William Maley

Infiniti News: Infiniti To Drop G25; EX and FX To Get 3.7L V6

9 posts in this topic

William Maley    410

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

June 11, 2012

As the 2012 model year comes to a close, automakers begin to announce changes to their lineup for the coming year. This past week, Infiniti made an announcement as to their changes for the coming model year.

First off, the Infiniti G25 will be gone after 2012. Positioned as the base model in the G sedan lineup, the G25 used a 2.5L V6 producing 218 HP. Infiniti didn't give a reason as to why they're dropping the G25, but the close proximity between it and the G37 in price and the strong Yen are likely reasons.

Also, Infiniti announced the EX and FX crossovers will get a engine transplant. Infiniti will bid adieu to the 3.5L V6 and place the 3.7L V6 producing 325 HP into both vehicles.

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

dfelt    1,874

Why, you can get a nicer altima at a better deal. The G25x is their dead ugly duckling.

These changes should come as no surprise to anyone. They have moved to get a little more competative with everyone else now. The real news is when they start to show off the new models to replace the existing ones. :P

Why, you can get a nicer altima at a better deal. The G25x is their dead ugly duckling.

Altima is just FWD and a Nissan, though. Apples and oranges.

I suspect one reason they are axing the G25 is a new smaller entry level Infiniti model is coming, I've read.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

dfelt    1,874

Altima is just FWD and a Nissan, though. Apples and oranges.

I suspect one reason they are axing the G25 is a new smaller entry level Infiniti model is coming, I've read.

But the G25x is not really selling and everyone says 90% of the buying public could care less between RWD and FWD. So this should not matter if the car is a solid built auto. Just like people do not think about Audi being FWD unless they get a Quattro model.

Drew Dowdell    5,169

The 2.5 is a dud because you have all the bulk and weight of the 3.7 (plus slightly more) without the performance that comes with the 3.7. It costs Nissan exactly the same amount of money to build the 2.5 as it does to build the 3.7.

They'd be better off turboing a 4-cylinder.

pow    106

Infiniti G has great steering feel. I test drove one, and just three minutes in, its RWD roots and higher quality "premium" nature (in contrast to the Altima) were apparent. The driving position and all the primary controls, particularly the steering and brakes, were very BMW-like.

It was a revelation after test-driving a FWD Volvo S60 T5, which, while likable, is so wrong in every way.

The 2.5 is a dud because you have all the bulk and weight of the 3.7 (plus slightly more) without the performance that comes with the 3.7. It costs Nissan exactly the same amount of money to build the 2.5 as it does to build the 3.7.

They'd be better off turboing a 4-cylinder.

G25 has better NVH than G37, and I'm Captain Slow, so I didn't mind the lack of speed. For most folks, a G31 would probably be the ideal compromise between smoothness, power, and economy.

pow    106

in related news... you can lease a new G25x for 249 a month with 2k down right now.....

Yup, Infinitis lease well. Even as a lame duck, G25x has a 59% residual (3 years). The base rate is just .00008, and you can get a good chunk off MSRP.

In related news, a Regal is only worth 45% of MSRP after 3 years, making for pricey leases. :/

regfootball    252

personally, i have never been terribly impressed with the G series. And I've driven many of them now. To me, it's like, just get a German car already.