why this would be?

It also says that the reason the market is the way it is today is because of women. Women prefer Japanese cars for a couple of reasons.

Overseas cars were the first to put the automatic transmission into mainstream, and this is something women want because it's easy and takes away a lot of fear about driving unsafely in something that can also go fast, and of being left stranded.

Also, the hoods are smaller and women can see over them, unlike the American cars with huge, long hoods.

Also, Japanese manufacturers paid more attention to how things inside the car (steering wheel, controls, shifter) felt, which is something that women pay more attention to.

Remember the Volvo YCC concept designed by women for women? It had no hood; you trusted your dealership to tell you what was wrong. :lol:

Most women I know still know very little about cars, relying so much on what magazines and such tell them. My girlfriend is an exception as she not only knows something about cars but has excellent taste (she loves trucks and Detroit iron from the '80s). You're an exception 'cause, too. Maybe another girl I know. Many of them seem to be attracted by pretty-colored lights and cute door sculpting, hence the prominance of the Jetta.

However, I can't say most guys are any better.

Wait you read playboy?

And first of all America had Auto's way before the Jap crap cars did.

The chicks that i know that like cars driv all americans and the other chicks that dont know about cars drive foreign cars.

And besides who sold more cars in 05? a Cough GM so where is there info and facts?

And you read play boy?

That makes you cool :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by capriceman

I think i saw my perfect one today she drives a 78 convert caprice, about 27 years old and she was in my passenger seat. so i agree with Fly.

Edited by capriceman

Wait you read playboy?

And first of all America had Auto's way before the Jap crap cars did.

The chicks that i know that like cars driv all americans and the other chicks that dont know about cars drive foreign cars.

And besides who sold more cars in 05? a Cough GM so where is there info and facts?

And you read play boy?

That makes you cool  :AH-HA_wink:

my boyfriend reads Playboy...I just look at the pics. :)

They actually have a lot of really awesome articles. I enjoy it.

Cars are both mechanical and sensual.

I think that women can relate to the sensual part of the vehicle. Men probably relate better to the mechanical part.

Now, if women relate to the mechanical part a lot, their butch quotient may be high. Now, if men relate to the sensual part a lot, well...let's not go there...let's not take this thread there.

Seriously, cars arouse the senses. Men and women's senses can be aroused. So, therefore, why shouldn't women like to talk about cars?

Cars are both mechanical and sensual. 

I think that women can relate to the sensual part of the vehicle.  Men probably relate better to the mechanical part.

Now, if women relate to the mechanical part a lot, their butch quotient may be high.  Now, if men relate to the sensual part a lot, well...let's not go there...let's not take this thread there.

Seriously, cars arouse the senses.  Men and women's senses can be aroused.  So, therefore, why shouldn't women like to talk about cars?

thats in interesting theory. I was just thinking, that for me at least, a car is kind of a like a pet. I talk about my car in about the same way I talk about my parakeets. It's also something that's very hands-on. There are a lot of things you can do and pamper.

However, I can think of a lot of reasons why women talk about cars, but can't think of very many reasons why men don't talk about them as much.

Now, if women relate to the mechanical part a lot, their butch quotient may be high.  Now, if men relate to the sensual part a lot, well...let's not go there...let's not take this thread there.

:huh:

Take a good look at an exotic or classic car for a while and tell me it doesn't remind you of something sensual. Think about it. Doesn't that "coke bottle" shape remind you of anything else?

Take a good look at an exotic or classic car for a while and tell me it doesn't remind you of something sensual.  Think about it.  Doesn't that "coke bottle" shape remind you of anything else?

I think everyone can agree that cars look good and sexy (sometimes)

But that only explains why people/women like cars...not why they talk about them more than men

Don't mind me, Enzora. I was just rambling and thinking "oh..oh"... I could be inviting this thread to go down that path as so many others do...this is C&G, after all.

Remember the Volvo YCC concept designed by women for women? It had no hood; you trusted your dealership to tell you what was wrong. :lol:

Most women I know still know very little about cars, relying so much on what magazines and such tell them. My girlfriend is an exception as she not only knows something about cars but has excellent taste (she loves trucks and Detroit iron from the '80s). You're an exception 'cause, too. Maybe another girl I know. Many of them seem to be attracted by pretty-colored lights and cute door sculpting, hence the prominance of the Jetta.

However, I can't say most guys are any better.

but you hit the nail on the head because THAT'S WHAT SELLS CARS to 80% of the population these days.

interiors

consumer reports

reputation among friends

GM has never understood how to tap into the market they call women, and 'intellectuals' and guys who are effiminate, or just flat out don't like cars.

Generally men are taught not to talk about cars around women, since women usually find that to be boring. By the way, did you know you need to buy a new intake to fit Vortec heads on a straight-up 350? (See what I mean? Please don't hit you face on the keyboard when you fall asleep, it's much too pretty to be covered in key marks. :) )

very good point!!

It also says that the reason the market is the way it is today is because of women. Women prefer Japanese cars for a couple of reasons.

Overseas cars were the first to put the automatic transmission into mainstream, and this is something women want because it's easy and takes away a lot of fear about driving unsafely in something that can also go fast, and of being left stranded.

That is the biggest load of bull$h! I've heard all week. If playboy actually said that then the author of the article needs to be fired IMMEDIATELY!

Does this guy also say that the Japanese invented FWD and DOHC? <_<

That is the biggest load of bull&#036;h&#33; I've heard all week. If playboy actually said that then the author of the article needs to be fired IMMEDIATELY!

Does this guy also say that the Japanese invented FWD and DOHC? <_<

here is the actual quote:

"Detroit is fighting for it's life because, in the 1970s and 1980s, young women got the freedom to be on the road from Toyota, Honda, Nissan- and the automatic transmission. Women fell in love with cars that were easy to drive, that were lively, responsive, and small. They could see the fenders over those short, angled hoods. Think of the late 1970s, a time of Ford Gran Torinos and Chevy Impalas with hoods the size of flight decks. Those cars were a nightmare for women; Hondas and Toyotas fulfilled a dream."

It also says that women were the main cause of Detroit's decline, although men also took to Accords, Supras and 240Zs. Also Road & Track and Car and Driver played a role in the decline.

I think what it was trying to say about the automatic is that the Japanese cars didn't heavily feature manual transmissions, while most of the American cars still did.

Don't blow a gasket.

here is the actual quote:

"Detroit is fighting for it's life because,  in the 1970s and 1980s, young women got the freedom to be on the road from Toyota, Honda, Nissan- and the automatic transmission. Women fell in love with cars that were easy to drive, that were lively, responsive, and small. They could see the fenders over those short, angled hoods. Think of the late 1970s, a time of Ford Gran Torinos and Chevy Impalas with hoods the size of flight decks. Those cars were a nightmare for women; Hondas and Toyotas fulfilled a dream."

It also says that women were the main cause of Detroit's decline, although men also took to Accords, Supras and 240Zs. Also Road & Track and Car and Driver played a role in the decline.

I think what it was trying to say about the automatic is that the Japanese cars didn't heavily feature manual transmissions, while most of the American cars still did.

Don't blow a gasket.

Good points, but I don't feel the '70s-80s are reflected on today, the mid '00s.

I realize that Playboy's articles aren't exactly their main selling point, but when I see a glaring factual inaccuracy I need to step in.

From http://ask.yahoo.com/20011022.html:

As we learned, automatic transmission was based on technology first developed in the early 1900s by German manufacturers of marine engines. However, it was not adapted for automobiles for several decades. In 1938, General Motors developed the first line of cars to sport automatic transmission -- Oldsmobiles that offered "Hydra-Matic drive." The cars were introduced to the public in 1940. In 1941, Chrysler followed suit and introduced three different cars that offered their version of automatic drive, "Vacamatic" (later called "Fluid Drive"). Automatic transmission was a fairly common option on most American cars by 1948.

We steered over to the official Oldsmobile site to learn more about the innovative line of cars. In the History section of the site, we found an interactive timeline that offered a bit more information about Hydra-Matic drive:

It provided true clutchless driving with four forward speeds. Its fluid coupling between engine and transmission eliminated the clutch and its associated foot work. Olds made the breakthrough Hydra-Matic available on all models for only an extra $57.

Not only was GM the first to market with automatic transmission, according to Chrysler's site, Vacamatic was really only semi-automatic. It featured four speeds and would switch automatically between the two lower or two higher gears, but the driver needed to use the clutch to switch from a lower gear to a higher gear or vice versa.

So there you have it -- in this race, Oldsmobile was the clear winner.

I realize that Playboy's articles aren't exactly their main selling point, but when I see a glaring factual inaccuracy I need to step in.

From http://ask.yahoo.com/20011022.html:

OK, no one seems to realize two points here:

1. This is not talking about who made the "first" anything.

2. this is not talking about "modern times"

It's focusing on the turning point from American cars to Japanese cars.

The article is a novella, so I can only summarize so much.

What the article is really about is how much GM sucks. :)

Z28... thanks buddy, that's a start. I think I clould write a 2,000 page book on just how wrong that Automatic statement is.

It's quite the exact OPPOSITE. It's imports like BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, VW, Honda, Datsun & Toyota that sold huge numbers of manual transmissons in an era (1970s & 1980s) when Automatics were found in 95% of American cars.

I think a part of the Accords appeal for those so inclined is that it's available loaded with a V6 and manual trans. The Grand Am GT, Grand Prix, Malibu, Contour, Fusion, Seabring, Startus, Avanger, Regal, Catera etc. only come in auto or that half-assed-B.S. "manu-matic".

When wil these clowns learn?

Ask the entusiasts, No clutch pedal meas no deal!

Z28... thanks buddy, that's a start. I think I clould write a 2,000 page book on just how wrong that Automatic statement is.

It's quite the exact OPPOSITE. It's imports like BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, VW, Honda, Datsun & Toyota that sold huge numbers of manual transmissons in an era (1970s & 1980s) when Automatics were found in 95% of American cars.

I think a part of the Accords appeal for those so inclined is that it's available loaded with a V6 and manual trans. The Grand Am GT, Grand Prix, Malibu, Contour, Fusion, Seabring, Startus, Avanger, Regal, Catera etc. only come in auto or that half-assed-B.S. "manu-matic".

When wil these clowns learn?

Ask the entusiasts, No clutch pedal meas no deal!

you know what is really funny? I've almost completely forgotten how to drive an automatic. I had to move my boyfriends car the other day and it was a total freak-out session.

OK, no one seems to realize two points here:

1. This is not talking about who made the "first" anything.

I agree. According to your previous posts, it is stating that one of the reasons for the transition to Japanese cars is the (supposedly) more widespread availablility of automatics from the Japanese. My quote proves this wrong by showing that automatics were widely available from the big 3 since before 1950, when Japan sold hardly any cars in the US at all (comparatively speaking).

2. this is not talking about "modern times"

What are they referring to then. "Modern times" is a very vague term, but I think anything post WWII could classify as being "modern times".

What the article is really about is how much GM sucks. :)

If you're gong to play with fire..... :P

I agree. According to your previous posts, it is stating that one of the reasons for the transition to Japanese cars is the (supposedly) more widespread availablility of automatics from the Japanese. My quote proves this wrong by showing that automatics were widely available from the big 3 since before 1950, when Japan sold hardly any cars in the US at all (comparatively speaking).

What are they referring to then. "Modern times" is a very vague term, but I think anything post WWII could classify as being "modern times".

If you're gong to play with fire..... :P

it's not talking about any specific time. Sheesh you people will argue over semantics forever rather than just talking about the topic.

"modern times"="the 00s", which is what someone said earlier.

Lauren:

This is NOT semantics. That statement about automatics is

utterly, hopelessly false. It's almost like saying the Japanese

invented pushrods or BOF construction. We don't take kindly

to false Import-biased reportage around here.

Lauren:

This is NOT semantics. That statement about automatics is

utterly, hopelessly false. It's almost like saying the Japanese

invented pushrods or BOF construction. We don't take kindly

to false Import-biased reportage around here.

can you people read or do you just scroll down so you can type your own useless opinions? :P

don't be hatin' suxty8. what did I ever do to you?

oh-kay.... um, where in this thread did I attack you?

Suxty8? how original.

It's your argument that is all over the place and besides...

unless you have a vested interest in Playboy magazine

why would you care abotu thier bull&#036;h&#33; automotive

reporting anyway? :huh:

oh-kay.... um, where in this thread did I attack you?

Suxty8? how original.

It's your argument that is all over the place and besides...

unless you have a vested interest in Playboy magazine

why would you care abotu thier bull&#036;h&#33; automotive

reporting anyway? :huh:

that suxty8 thing was honestly a typo. I think it works though.

I am not even arguing about it. gawd. I just posted what some magazine said and everyones all over me like I wrote it.

Damn if I wrote for Playboy do you think I would be sitting here talking to you losers?

ps- you attack everybody.

Edited by lauren

Well, I can speak for most in saying that they're not all over you, just the content of the article. The automatic transmission dealie is just plain wrong. Most of us see something like that, call it, and drop it. Some just like to keep on.

Well, I can speak for most in saying that they're not all over you, just the content of the article. The automatic transmission dealie is just plain wrong. Most of us see something like that, call it, and drop it. Some just like to keep on.

I just said this to you on IM, but for everyone else- I think it's talking about the combo of the smaller, more manageable car combined with the auto trans... not just that they had automatics.

does that fix some of the damage?