NeonLX

330 CID V8

Oldsmobile's new "small block" V8 for 1964 displaced 330 CID, right? It eventually morphed into 350, 260 and 403 CID versions as well (there may have been more iterations, but those be the only ones I can remember).

Another (U.S.) domestic car brand had a 330 CID V8, but it only lasted one model year. Do y'all know which brand that was, and the model year?

That sure didn't take long. :)

1956 DeSoto Firedome & Fireflite models used the 330 CID version of DeSoto's Hemi, while the Adventurer got a hopped up 341 CID version.

Heh. Let me find a DeSoto in which to place one of those beasts. :)

A 56 would be sweet, I've owned a 55 and 57 Chevy...

And the 56 Desoto would be one of the best looking cars of the fifties, IMHO.

Modern modular OHC Mustang 5.4 motors are 330 CID as well...and Desoto beat GM to market with a 350 4V V8, the motor Chevrolet is so well known for.....

56 Chevy is my favorite of the 5-6-7 Chevys. I had a 55 coupe with a six/3-speed. Really liked that car. I'd love to find a 56 base 150 coupe like my 55 was, only equipped with the 265 with dual quads & 3-speed w/OD. My 56 was a 210 4 door hardtop with a 265 & Powerglide.

Edited by NeonLX

I got a '56 Bel Air hardtop available you could shoehorn it into....

Tell us more about this car, please!

Oh, and:

:worthless:

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

^ Plymouth had the 350- not DeSoto. '58 : 305 HP dual quad 350, IIRC. It may have been a 1-yr only motor.

The Bel Air is my buddy's- it's for sale. He was having some engine work done on it for sale, when the shop caught on fire and a bunch of melted stuff spattered the roof & decklid- it's out getting repainted. I don't have any pics of it handy- hopefully it'll be done soon. '56 Bel Air 2-dr hardtop, 350/T350 powertrain, white over black, '70s Camaro wheels, needs some work but a driver.

I would love to have a 56 or 57 Chevy but with a modern underpinning including a 350 ramjet crate motor. :P

Course would love a rat rod with the chevy 502 RamJet crate motor. :P

Go Big or Go Home! :D

I would love to have a 56 or 57 Chevy but with a modern underpinning including a 350 ramjet crate motor. :P

Course would love a rat rod with the chevy 502 RamJet crate motor. :P

Go Big or Go Home! :D

How about a tri-five Chevy w/ a Volt drivetrain..that would be radical...

Yeah, that 350 V8 was essentially a Plymouth motor and it was available only for 1958. It was part of the B-series family that also included the 361, 383* and 400 CID Mopars engines. That being said, the 350 V8 may have been available in the 1958 DeSoto Firesweep model (which featured a Dodge front clip). I'll have to check to make sure.

---------------------

*One bit of trivia: the 383 used in 1959 and 1960 Chryslers was a different animal than the 383 used in the Plymouths, Dodges and DeSotos. The Chrysler 383 engine was an RB (raised block) with a longer stroke and smaller bore than the B series 383 (3.75" stroke vs. 3.38" stroke of the B-series 383). The RBs came in 383 (1959-60 Chrysler only), 413, 426 and 440 form.

After 1960, all Mopar 383s were the shorter stroke B-series version.

^ It'd be interesting looking under the hood, but rather pathetic going down the road (despite the 500 lb weight advantage the '57 enjoys).

It'd be interesting looking under the hood, but rather pathetic going silently down the road (despite the 500 lb weight advantage the '57 enjoys).

C-57s should rumble & growl.

It'd be interesting looking under the hood, but rather pathetic going silently down the road (despite the 500 lb weight advantage the '57 enjoys).

C-57s should rumble & growl.

Could add synthesized engine noise as a number of car makers are doing today..green hot rods are going to be a growth industry eventually, I think.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Synthesized engine noise...AHAHAHAHA!

Oh, wait...you weren't kidding?!?!?

Synthesized engine noise...AHAHAHAHA!

Oh, wait...you weren't kidding?!?!?

Nope... lots of car companies are doing it, esp w/ hybrid and electric cars. Think how cool it would be to cruise up a Leaf and have the sound of a Peterbuilt instead of silence..

Maybe I'm just getting too f***ing old. :(

I'm so old that I remember watching the Jetsons on prime time TV.