BMW News: Spying: BMW i8

William Maley

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

December 29, 2011

BMW is serious with their upcoming i lineup with the i3 and i8 due out in 2014. The i series will utilize BMW’s LifeDrive architecture, which essentially is a composite body/passenger cell mated to a powertrain unit (or units).

BMW is busy doing testing on both models to get them ready and an i8 was recently caught by a spy photographer.

Designwise, the i8 mule stays true to the concept except for the doors. The pictures show the mule dropping the long glass doors for carbon fiber for better protection in crashes. The front end reveals that i8 will come with active aerodynamics; shutters in upper and/or lower grilles to help control airflow.

Other design cues on this mule include the roofline separating from the vehicle and then coming back at the rear end and cooling ducts for the gas engine.

Speaking of the gas engine, the i8 will use a three-cylinder combined with a electric motor. A long, lithium-polymer battery pack residing in what would normally be the transmission tunnel completes the powertrain.

Source: Car & Driver

View full article

wouldn't it make more sense if a model called I8 was powered by an I8 engine?

No. The M3 and M5 aren't powered by a 3 or 5 cyl, the Z4 doesn't necessarily have a 4cyl, and the X5 doesn't have a 5cyl. Haven't seen an explanation of the 'i' prefix as far as the new sub-series goes, but I assume it's for 'intelligent' or 'innovation'.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Z4 doesn't have a 4cyl

well... actually....

I guess it does..base version maybe? I always think of it as a 6 cyl model..

Z4 doesn't have a 4cyl

well... actually....

I guess it does..base version maybe? I always think of it as a 6 cyl model..

Well here for previous generation and first MY of new generation. Z4 in EU has been equipped with 4 cylinders since its inception.

Haven't seen an explanation of the 'i' prefix as far as the new sub-series goes, but I assume it's for 'intelligent' or 'innovation'.

LOL - "i" still stands for fuel injection. BMW welcomes you to 1975. ;)

An I8 would really stand out in the field (not that being the only brand still carrying the '1954 inline torch' isn't, already).

They bolt 2 more cylinders on & market it as a 'big brother' to the 6. :D

• Disagree 1

Haven't seen an explanation of the 'i' prefix as far as the new sub-series goes, but I assume it's for 'intelligent' or 'innovation'.

LOL - "i" still stands for fuel injection. BMW welcomes you to 1975. ;)

No, that's i when it's used at the end..like 328i. This is the 'i' subbrand like M, X, or Z. Different paradigm.