Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

PickupTrucks.com: Spied! First Shots of 2014 GM Interior

Source: PickupTrucks.com

*Note: View pictures at the source!

Spied! First Shots of 2014 GM Interior

Posted by Mark Williams | July 24, 2012

It was bound to happen. Long, hot days spent in the summer heat — even if you're doing something very cool like hot-weather testing full-size pickup trucks — is bound to make you a little sloppy. Thankfully, it didn't make our spy shooters sloppy. As soon as they saw an opening to sprint over to a waiting test truck and snap a few photos, they took it. Here's what they had to say:

"We've nabbed the first shots ever of the 2014 Chevy Silverado's interior, and we caught it completely undisguised. These shots have been a very long time coming, with numerous unfruitful attempts at getting a glimpse of the new truck's dashboard, thanks to the heavy interior camouflage regimen employed by GM engineers — up until now, that is.

"The Silverado's dashboard is a definite improvement over the outgoing model. The design has a greater feeling of precision, and a feeling of improved build quality. The material quality of the surfaces also looks to be a marked improvement over the current model. The display screen on this prototype looks small, but there's no telling which trim model makes up this test truck; a larger LCD screen is likely on higher trim packages. The center stack has an interesting row of buttons at the bottom, which appear to operate somewhat like toggle switches; however, it's difficult to make out the functions contained within the switch array."

We'll have to wait and see if those GM engineers give us a chance to see other trim packages with larger displays. Until then, this looks promising.

Also, Automobile Magazine has additional pictures that you can enlarge: http://rumors.automo...ack-158393.html

MotorTrend link: http://wot.motortrend.com/2014-chevrolet-silverado-center-console-interior-spotted-237359.html

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Now I'm going to put on my "Monday morning quarterback" hat on and say that GM has disguised the dash with s pad or wrap and is only showing us the center stack, with the middle seat console and driver's dash gauge pod as an extra. I find it hard to believe that this is the new and modern dash GM would install in the new 2014 Chevy Silverado. Many people have pointed out that you can just barely make out a speaker, see the auto headlight sensor, and the word "Airbag" debossed on the dash. I believe that the speaker is tacked on top of the dash pad, the word "Airbag" is hardly visible, and the headlight sensor is in front of the dash wrap/pad so it would be factory. Most believe this is the W/T or LS dash, though if you enlarge the Automobile Magazine dash pictures you can see the buttons on the bottom of the stack for the adjustable pedals and the rear parking sensor, in addition to the heated (and possibly cooled) seat buttoms on the sides. There's no way that this is W/T or LS dash, unless GM is finally going to open up the options list for all models.

Now I'm going to put on my "Monday morning quarterback" hat on and say that GM has disguised the dash with s pad or wrap and is only showing us the center stack, with the middle seat console and driver's dash gauge pod as an extra. I find it hard to believe that this is the new and modern dash GM would install in the new 2014 Chevy Silverado. Many people have pointed out that you can just barely make out a speaker, see the auto headlight sensor, and the word "Airbag" debossed on the dash. I believe that the speaker is tacked on top of the dash pad, the word "Airbag" is hardly visible, and the headlight sensor is in front of the dash wrap/pad so it would be factory. Most believe this is the W/T or LS dash, though if you enlarge the Automobile Magazine dash pictures you can see the buttons on the bottom of the stack for the adjustable pedals and the rear parking sensor, in addition to the heated (and possibly cooled) seat buttoms on the sides. There's no way that this is W/T or LS dash, unless GM is finally going to open up the options list for all models.

I would agree as the fit and finish tend to say I am a wrap cover just like those tacky Carpet dash board covers. The top of the center console does not even flow into the wrap as you can clearly tell on the upper right hand corner.

This is NOT the 2014 dash, it is a cover to protect what the real dash will look like. Only the center pod is exposed and even then we have no clear idea what other features we will see being added.

Plus I have a hard time that this dash is low velocity air bag ready. I cannot see them building a seemless dash that burst apart and then forces you to replace the whole dash due to a minor fender bender. You could have a ton of cost to just replace the dash.

Edited by dfelt

That doesn't look like a temporary dash wrap to me, I've never seen GM go that far with their camo. The dash mats you refer to only go along the top of dashes - this is a single piece wrapped around the center cluster, the glove box, along the entire top of the dash... unless the whole dash is a prototype, I'd say that's an un-camo'd production dash.

GM/Chevy PR has been doing some "damage control" by posting the following on various blogs/forums about the heated discussion of these interior photos:

Hey all, my name is Vanessa from the Chevrolet Customer Care Team. I am as excited as anybody about our next generation Silverado. I’ve seen them, and they’re awesome. As many of you no doubt know, the Silverados that are on the road today are engineering development vehicles, and at this phase of their development the interiors are not product intent.

Stay tuned for the real deal, it’s going to be world class!

Vanessa,

GM Customer Service

My name is Otie from the Chevrolet PR team. I'm as excited as anybody about our next gen Silverado. I’ve seen them, and call me biased, but they’re awesome. The images here of the next gen Silverados are engineering development vehicles, and at this phase their interiors are not product intent, but stay tuned for the real deal, they’re going to be world class.

>>"We can see that there will definitely be lane-keep assist, parking sensors, power adjustable pedals."<<

I hope to hell these froo-froo gimmicks are individually options, and not mandated even on a 1500. 'Lane keep assist" ?? :rolleyes:

Of course they'll be options. But power-adjustable pedals should be standard. That feature alone could add quite a few sales.