How Much Does Automotive Journalism Matter to You?

For me at least, Cheers and Gears has always been a reader/user-oriented site, a place where everyone is involved in someway. So, since I know I'm taking my affinity for automotive journalism as something that could become a loving, paying career someday in the near future, I'd like to know how much automotive journalism matters to one person: you. What you would like to see different? What do you like about what automotive journalists are currently up to?

Personally, I think automotive journalism has its place and I can think of ways it can evolve and progress, but this isn't about what I think. This is about what you think.

As for why I decided to open this topic up for discussion, I decided to check out YouTube's drive channel and stumbled across a particular video of a segment they call "Road Testament". In the video, the hosts of the segment pose the same question and ask followers of drive's Twitter account to post their thoughts on the issue. Afterward, various automotive journalists are interviewed and give their insight (Spoiler/Warning: they chat with Ray Wert).

EDIT: Since our post editor wants to tear my head off whenever I try to include the HTML code for the video in this post, I will provide a link

. I'll try to repost a working copy of the video in a following post. Edited by black-knight

There are still some things that automotive journalists can do better than the common car guy, it's just a matter of actually doing them. For instance:

1. When interviewing someone, don't let them weasel out of giving you a proper answer. For example, here's a recent interview from Four Wheeler:

FW: Ford is currently a leader in applying new technologies to trucks. What technologies and features do you see as important to the growth and success of the brand moving forward?

Scott: Our customers consider the truck a tool. We are driven by customer mentality to continue to make that tool more productive. We are going to pursue all of the technologies available to us to make that truck a more productive tool.

The proper follow up would be to ask him to be more specific, and if he isn't going to be, mention some dirt you were able to dig up on upcoming products. The answer Scott gave was useless and should never have been printed.

2. Know your audience. A journalist's job is to use his knowledge, expertise and investigative skills to clarify issues and enlighten their particular sub-set of readers, not engage in grab assing with other auto journalists or putting out Farago and Davis-esque fluff that is all style and no substance.

3. Unless they're an interesting person who has lead an interesting life and has interesting things to say, a journalist should stay away from opinion pieces. I don't mean they shouldn't have an opinion, I mean if they're going to go through the trouble of writing up an opinion piece and presenting it to the public, they would do well to make sure it is well supported and coming from someone who has been places and done things their readers have not; not something mundane that others have already expressed in a better fashion. An interesting and well informed opinion is one people will seek out; retreading the same tripe that has been said a thousand different ways before will not win them any fans.

4. Learn to differentiate between legitimate and illegitimate criticism. A journalist's works needs to stand or fail based on its own merits, not be considered above critique because their position of unwarranted self importance. If critic says the journalists writing has more nutritional value than literary value, that's why the critic makes a habit of printing off everything the journalist writes and eating it; then the journalist can safely dismiss what the critic has to say. If the critic points out logical and factual errors in what the journalist writes, then the journalist needs to learn from the experience and move on, instead of being like this goofus: http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100615/pl_ynews/ynews_pl2616

5. Try to have some expertise in both their area of the automotive world as well as journalism. Whether they used to be mechanics, designers, engineers, etc; the journalist can offer some information and insight the reader otherwise would not be privy to. It's part of what separates an interesting journalist from one who just lightly edits and reposts press releases and those who the public admires and respects.

I would like to see a better effort on the part of journalists to fact check. Last night I was watching a review of the Dart by two of them, and one guy complained that it wasn't enough like the Giulietta (which considering how ugly the front of the car is is something to be thankful for IMO), right down to where he called the Dart's manual shift knob cheap wished it were from the Alfa's shifter.

Problem is that if he had bothered to do some research, he would know that it is the same exact shift knob.

I agree with Joe (though I'm not sure I followed the advice...LOL) ... and the fact-checking mentioned by Dodgefan.

I definitely do not qualify as an "automotive journalist", but I just LOVE to write. And, I hope that is evident in my Route 66 story, and my last article for C&G ... "Stop re-naming my car!" ... which started out as pure opinion, but checking the lineages and facts behind the changes was VERY interesting and I'm eager to write a follow-up to it, of some sort....

*shrugs*

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

* rNwJumpStartCruzNite | 5:30-10:30p; SAT, 05/12/12 | BeefVilla, 1225 W Spring St, S Elgin IL *

"Time is a friend" __ Reba McEntire __ 'Is There Life Out There?'

Yes, one of my pet peaves is that auto Journalism does not stay neutral. Like Consumers Report, A.J. seems to have it's good moments and some very terrible moments. They need to focus on the latest product and be neutral so as to allow the viewers to make a decision, do not make it for them.

I think I failed to clarify my point. The A.J. needs to state the facts along with what the auto company is wanting or thinking they have achieved. This gives the reader a straight forwad approach of what the product is. Then follow this up with a Fact based editorial that is clearly including the persons opinion.

I am totally fine with this as long as they at least give the product a chance to stand on it's own legs before tearing into it.