Old Generation Trailblazer AWD SS

David

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for input from those that might have some inside knowledge on the Chevy Trailblazer AWD SS.

I am currently looking at buying a 2008 White AWD SS with only 36K miles, one owner, An Arizona couple that has had it garaged.

I know the magazines talk highly about this suv and say check out the brakes, tires, make sure no aftermarket performance mods have been done.

CarFax comes back clean with all maintenance done on it, no accidents and confirming the single owner.

So the big question, being 4 years old with only 36K miles on it, what else should I look at on this baby. There does not seem to be a whole lot of info on problems or repairs. I am starting to see many of them show up at local dealers with between 50 to 150K miles. The corvette V8 engine seems to have solid reviews as does the power train in general. Motor Trend mentions that these SUV's can eat up the Goodyear RS/A tires and Corvette disc brakes, but does not mention much else.

This auto is not fully loaded as it has cloth seats rather than the upgraded leather and it does not have the NAV system, but does have the sun roof. Also I run Mobile 1 on all my other GM auto's. Any reason I should not run it on this bad boy? Thinking of going all synthetic for it.

Your thoughts and input is greatly appreciated.

Edited by dfelt

We sell a lot of performance parts for these. Most owners are pretty happy with them and they don't see any wide spread issues. I do see a lot of these crashed as I think some people buy these are not ready for this kind of power.

The main complain I hear is I wish it got better MPG but they are willing to put up with is as that is just the cost of a heavy vehicle with a lot of power.

I had considered one too but gas had just spiked and I was looking to improve my daily driver MPG.

I would say you may have a good one here if it has few repairs and is not modified. Most cases buying a modified one is a risk because you never can tell the quality of the work and the abuse the car had.

These things are like Vettes they either are really in good shape or abused to death.

Mobil One should be fine. Look at the oil cap and it may state to use it on the cap. Most of GMs performance cars use Mobil One.

One thing about these that rubs me the wrong way is the fact that the CV shafts run through the oil pan. I haven't heard that there is any problem stemming from that, but it still bugs me.

Only other thing I can think of is that a GM tech I know says they are a real hassle to work on.

Trailblazer SS without leather and nav, Offer them 19.5K tops. Check the trailvoy.com website for all the info on SS Trailblazers. I hear some had tranny problems with lead footed owners.

I've seen some nice under 50k miles SS Trailblazers Loaded with AWD, nav, sunroof, etc for under 22K on ebay. Good Luck on your purchase on any Trailblazer SS you buy. They are really a nice truck.

Trailblazer SS without leather and nav, Offer them 19.5K tops. Check the trailvoy.com website for all the info on SS Trailblazers. I hear some had tranny problems with lead footed owners.

I've seen some nice under 50k miles SS Trailblazers Loaded with AWD, nav, sunroof, etc for under 22K on ebay. Good Luck on your purchase on any Trailblazer SS you buy. They are really a nice truck.

There are many tranny issues on many GM cars of this era if someone has messed with the programing. Some tuners like to leave the full power on at the shift points and it can lead to tranny failure in many cases.

Leaving the full power in at the shift points picks up a lot of easy performance but if you drive it hard it kills the tranny,.

Thanks guys for your input. Seattle is expecting a major snow storm this afternoon through tomorrow, so figure I will go check it out on thursday or friday. Will update everyone once I consumate a deal whether it is this one o some other one. :P

Cool find! This is the one TrailBlazer I would consider myself (I'm an Envoy guy). I've had my 2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD for almost two years now (35k at purchase, has 58k now) with no major issues (a lot of minor stuff was done under the warranty within the first three months I had it). No tranny problems, no engine problems in that time. Absolutely love my rig, though fuel mileage isn't great it's what comes along with buying a truck and/or truck-based product. Good luck if it works out for you.

Hello Everyone,

So I have pulled the trigger but on a different one.

I went to the dealer and drove the white one, it was very nice and I would have been happy. Yet the wife had an appointment we had to run to, so I told the dealer I would be back later.

Never made it back to that dealer, but did inform them I would not be buying it.

While my wife was at her appointment, I stopped by another chevy dealership, the sales manager had his wifes fully loaded burgundy/maroon 2008 Trailblazer SS. When I say fully loaded, I mean it had everything, leather package, nav, rear entertainment,etc. He had ordered it with every option marked.

Nice thing is that it only had 26K miles on it. Better yet, the sales manager threw in the GM recertified 36 months, 36K miles bumper to bumper warranty starting from today. So for $26,000 I now have a new to me 2008 Trailblazer AWD SS.

I pick it up on wednesday as due to the age, I wanted them to detail it and go through checking everything including updating the Engine and Transmission computer programming to the latest versions.

Very excited to have this in our family stable of AWD auto's. :D

Thank you everyone for your input. :dance:

Edited by dfelt

There are many tranny issues on many GM cars of this era if someone has messed with the programing. Some tuners like to leave the full power on at the shift points and it can lead to tranny failure in many cases.

Leaving the full power in at the shift points picks up a lot of easy performance but if you drive it hard it kills the tranny,.

This is also a big issue on the V8 W-Body Impala SS / Grand Prix GXP / LaCrosse Super I've heard.

This is also a big issue on the V8 W-Body Impala SS / Grand Prix GXP / LaCrosse Super I've heard.

It is even on the 3800 SC. They pull the power at the shift points on the Series III engine in my GTP. The first programmers put the power back to the shift points and guys started killing the trannys left and right. Even my Turbo upgrade on my HHR SS is limited at the shift points. GM also no matter the power limited the driveline to 315 FT LB. That is the safe limit for the 4 speed auto.

The racers were using the Cadillac transaxle but the have to cut the floor to make them fit. THis is why GM did not use them. THey get over 320 FT LB and up it is only a matter of time before they blow. THis is where the new trannys really help with the new engines that are coming.