Arg...

Paolino

Okay...

So, over the years, I've been learning more and more about cars. I know VERY LITTLE compared to many of the people on this site. I know tons of "specs" of cars, could tell you what features each car offers, can recognize a car and a year by it's taillights or headlamps shining in my rear-view mirror, but know almost nothing under the hood.

No one listens to me when I say "Something doesn't feel right" regarding my car. This has been going on for YEARS.

Turn back to April 2002, I said to my friends and family, "You know, I was driving today and I heard a slightly different sound when accellerating--a tinny sound. Very faint." People sat in the car, dismissed it.

A week later, after an oil change, my mechanic told me, "I honestly don't hear the sound you're talking about. Everything seems fine." I told him, it's cold out still, make sure you have the engine warm when you run it--that's when you can hear it. Sure enough, he calls me back 5 minutes later saying the engine practically blew up. It was engulfed in flames. Car was totalled.

Take mom's LeSabre out a few years ago... drive it. Now, I've only driven it a handful of times, but I said, "Mom, there's a shimmy sensation at highway speeds that you should have checked."

No one listens. A few months later, during an oil change, mechanic finds a bubble in the tire--one he said was fairly bad.

A few months ago, I take my car in for an oil change. I told the mechanic about a noise I've been hearing and a "newer" noise that literally started happening that morning when I went over slight bumps. Friends and family told me, "Nope, it's your imagination."

Car had to have front struts replaced and a wheel bearing was shot (hence the two types of noises I was hearing).

So, I have been complaining of "fumes entering the cabin" and this "loud, airy noise" when I accellerate in my 92 Century. Everyone said it's my imagination, people said, "The car is 15 years old, you can't expect it to sound like new." I've complained about this for months.

SO... today... the mechanic calls me (getting an inspection, oil change, and front brakes), and says, "You have an exhaust manifold (think that's what he said), that's shot. I'm surprised you didn't notice... it's making your engine louder."

Who do I kill now? So then I asked, "Would that be why I'm getting fumes in the cabin?"

Yes.

WHY DOES NO ONE LISTEN TO ME?! I know how my car sounds and feels and I'm extremely sensitive to slight changes in anything.

Seriously, I know cars are complex machines. I know there are a ton of people out there who know a lot more about them than I do. But why is it no one trusts my senses?

Does anyone else run into these types of probs?

I used to...but as you learn more about cars, you should also learn more about diagnostics.

In other words, say there's a miss or a hesitation. In a newer car, you should think:

- sensor or emission component

- plug wire

- fuel type used

- fuel pump

- injector system

- cracked vacuum hose

As much as you like cars, you should aspire to the diagnostic point. Do you ever read car manuals? Or do you just like the pretty picture ones? You should read both.

Then, on top of that, you should be able to knock out which ones may not apply. NEVER offer the more expensive ones to the mechanic. NEVER. Work your way up from cheaper.

If you can discuss the car intelligently with the mechanic, they will respect you more and be less apt to rip you off. In terms of diagnostics, I usually guess correctly 3 out of 4 times. There's one time I just plain miss it.

You need to be able to get to the diagnostic stage. Make it a hobby. Buona fortuna.

Well, the thing is, my brother is the type of guy that can pull a car apart piece by piece and put it back together again--blindfolded.

Our mechanic... not too concerned about him ripping us off--I'd say we've been going to him for over 20 years. He's always done right by me--except the time I dropped my car off for a slight noise and he called me up telling me it exploded. That wasn't cool. :lol:

I wish you guys could have heard the conversation we had on the phone... my friends were in tears:

Me: Hello?

Mechanic: Hey, Mr. Guastella? We figured out what was causing that noise you were hearing, but unfortunately I have some bad news. Your car is totalled.

Me: Uh?

Mechanic: Says something mechanical that I can't remember, but essentially it was something like there was a crack in the (and don't make fun of me if my homosexuality affects the terminology I use in this part), shaft, in which the cylinder thrusts up and down, pumping, harder and harder, causing explosions of intense heat.

Me: Oh... uh, okay. So, uh, can I come get it?

Mechanic: No, it was just on fire.. it's cooling down now. It's totalled.

Me: Oh... uh... what do you mean?

Mechanic: It's totalled.

Me: But, uh, what do you mean? I just brought it in for an oil change. And a slight ticking.

Mechanic: I'm sorry.

Me: Okay, well, can I pick it up later to bring it home?

Mechanic: Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it... it'll probably overheat again.

Me: But, I only live 2 miles away.

Mechanic: Yeah, I wouldn't recommend taking it home.

Me: So, it's totalled?

Mechanic: Yes.

Me: Like, done... for good.

Mechanic: Yes.

Me: I just don't understand.

And this just kept going on and on for like 10 minutes! :lol:

So, I just picked up my current car--and it runs better than it has in a long while. I'm grateful for that :)

This is a joke, right?

It must not be the Century you currently have.

What does your brother do and why can't HE diagnose your car problems?  It would be easier.

I'm not going to bother my brother--he doesn't have the time nor the equipment to be my personal mechanic.

No, the Tracer blew up--the Century is the purchase I made after the Tracer went.

You guys are mean! Have some sympathy! I'm DYIN' HERE... I kinda screwed up my back this afternoon--and man, these pain killers are doing NOTHING except making Will & Grace funnier than it normally is.

You guys are mean!  Have some sympathy!  I'm DYIN' HERE... I kinda screwed up my back this afternoon--and man, these pain killers are doing NOTHING except making Will & Grace funnier than it normally is.

...and you WONDER why people don't take you seriously? [/seinfeld]

Well, it wasn't my fault... the bottom of the box gave way. Then there were two pops, and I realized they came from my back. Whoops.

Dude, what's really funny about your comment is tonight's ep of Seinfeld involved Elaine hurting her back and getting doped up on pain killers. "STELLA!!!!!!!!" (the second half of my last name ironically)

I know how my car sounds and feels and I'm extremely sensitive to slight changes in anything.

Seriously, I know cars are complex machines.  I know there are a ton of people out there who know a lot more about them than I do.  But why is it no one trusts my senses?

Does anyone else run into these types of probs?

*chuckles*

Yeah, I feel your pain.

My "shining" example, tho, is related to the body of the car, instead of the engine work. I had taken my '79 MC in to have an oil change. When I got into it the next afternoon to pick it up, I noticed something was "off" on the hood ... a small/minor dent. I know my cars backwards and forwards ... and always notice a new dent or scratch. So, instead of leaving, I parked the car and went back in to approach the servicer. He told me that nothing had happened ... and that, if I wanted, I could call them tomorrow to speak with a manager.

Which I did. After telling the guy NUMEROUS times that I know my cars VERY well ... and KNOW that the dent was NOT there when I dropped the car off, he finally admitted that a mallet hammer had fallen on my car.

I was just relieved they finally admitted what happened.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

CD Showcase, 8p-11p central, April 21 & 28, wrmn1410.com

"I should ask, but I won't" ... Rebecca Lynn Howard ... 'Forgive'

*chuckles*

Yeah, I feel your pain.

My "shining" example, tho, is related to the body of the car, instead of the engine work.  I had taken my '79 MC in to have an oil change.  When I got into it the next afternoon to pick it up, I noticed something was "off" on the hood ... a small/minor dent.  I know my cars backwards and forwards ... and always notice a new dent or scratch.  So, instead of leaving, I parked the car and went back in to approach the servicer.  He told me that nothing had happened ... and that, if I wanted, I could call them tomorrow to speak with a manager.

Which I did.  After telling the guy NUMEROUS times that I know my cars VERY well ... and KNOW that the dent was NOT there when I dropped the car off, he finally admitted that a mallet hammer had fallen on my car.

I was just relieved they finally admitted what happened.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

CD Showcase, 8p-11p central, April 21 & 28, wrmn1410.com

"I should ask, but I won't" ... Rebecca Lynn Howard ... 'Forgive'

Awww... that sucks. I hate when people don't admit when there's been a problem--I understand why they behave as they do, but dishonesty has always pissed me off.

Awww... that sucks.  I hate when people don't admit when there's been a problem--I understand why they behave as they do, but dishonesty has always pissed me off.

Exactly. And I told the manager that ... if they had just been HONEST about it from the get go, I wouldn't have been (as) pissed. Yeah, it's another ding on my car ... but goodness, it has dings on it already ... 1 more isn't going to hurt. BUT...to add a ding and not own up to it. Um, no.

Well, it wasn't my fault... the bottom of the box gave way.  Then there were two pops, and I realized they came from my back.  Whoops.

Dude, what's really funny about your comment is tonight's ep of Seinfeld involved Elaine hurting her back and getting doped up on pain killers.  "STELLA!!!!!!!!" (the second half of my last name ironically)

Yea I stopped watching Seinfeld a while back...no TV Time on Tuesday for me :(

Alright, so, question... if I want to learn more about what's under the hood, any recommendations on where to start? Books? Or should I just open up the hood of my parents' car (not going to f@#k up mine first LOL), and just start taking things apart? LOL

Paolino, thanks for the entertaining thread, which had me in tears!

Paul, you have to understand; most people are not going to take your car complaints seriously, partially because of the way you frame your complaints:

"The Century is problematic again. Oh, I recently drove Mark's 2007 Lexus LS, which not only massages your feet, but wipes your ass - all at the same time. The 20 speaker sound system in the Lexus reproduces sound with amazing fidelity. You gently press the accelerator in Mark's car, and it moves effortlessly. The front suspension in the Lexus LS is so quiet too. Now getting back to my 14-year-old Century, the front suspension is making a banging noise."

When you frame a question like that, the natural conclusion that one is drawn to, is that you're comparing your old car to something new, and a premium car at that.

On the flipside, and in your defense, you have *always* been spot on about your cars; more so than anyone I know.

Here's the problem with your situation: Your automotive knowledge, whether you realize it or not, is far above what is taught at local "learn to repair your car" workshops. Therefore, your best bet is to pick up a repair manual, for your specific car. Also, reading forums helps...

Paolino, thanks for the entertaining thread, which had me in tears!

Paul, you have to understand; most people are not going to take your car complaints seriously, partially because of the way you frame your complaints:

"The Century is problematic again.  Oh, I recently drove Mark's 2007 Lexus LS, which not only massages your feet, but wipes your ass - all at the same time.  The 20 speaker sound system in the Lexus reproduces sound with amazing fidelity.  You gently press the accelerator in Mark's car, and it moves effortlessly.  The front suspension in the Lexus LS is so quiet too.  Now getting back to my 14-year-old Century, the front suspension is making a banging noise."

When you frame a question like that, the natural conclusion that one is drawn to, is that you're comparing your old car to something new, and a premium car at that.

On the flipside, and in your defense, you have *always* been spot on about your cars; more so than anyone I know.

Here's the problem with your situation:  Your automotive knowledge, whether you realize it or not, is far above what is taught at local "learn to repair your car" workshops.  Therefore, your best bet is to pick up a repair manual, for your specific car.  Also, reading forums helps...

First of all, Mark's parents both bought Mercedes--she has the S500 and he has the SL500. Secondly, Mark has a TL (although the lease is up on that now, and before that he had an S4).

Now, the other thing is, I know when my car is getting noisy! Aside from the fact that I complained about fumes entering the cabin. Turns out the noise went away (as did the fumes), when the mechanic replaced the exhaust manifold gasket thingy that was blown. See, not makin' this stuff up. Car is MUCH quieter now. Granted, not Lexus quiet of course.

Next, Mark's cars never massaged your feet--only your ass. :P And pardon me for lovin' a luxury car... my ass deserves to be pampered (everyone should shut up at this point and just ignore the last statement).

I guess this summer I'll take some time to just read up on engines and start my own thread here if I have questions on how things work. I should make a goal of one day being able to like change my own oil or something bigger like, adding windshield washer fluid (that was a joke, you're permitted to laugh).