Ah Volkswagen

ocnblu

I loved driving my VWs... but every one of them had a problem... or three or four. '92 Golf was built with inadequate water shielding for the drive belts... recalled to install a splash shield that should have been an elementary part of development testing. And the clutch linkage fell apart in a parking lot far from home. I think I used a paper clip to refasten it until I could get to the dealer. First '98 Beetle had loud squeaky brakes, and this was at a time when EVERYBODY turned their head to look at it... I used to coast as slow as I could before pressing the pedal to avoid turning ppl's smiles into quizzical stares. Second '98 Beetle overheated the first weekend I had it while driving in clogged Annapolis. So hot, in fact, the glue that held the VW emblem to the hood melted, allowing the emblem to fly off. I also lost the shift quadrant applique off the shifter, among other parts, and this was in the few months I had it. Even my beloved '00 GTI 1.8t had electrical issues with the power windows... the ability to open and close the windows by turning the key in the door lock was great... but the "pinch protection" was a little too protective... it would reverse the windows randomly with no restriction to trigger them.

But they drive so great... if a person can put up with such foibles, driving a VW is a truly synergistic affair. They've got the major things spot-on. If they could get the little things right... they'd have little trouble shooting to #1.

• Agree 1

>>"If they could get the little things right... they'd have little trouble shooting to #1. "<<

Maybe, but their reputation for being problematic is well-earned and long-running, and thusly unlikely to change soon.

I know it's not legitimate, but I tend to think that VW 'got too big for its britches' when it went beyond it's proven formula of simplistic transportation.

Apart from a bunch of recalls (coil pack, heat shield, gas filler pipe shield, cowl drain...), my '02 Passat has been pretty reliable. Nothing catastrophic, never left me stranded, just normal wear and tear... if perhaps a bit premature:

- Thermostat, water pump, timing belt @ 80K

- Rear shocks @ 90K

- CV boots @ 95K

- Upper control arm bushings @ 95K

I change the oil every 5,000 with synthetic, so none of the sludge problems that commonly plague the longitudinal 1.8T in the US. It has 100K miles now, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across country. Back in the day, it was pretty advanced and ahead of its time... AFAIK, no other midsize family sedan had curtain airbags, headrests for every passenger, a five-speed automatic (with Tiptronic, no less), height and lumbar adjustable seats for both driver and passenger, standard trip computer and traction control, three power outlets, fully lined trunk, lockable split folding rear seat, aero wiper blades, projector headlights and fog lights, EcoBoost before it was called EcoBoost, etc.

Before I wrecked it, my Jetta was as trouble free as possible. Beyond basic maintenance, I never had to worry about anything with it. I would still call it my most reliable car thus far.

Now, my Golf was another story, but I blame that more on the life it lived before my ownership. I ended up dumping too much money into things it didn't really need and soon enough, it wasn't worth putting more money into it for the things it did need.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Empowah, all I can guess is... perhaps Volkswagens only break while under warranty...?:huh:

What's interesting to me as well is that before my accident, my VW only had things failing while it was under warranty! After the warranty expired and I had 70+K miles, absolutely trouble free. Strange...

I'd love to own a GTI, but....not sure that I trust VW.

one of the autocross guys I race with, bought a VW Jetta GLI brand new....drove it over 800,000 (Yeah, 800,000!) miles without any major problems, and then sold it...almost bought it back again....

That was one going vee dub....Motor and tranny were NOT rebuilt in that 800,000...

Funny, some things that can be said of VWs can also be said of Jeeps, the electrical issues especially (a buddy of mine has a '98 Classic with a quirk where, if he turns on his left turn signal and hits the brakes, the hazard signals come on; my power windows are a little more reliable than his ... although his windows work do consistently in temperatures below freezing).

Hunky dude I went to school with would only purchase SAABs with over 200k miles, said they were most reliable then. Of course, that was back in the day, not sure what he's driving now. I've heard the same said for Volvo 240s.

Edited by ocnblu