Let's grind

WOW, I do not think I have ever heard that bad of wheel bearings. The damage done is freakin amazing.

Cleary someone thought greasing those bad boys was an overrated job.

Is there any info on what type of auto this was on? I could not tell from the video.

Thanks for posting, it was freaking amazing.

Ha, it's my A5. Knowing Audi/VW, Im sure they are non-serviceable bearings.

It was odd. I took it out of storage for the season, drove it all day yesterday, and everything was fine. I came home, parked in the garage and was home for a few hours. Later, I went to go somewhere, started to back out of the garage and that noise from Hell started.

Oh well, it's warranty.

WOW, Chris I find this amazing that after storage they are bad. I look forward to hearing what all has to be replaced to correct it and what Audi has to say about why you have a rock polishing tumbler.

Glad to hear it is warranty as if those are none servicable bearings, then that really sucks. Wonder what else has to be replaced to correct it.

Looking forward to reading updates on your ride, sorry you got hit by gremlins.

Yea I'm kinda surprised too. I mean, I know 4 years of Michigan roads haven't been kind to it, but still.

Edit: And now that I think about it, I think maybe the right front was the corner that took a huge hit when I bent a wheel a 2 years ago.

So you are saying Michigan roads are not for cars just trucks and suv's? ;) I know based on pictures that the roads are bad, but I would think the axel should be able to handle a little pounding before the marbles let loose. :blink:

Yea I'm kinda surprised too. I mean, I know 4 years of Michigan roads haven't been kind to it, but still.

Edit: And now that I think about it, I think maybe the right front was the corner that took a huge hit when I bent a wheel a 2 years ago.

So you are saying Michigan roads are not for cars just trucks and suv's? ;) I know based on pictures that the roads are bad, but I would think the axel should be able to handle a little pounding before the marbles let loose. :blink:

Hah, oh....it's not just a little pounding around here. We gots no money for roads in these here parts. :P Or anything else for that matter.

Poor cars, trucks and suv's. But then I guess it does build strength into the auto. If it can survive Michigan, it should survive any place.

You got me thinking, I am going to have to drive over to Eastern Washington and see what BMW has going on at their Carbon Fiber plant and test track in Moses Lack Washington. Maybe some new hidden jewels of Carbon Fiber testing going on. :D

Edited by dfelt

Hah, oh....it's not just a little pounding around here. We gots no money for roads in these here parts. :P Or anything else for that matter.

usually you take the pounding after you grindr

usually you take the pounding after you grindr

LoL. Maybe that's how it works with you...

Poor cars, trucks and suv's. But then I guess it does build strength into the auto. If it can survive Michigan, it should survive any place.

You got me thinking, I am going to have to drive over to Eastern Washington and see what BMW has going on at their Carbon Fiber plant and test track in Moses Lack Washington. Maybe some new hidden jewels of Carbon Fiber testing going on. :D

Lemme know if you see anything nifty.

Sure will be happy to share what I find at the plant when I go. Depends on the pass as we are still getting dumped on with snow, so the family with ski season ends up coming first before I go searching for car stuff. :P

But german engineering is better.... isn't it?

Well, let's see...

I've owned 4 American cars and 2 German cars. The American cars had their fair share of troubles. On the other hand, I've had no problems with the German cars. Unless you want to count a small stone getting wedged into the brakes as a problem. Neither of my German cars have had emissions components that fail every 15-20k miles like my last American car did. The only car an OEM has ever bought back from me due to its' extensive problems was American.

My parents have had similar experiences with their American cars. Mostly Chevys and Buicks.

I've also reviewed all sorts of cars from OEMs around the world. The only time a brand new press car ever broke down before the fleet company could even drive it over to my place was a 2010 Chevy. There was also the 2011 Cadillac press car, with less than 200 miles on it, that I cut my hand open on thanks to some smashed/misaligned chrome trim.

So, yes, it's been my experience that German engineering is better.

I've never experienced any repeated emissions problems with any of my American cara, except a couple I bought for less than $250. And even my $250 specials, for the most part, gave me 100+K before being put out of rotation. I've never owned a European car, but many of my friend's experiences were, well, expensive and unhappy... unless it was new or nearly new.

4 brand new VWs and all of them had troubles. You guys know I don't keep a car long, so it's not like any of them had high mileage to shield them from criticism.

I do love the way a VW feels to drive, though. If they could build a relatively trouble-free car and train their dealers to service it properly and take care of the customer, I'd have no problem owning one again.

H'mmmm BMW supposedly the ultimate driving machine and yet 1500 services and plenty of recalls and breaking parts makes me have 2nd thoughts about German Engineering being better.

My Friend and CTO of Dataram Jason has an M3. That nice looking bad boy is amazing to drive when it is running. Seems it spends plenty of time in the shop for parts failing and then they have to wait for them to be shipped in from Germany. Lucky for Jason most things seem to have been covered under warranty, but then the amount of time he is without his car is still surprising.

One Kudo to BMW, at least the dealership here, makes sure your free loaner is the same model you drive, so he still has an M3 to drive like mad.

This unlike the caddy dealership which I have bought plenty of auto's from always takes care of me and I have no complaints about them being 5 star. Just why a CTS AWD when I bring in my Escalade ESV AWD Platinum. It would be nice to keep driving the same auto.

I will say this, Service on American Luxury is mucho cheaper than on German Luxury. :P