Strike? Consumers Couldn't Care Less

This is opinion but it mirrors my sentiments about GM, the UAW, DPH, etc...

Strike? Consumers Couldn't Care Less

By Warren Brown

Sunday, April 9, 2006; Page G02

At last word, negotiators for the bankrupt Delphi Corp. and the United Auto Workers were at loggerheads.

Delphi, once one of the world's greatest automotive parts suppliers, last week petitioned the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York for release from its labor agreements with the UAW and other unions. The petition, part of a larger plan to restructure Delphi into a smaller, more efficient company, also asks that Delphi be allowed to alter certain contracts between itself and its largest customer, General Motors Corp.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6040701398.html

Not only doesn't the consumer care, but niether does the "street". I was listening to a wall street report for the week that just ended. It was all roses. No mention of this situation. In my opinion, no mention of the true state of the economy either. We are into a very strange era in history. There are such big economic changes occuring that the demise of GM, Delphi, and the UAW won't even register on our minds.

I can understand the consumer indifference/ambivalence...honestly, I'm ambivalent myself.

I'm not union, no one in my family is, and I think my industry (software) has had a lot more layoffs in the last 5 years than the auto industry--high paying, educated white collar cubicle jobs, some of which have been outsourced. Even through that, though, there are still a lot of companies hiring, so the future looks good in my line of work.

If some union workers in the Midwest strike, it's just not relevant to my reality.

The transit workers were on strike here last week, I noticed it because traffic was heavier and parking downtown much harder to find.

That said, I want to see the old big 3 survive, as they have vehicles I would definitely consider buying in the future..

i've been saying this for awhile. especially the folks with money don't care, in fact, they want to see the dismantling of detroit as some sort of 'i told you so' and contempt versus all detroit's management and line workers.

no article can even scratch the surface of how deep some folks hold contempt and ill will versus american auto companies. most of that is rooted in the liberal urban baby boomers who now have tons of money and influence in all of our consumer and governmental spending. Cars like the Prius then capitalize on that by rubbing salt in the wound more.

the average low middle class folk have no problems shopping chevy, since that's what they can afford. but the folks as i described above have gone to great lengths to make folks feel really small for driving or considering American.

That said, i think folks need to buy what suits them, what I am opposed to is the holier than thou opinions foisted on us by these holier than thou upperclass and uppermiddle class dinks.

Edited by regfootball

But Bancruptcy, which is where the the strike leads is another issue. Bancruptcy is a big issue with the consumer.

Bankruptcy's double curse for carmakers

Report says 3 out of 4 Americans wouldn't buy a car from broke firm, as speculation swirls around GM

December 28, 2005: 12:47 PM EST

DETROIT (Reuters) - Almost three of every four American consumers polled would not buy a car from a manufacturer that had declared bankruptcy, according to a recent survey, giving struggling U.S. automaker General Motors Corp. something else to think about.

Seventy-four percent of respondents said they would not purchase or lease a new car from a bankrupt automaker, according to a survey released by Cincinnati-based research firm Directions Research Inc. Twenty-six percent said they would buy from a manufacturer in that position.

Edited by Ghost Dog

I have a friend who is like this, having contempt for American cars. He swares imports are far superior to Americans, we get into arguements all the time cuz he thhinks Dodges in particular are junk. He has an Accord and an old PoS sh1t-colored Volvo. The Volvo's power windows don't work, some of the interior lights don't work, the sunroof doesn't work, and that Acoord had a blown transmission (his is a 2002). My "unreliable" Dodge has it's original engine and tranny, and aside from having to replace the wiring harness that connects to the HVAC controls cuz it overheated from corrosion, it hasn't had much in the way of problems in years. Did I mention it is 17 years old with 207k miles on it? Who's got the unreliable PoS now b1tch?!

there is a large part of the American population these days that is so self interested and self righteous that I think GM/Ford really should just write those customers off and not even bother. I think these are the folks that buy japanese mostly, without even looking at anything else.

GM should go to lengths to cultivate a new following from the younger groups and also solidify their current fan base; in addition they ought to also begin to cultivate a relationship with folks that like German cars and try to develop some products that will appeal to that group as well, albeit at a lower price.

Edited by regfootball

there is a large part of the American population these days that is so self interested and self righteous that I think GM/Ford really should just write those customers off and not even bother.

Spoken like an old time GM employee.

Give me a break - Blame the consumer for GM's/Ford's woes.

Times have changed and people just do not care the same way anymore about traditional American vehicle brands.

So the facts are straight it is GM, Ford and to a less extent Chrysler Groups self interests and self righteousness over the past 30 years that created the situation they find themselves in today.

finding themselves ... becoming irrelevant very quickly.

Edited by evok

At a GM meeting last week, GM's own figures show that fully 75% of consumers in the greater Toronto area don't even consider GM when looking for a new vehicle. Although I shouldn't be surprised, I find those numbers breathtaking!

Of course, I have a number of theories to help explain those numbers, but it wouldn't be PC to discuss them................

At a GM meeting last week, GM's own figures show that fully 75% of consumers in the greater Toronto area don't even consider GM when looking for a new vehicle.  Although I shouldn't be surprised, I find those numbers breathtaking!

Of course, I have a number of theories to help explain those numbers, but it wouldn't be PC to discuss them................

Since GM's market share is just a little south of 25%, it must be that everyone that considers a GM car buys it.

Actually, in the GTA, GM's market share hangs on to 15%. They are talking about people who CONSIDER a GM vehicle - only 25% CONSIDER them. Even less BUY. Yet, GM claims the Toronto zone is the only zone to post sales increases so far this year. Go figure.

Perhaps the success of the Aveo, Cobalt, etc. is starting to pay off.