Ask the Experts: Oldsmobiles

While attending the All-GM Nationals show in Carlisle, PA this past Saturday, I fell in love with something I've always had a soft spot for - a 1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser station wagon (this one was not for sale). However, a quick look on Craigslist today brought me to this 1991 model:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2457511935.html

So Custom Cruiser experts, I ask for your knowledge, advice, insight, opinion on this '91. I am very tempted...

On the other hand, the step-son wants to go check this 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue (GX?) out for his daily driver:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/ctd/2459492470.html

So I ask the Intrigue/W-body experts for your knowledge, advice, insight, opinion on this one for sale. Anything to pay attention to in particular?

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Wagon for $1000? Buy it. Assuming it looks as good in person as in the pictures, its worth it.

If you get bored with it, I would likely buy it off you in a heartbeat. I'd buy it right now, if my financial situation was different.

What to look for? Well, you want to look over the usual things... and pay attention to the Olds-specific parts, as those will likely forever be difficult to replace. Otherwise, these are pretty darn bulletproof and most wear parts will be available cheaply for decades.

Yeah, a $1,000 seems like quite a deal for the type of car it is :smilewide: I just hope it's in really good condition with no major frame rust.

What is Oldsmobile-specific? I know the rims, steering wheel, hood/grille are. What else?

Rims, Steering wheel, Dashboard(IIRC). The hood should be the same as the Caprice and Roadmaster wagon... the unique grill bolts to the front of the hood. Even though the vista window survived on Roadmasters, its still relatively rare, so be sure its in decent shape along with the trim around it.

7663 made in '91. 4347 in '92.

There's also this one listed too in Norristown/Plymounth, PA:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2430655976.html

The seller emailed me some pictures:

post-418-0-24246000-1309200163.jpg

post-418-0-80526100-1309200181.jpg

post-418-0-79832800-1309200193.jpg

post-418-0-62390300-1309200205.jpg

They also provided this extra info in texts: no mechanical issues, leather on driver seat is peeling, inside is clean and not beat up/dirty, a/c needs to be recharged, no accidents, body has minor dents but no chips/cracking paint/rust, runs good but upgraded to a new car and is motivated to sell

What are the odds of finding two at the same price and the same time.

Strike while the iron is hot.

Oddly when he brought this up, I thought, Jeez, I have not seen a '91/'92 Custom Cruiser in a while... and *poof* a White/Burgundy one appeared at PetSmart.

Well, the red one (first one posted) is no longer listed on CL and the seller is not responding to my emails. I'll consider that one "sold".

I am trying to figure out if I can get to Norristown/Plymouth Meeting tonight as I hoped to yesterday. If not, I will try for tomorrow. I am interested in checking out this car and seeing how motivated the seller is on the price.

What are the odds of finding two at the same price and the same time.

Strike while the iron is hot.

Oddly when he brought this up, I thought, Jeez, I have not seen a '91/'92 Custom Cruiser in a while... and *poof* a White/Burgundy one appeared at PetSmart.

Yeah, that happens to me every once in a while (seeing a CC when I haven't seen one in a while). I was a big fan of the all-new full-size B-body station wagons when they debutted in 1991. My favorite of the three of course was the Custom Cruiser, and I was sad to see that it was only a 2-year model. I'd prefer to have a '92 model because of the 5.7L 350 V8 engine, but this is not something that would be a daily driver so I can be flexible. I just don't want to buy a money pit!! :lol:

Okay, have some questions that maybe someone can answer:

1. PA Title - anything needed in addition to the PA title to re-title it in NJ? I have never bought a car out-of-state.

2. Getting it home - I guess I will need to find a way to tow it home if I go for this. Plans would be to store it for now (don't ask me where, I haven't thought that far in advance!) and get it registered/insured at a later time.

3. Maybe this should be directed at SAmadei: Would it be worth the effort to get it registered as limited production vehicle since it is five years away from being considered "antique/classic"? That could help with insurance & registration costs.

Anyone wanna go see the white one with me tonight or tomorrow night? :P

For a custom, would be interesting to adapt the front end of one of those onto a Roadmaster sedan and install Ninety-Eight taillights..make a phantom Olds sedan.

I always invisioned using the '91-'92 Caprice body for that, and just needed to figure out how to rework the rear end for vertical taillights. a'la the Ninety-Eight style from the previous generation.

1G3BP8371NW301943A.jpg

4012570004_large.jpg

chevrolet_caprice_classic.jpg

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

For a custom, would be interesting to adapt the front end of one of those onto a Roadmaster sedan and install Ninety-Eight taillights..make a phantom Olds sedan.

I always invisioned using the '91-'92 Caprice body for that, and just needed to figure out how to rework the rear end for vertical taillights. a'la the Ninety-Eight style from the previous generation.

I was thinking the Roadmaster for the more formal roofline...though a Caprice would be good for a RWD '88' and the Roadmaster for a RWD '98' phantom...

1. PA Title - anything needed in addition to the PA title to re-title it in NJ? I have never bought a car out-of-state.

2. Getting it home - I guess I will need to find a way to tow it home if I go for this. Plans would be to store it for now (don't ask me where, I haven't thought that far in advance!) and get it registered/insured at a later time.

No, not really. I only drive cars legally, so any car I buy usually requires two trips... one to pick up the title, one to pick up the car, once the plates are transferred.

In your case, the owner will sign off the PA title, you will take it to the NJ MVS and they will give you a supplemental form to add info that is required on a NJ title, but may not be on the out of state title. (In some cases, NY cars over 10 years have no title at all, so you show up with a bill of sale and then fill out EVERYTHING on the supplemental form)

I would keep the guy's number handy, in case you need additional info. I am pretty familiar with whats on a NJ title, so I make notes on what I'll need ahead of time. I suppose you could pick up the supplemental form ahead of time.

At this time you can register it and you should go home with a freshly printed NJ title (In years past, they had to mail the title to you).

Sounds to me like you are going to trailer it home or sneak it home. I'm not judging.

3. Maybe this should be directed at SAmadei: Would it be worth the effort to get it registered as limited production vehicle since it is five years away from being considered "antique/classic"? That could help with insurance & registration costs.

Remember, in NJ, the registration/plates and insurance are separate issues.

With only 7600 made, I think you would have a pretty good shot at getting it registered as limited production (collectable).

Remember, however, the only benefits collectable or antique really give you are reduced registration costs and not needing to go through the inspection process... but they will monitor mileage.

If you want to insure it with classic car insurance, you can do that with normal plates... generally as long as you are over 25, have a primary (normally insured) vehicle, keep the classic car locked in a garage at night and the classic car has an agreed value of over $3000 or so, you can get the classic insurance.

Would it be worth it? Maybe. The registration is a one time $25, IIRC. So you save at least $25 the first year and at least $50 each year on registration costs. Probably somewhat more, as the wagon is in a higher weight class. To me, the benefit is skipping inspection... but if the CC is running clean, that is not much of a hassle, now that the mechanical inspection is history.

Anyone wanna go see the white one with me tonight or tomorrow night? :P

I wish I could. Too far and not enough time.

I've seen pics of a black Impala with a Custom Cruiser front clip, clear taillights and oval Olds badges at an autocross, but I'll be darned if I can find them again.

I"ve seen that too. There was an old B-Body website years ago that had that. The owner even swapped out the steering wheel and airbag covers with ones from an 88 I think.

Okay, now this is getting weird... another '91 has shown up in my CL area for sale:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2470447977.html

A little higher mileage than I want, and the price is out of my range too...

BTW, I'm going Saturday afternoon to see the white one posted above (post #7)... pray that it is in decent enough shape to make we want to buy it! :P

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Okay, now this is getting weird... another '91 has shown up in my CL area for sale:

http://southjersey.c...2470447977.html

A little higher mileage than I want, and the price is out of my range too...

BTW, I'm going Saturday afternoon to see the white one posted above (post #7)... pray that it is in decent enough shape to make we want to buy it! :P

Not too far off my beaten path. Too pricy, though, especially for a little dealer like that... probably all show and questionable go.

Funny, since seeing the CC, I've seen about 20 '91-'96 wagons. The holiday is really causing them to come out of the woodwork this week. Even the white Roadmaster doing pizza duty turned back up.

check the robustness of the front inner fenders, they have a tendency to rot and wouldn't pass inspection that way.

Maybe in PA. In NJ (before we did away with mechanical inspection), we really only had to worry about exterior rust holes. And covering them with duct tape was sufficient to get through inspection.

Its a good idea to have unhole-y inner front fenders, anyway... but at least they are easier to replace than other holey parts.