Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

1959 gmc Truck (Philadelphia)

BTW, that's no '59 (single headlights)... looks like a '57 to me :o

Hood is easily replacable, and cabs have been on CL off and on. I just may have to call the seller asking about his price...

Looks like tree fell on it. The roofline looks kinda of how the U shaped dent in the silver van looked after a tree fell on it. Luckily, that van is just storage... and later for scrap.

Actually, I wonder if a good body person could massage that hood out? Ocn? Hard to tell from the photo how stretched out the metal is, or how damaged the inner supports are but it looks like a simple dent... just a big one.

I suppose if the cab is solid enough, it might be worth putting a new roof on it... finding good roofs is likely easier than finding good cabs. Plus you could then adjust the roof height if you want.

Good point WRT the cab/roof- getting just a solid roof would be easier and cheaper than picking up a whole solid cab. Welding the roof on would be a breeze too.

IMO, it'd be better to secure another hood, but most anything with good workable sheet metal like this truck can be fixed.

I'd much sooner replace a hood with that much damage, a simple bolt-on operation. I suppose it could be done (straightening), if the owner has like beaucoup bucks for labor and demands all original sheetmetal... but then, over this truck's lifetime, who's to say if it is original?

I'd much sooner replace a hood with that much damage, a simple bolt-on operation. I suppose it could be done (straightening), if the owner has like beaucoup bucks for labor and demands all original sheetmetal... but then, over this truck's lifetime, who's to say if it is original?

I didn't realize there was a repro available... I just figured a reasonably rust free hood would be much harder to find, especially considering shipping if it has to come to the east coast from the desert.

Thats a pricy repro, though... $660... a far cry from the repros for the '73-'90 trucks. Hopefully for that money, its a quality piece.

Its pretty sweet how many parts are available for these now. Including the $9000 cab, you can basically build one of these from scratch. Now I'm getting interested in a '50s GM pickup.

I didn't realize there was a repro available... I just figured a reasonably rust free hood would be much harder to find, especially considering shipping if it has to come to the east coast from the desert.

Thats a pricy repro, though... $660... a far cry from the repros for the '73-'90 trucks. Hopefully for that money, its a quality piece.

Its pretty sweet how many parts are available for these now. Including the $9000 cab, you can basically build one of these from scratch. Now I'm getting interested in a '50s GM pickup.

Yeah, I have the LMC Truck catalog at home for Chevy & GMC trucks of this vintage... trust me, there's all sorts of metal parts available to fix whatever is needed.

I like the roof-swap suggestion though, because any donor '55-'59 GM truck could be used.