2012 Focus SEL

pow

Since Zipcar now offers Focii, and since that's a vehicle I would seriously consider, I thought I'd borrow one for 2 hours while they're still mint, and see what's what.

2012 Focus SEL 5-door - $21,XXX (no options) and 700 miles on the odo

PROS:

silent engine, low NVH, very polished powertrain overall

good build quality; not VW solid but still feels very substantial

high-quality switchgear (solid buttons, switches, knobs)

SEL gets soft upper door panels = nice

supportive and comfy front buckets (even without sport seats)

seats keep you fresh after a long drive

superb tracking and stability; great on LA freeways, not perturbed by expansion joints, wind, uneven surfaces, undulations, road camber; no tramlining or steering kickback; what a trooper, it feels like it drives itself

great ride and handling balance

snappy acceleration

PowerShift dual-clutch automatic works great in normal driving; shifts are quick and unobtrusive, not slushy like a torque converter automatic; keeps the car humming along in city traffic

averaged 28 MPG even though I was driving it enthusiastically

MEH:

so-so fabric and leather (on the steering wheel)

SYNC - too many menus to go through, no apps or internet radio, only Bluetooth audio

boring looks with the standard 16-inch wheels and cloth interior

steering could use more feel

body roll could be tamed, certainly not a hot hatch yet

brakes feel unremarkable

transmission occasionally in the wrong gear when driving aggressively

interior room par for the course - good for a family provided they're not obese

CONS:

rear visibility is a problem, blind spot mirrors help

rake of windshield pillars gets in the way

couldn't get backrest angle right; knob or power adjustment would be better

manumatic controls kinda lame

Overall, I really liked it. At $21K it's not particularly posh, stylish, exciting, or well-equipped, but it is a solid, efficient, practical hatchback that drives very well. You can tell it's a high quality, expertly engineered car underneath (great "bones") that is more than capable of handling more power or luxuries. The SEL model I drove felt a bit spartan, but I could imagine what a Titanium model would be like -- probably as nice as an A3. This bodes well for the ST, which could be a GTI killer. Even as it is, I haven't driven a $21K car that took me from A-to-B (traversing mountain roads and disintegrating concrete freeways along the way) with less fuss or strain. Sometimes the best cars are those you don't really notice. And yet the Focus is among the most interesting cars in its class...

OVERALL: 9.0 out of 10

'rake of windshield pillars' is a persistent problem in most modern cars.

This is one of those instances where safety (greatly reduced visibility) takes a back seat to Gov't regulation (ultimately; CAFE).

Not really... it's more for aesthetic reasons. The three-box Cruze Eco has the same Cd as the more sporty looking Focus.

'rake of windshield pillars' is a persistent problem in most modern cars.

This is one of those instances where safety (greatly reduced visibility) takes a back seat to Gov't regulation (ultimately; CAFE).

oNE REAL REASON i LIKE THE mini, IT DOESN'T SUFFER FROM THIS PROBLEM.

THE LATEST cIVIC IS LIKE DRIVING THE CONCORDE DOWN A RUNWAY...

aND NICE REVIEW, THIS CAR IS AN EXCELLENT EFFORT FROM fORED.

Whoa, what's in yer sippy cup this afternoon, 66? ;)

I moved a 2012 Focus sedan rental this afternoon after a customer parked it in like the middle of our lot in a random spot.

I'm glad I bought the Cruze. The Ford feels positively claustrophobic after driving the Chevrolet, with the door panels and console making my little self feel like I had no room to move.

The Focus is like a person you'd like to have a one night stand with, only to chew your arm off at 5 a.m., where the Cruze is a comfortable friend that builds into a satisfying orgasm... it makes you want to come back for more.

• 1 month later...

I drove an SE Sport model yesterday and it addressed most of my complaints with the SEL. What a dream to drive. With the sport suspension, it felt hunkered down and responsive yet refined and compliant at the same time. I found the sport seats perfect. Seriously considering swapping the Passat for one...

• 7 months later...

nice review. focus is a good effort from ford.

Good effort but I really don't like the dashboard, or how the A pillars get in the way.

Overall....I'd give it a 7 or 8 rather than a 9.

Still a better car than a lot of the competition, however.