Empty Promises: What Mind-Blowing Automotive Technologies Didn't You Get?

Empty Promises: What Mind-Blowing Automotive Technologies Didn't You Get?

By black-knight (Editor/Reporter) for Cheers and Gears.com

23rd December, 2010

post-8523-0-55716400-1294289557.jpg

It goes without saying that since the automobile became a way of life (in whatever degree of capacity it is depending on the person), automakers have always chosen to make the sky the limit on what technologies the car of tomorrow (read: concept car) should have and, more often than not, they also throw in a promise that those nifty futuristic features will come optional or standard on a brand new car at your local Hometown dealer within your lifetime. The hype is huge and, inevitably, you begin to look forward to the day where you can buy a new Malibu from GM with automatically tinting windows and rich Corinthian whale hide hubcaps. Sometimes, though, promises fall short and become empty.

When that happens, you're left holding the bag on that shiny new Chevy pickup that can transform from a regular cab pickup to a two-door K5 Blazer and you begin to think maybe that twenty-five grand in change you were going to put down on it should just stay in the bank after all. It's utterly disappointing, almost depressing even.

So, in this open discussion, let us know which bold, brash, and totally kick-ass automotive technologies that you were left out in the cold on. If you agree with a particular post, please use our post rating system to promote it. At Midnight, Friday, the 7th of January 2011, the open discussion will be closed and the posts rounded up for a tidy Top 10 List that will follow the next afternoon. Now boogie down with your bad self and hunt-and-peck your suggestions out.

don't consider, just do.

OK, Mr. Impatient. :neenerneener:

I going to make a blanket nomination for the expanded use of alt/renewable fuels for use in ICEs.

Why haven't we been seeing more results on the following?

- fuels from algae

- The Coskata cellulosic ethanol process

- Natural gas powered vehicles

- Propane powered vehicles

- Bio-diesel powered vehicles

- Hydrogen powered ICE vehicles ( and the Penn State process of hydrogen generation that makes it a viable fuel).

We should be trying all of these out in the real world.

• Agree 2

Here's one that came and went instead of getting a second generation version.

The Delphi 4-wheel steering for full size pickups (Quadrasteer). It's flat - out amazing to watch one of these trucks handle a tight spot. I'd love to own one someday.

I really felt like something good was lost when this got cancelled.

Here's one that came and went instead of getting a second generation version.

The Delphi 4-wheel steering for full size pickups (Quadrasteer). It's flat - out amazing to watch one of these trucks handle a tight spot. I'd love to own one someday.

I really felt like something good was lost when this got cancelled.

I was actually thinking that one also, but dropped the idea after realizing they actually built it