"How's My Driving?"

Stuck on a sunny, dry 2-lane highway in a 55 mph zone doing 45 the other day, double yellow lines mocking my plight, behind a Toyota Highlander with a "HOW'S MY DRIVING" sticker with a car number and phone number. No traffic ahead of him (because they're all doing 55 and they're way ahead). Wondering if I'm on television somewhere.

After about 5 miles of this, the road goes to 4 lanes and he sticks in the left lane. There's an immediate intersection. As I pass him on the right, I notice he's been gabbing on his cell phone the whole time as he turns left off the highway.

Ah yes, the torture of having a solution to a driving cell phone jabberjaw (the phone number on the sticker), but being unable to use it (no cell phone use while driving, my personal rule). Plus I get no happiness watching him get schmaller in my rearview because he turned off as soon as I had the chance to blow by.

Edited by ocnblu

I hate cell phone drivers. I try not to talk on the phone while driving as well.

I DO find it funny that everyone is up in arms about "holding cell phones" right now (at least here in NC)

"We're going to make it where NO ONE can hold a cell phone while driving" Umm, yeah... I'm pretty sure the distraction comes from the CONVERSION the person is having on the cell phone, not holding the cell phone itself. LOL

I hate cell phone drivers. I try not to talk on the phone while driving as well.

I DO find it funny that everyone is up in arms about "holding cell phones" right now (at least here in NC)

"We're going to make it where NO ONE can hold a cell phone while driving" Umm, yeah... I'm pretty sure the distraction comes from the CONVERSION the person is having on the cell phone, not holding the cell phone itself. LOL

It is both I think. The cell phone gives you only one hand to do everything else while driving. Hands free is much safer than a cell phone. If you don't have it sitting in your lap or a cup holder, etc., and have to go find it in your pocket or purse then that's a pretty big distraction.

When I get a phone call in the Camaro, I just press a button on the steering wheel and never have to look down to get the phone to answer it.

The bigger problem is texting, because you have to look down constantly, at least on most phones, to see what you're writing.

OCN... no, it just needs to have Bluetooth (which most phones from the last 5 years do). The car acts like a giant wireless headset.

I think one of the major problems with holding a cell phone is that not only do you now have one less hand free, but you are also less likely to turn your head to do a proper shoulder check as it is more difficult to do so.