Cheers or Jeers: 1948 Oshkosh W906

Cheers or Jeers?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Cheers or Jeers?

• Cheers! She's ready for winter with road-gripping four wheel drive and pump for a plow!
    • Jeers! Needs too much work and you're not doing much winter driving with no windows.

Cheers or Jeers: 1948 Oshkosh W906

GREAT PROJECT TRUCK! 1948 Oshkosh 4x4 dump truck. Originally had v-plow and wing plow but they were removed years ago and are no longer available. However, I believe I still have the main front mounted hydraulic pump. Mechanically very functional, engine runs smooth transmission works fine and hydraulics for the dump body all work. Pictures were taken with the engine running and you can see there is no smoke in exhaust. Engine is a Cummins NHC 220. Transmission is a 4 speed coupled to a 2 speed transfer case. I bought this unit about 15 years ago from my local county highway department, and at the time I bought it I was told by the highway personnel that they had just had the engine professionally rebuilt at and expense of over $5,000.00!! But the money was in their budget for a new truck so it this one had to go. I bought it originally for the engine in it, but found that it was kind of a handy truck to have around the farm. I Haven't used it in the last few years so it's time to move it. However it is a project truck now as a lot of the original wood frame in the cab doors are in various stages of decay. The outer door skins are in good shape as shown in pictures, but the wooden frame in the passenger door is pretty much gone. The drivers door is still intact and operational, but will need attention soon. The seats are shot. The headliner is coming down. The batteries are junk. Both windows in doors are broke, and the rear window of cab has come out and is in the cab. There is very little rust on this unit - a little in the bed of the dump body, but very little. Mechanically, the emergency brake drum is broken in half and the rest of the emergency brake shoes have been removed a while ago, so when it gets going about 20 mph it has quite a vibration caused by the broken brake drum that is fastened to the drive shaft. Brakes are air brakes but need attention, they do work but need adjusting. It is a 24 volt starting system and works fine as long as you have the 4 6volt batteries installed.

$(KGrHqR,!h!E7RKNLKIEBO174Y!M,w~~60_4.JPG

• 2 weeks later...