So What Are The Trade-Ins For The Chevrolet Volt & Nissan Leaf?

So What Are The Trade-Ins For The Chevrolet Volt & Nissan Leaf?

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

October 24, 2011

post-10485-0-64011400-1319498567.png

For the first nine months of 2011, more than 10,000 EVs were sold with most of them being the Nissan Leaf. But there arises an interesting question; what are buyers of the Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Volt trading in? The LA Times obtained some information from automotive research firm R.L. Polk & Co.

The number one trade-in for both vehicles? The Toyota Prius. GM says the Prius is the most frequent car traded in, with 7% of trade-ins. Nissan says the Prius makes up about 18% of trade-ins for a new Leaf.

Other facts from R.L. Polk & Co., say a high number of German cars (about 6%) were traded in during the first six months of 2011 for a Volt and 38% of trade-ins for a Nissan Leaf were a Toyota product.

Source: LA Times

This might be off-topic, but I'd like to say I think the Volt should be a model for other Chevys from a design perspective. Shape aside (it's compromised for fuel-efficiency), the Volt's detailing and front and rear fascias are purposeful and have a strong identity. I find a lot of newer Chevys (Spark, Sonic, Orlando, Malibu, etc.) to be really fussy and overdone. The Volt's front fascia (headlights, especially) is really well done and looks way more upscale and cleaner than other stuff the brand is coming up with.

I don't agree Chevy gives each model an identity of its own. While being familiar in the face which I'm on the fence with that, the styling of the rest of the car gives it it's uniqueness. I for one don't want a line of Chevys that are 100, 85, 75, 65, 55, 45% of the same car as some lines strive for.

This might be off-topic, but I'd like to say I think the Volt should be a model for other Chevys from a design perspective. Shape aside (it's compromised for fuel-efficiency), the Volt's detailing and front and rear fascias are purposeful and have a strong identity. I find a lot of newer Chevys (Spark, Sonic, Orlando, Malibu, etc.) to be really fussy and overdone. The Volt's front fascia (headlights, especially) is really well done and looks way more upscale and cleaner than other stuff the brand is coming up with.

I looked at a Volt side-by-side with a Cruze at the dealership yesterday and I have to agree with this.

The detailing on the Volt is very good.