Alfa Romeo 159 Drives Off Into The Sunset

Alfa Romeo 159 Drives Off Into The Sunset

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

September 3, 2011

post-10485-0-84202100-1315085448.jpg

Alfa Romeo's 159 has been given it's pink slip. According to italiaspeed, Fiat has ended 159 production at a assembly plant in Naples to get it retooled for production of the Fiat Panda. In certain markets, the 159 has disappeared from order sheets; in other markets, 159s are available due to dealers stockpiling them.

The 159 was the successor to the popular and well-received Alfa Romeo 156. Introduced in 2005, the 159 promised many things but didn't deliver. The design done by Giugiaro was well received, but would cause the 159 to have poor aerodynamics. The GM-sourced platform and range of engines didn't serve the car well. Also, the 159 was built with the mindset of selling it in the US, but that day has been pushed back and back and back some more.

With the ending of 159 production this leaves both Alfa Romeo and Fiat between a Rock and a hard place. Aside from the Maserati Quattroporte and Lancia-badged Chrysler, the largest models on sale in the Fiat family are the the Golf-sized Alfa Giulietta, Lancia Delta and Fiat Bravo hatchbacks. The 159's successor, the Giulia isn't expected to come out till 2013 due to delays.

Source: italiaspeed

Sigh...they build some beautiful cars...that are a pain in the arse to own....

Would love to see them bring a GTI sized and style car to the US...but it ain't gonna happen.

Oh, boy... Wonde ist it's here we go again with talks of Alga being ditched... Usually the argument for FIAT cutting a brand has been jumping from Alfa to Lancia and back to Alfa and back to Lancia... Now with Lancia paired with Chrysler, I don't know where that leaves Alfa... Pairing with Dodge?

The only "Italian" car I'd probably ever own would be the "Tiger Hunt" Cadillac V16.

First I need to win the power-ball. [lottery]

One of the most distinct and attractive entry lux sedans available in Europe. Sad to see it go.

Agreed. I fell in love with the 159 when I lived in Spain. It manages to pull off what few cars can--it's gorgeous without coming across as pretentious. Sad to see it go.