balthazar

Roger Party, your GMC is ready!

Truck was last registered in '98. It's complete, engine/trans is original, owner says is starts right up. However, systems will have to be gone thru of course.

LOTS of extra & new parts- new emblems, new hood 'GMC' piece, quality-made cab corners, original steel rims, crossmember- whole bed is full of parts.

Seat upholstery is not original, but it's in great shape. I'd guesstimate its 98% complete. Will need work obviously.

Guy is asking $3K, says he has $2600 into it.

Mutual friend/ wheeler dealer says he should take $2K cash and be thankful.

Rough, but has potential after a LOT of work is put into it. I could see this being a 10-year project for me, with money being the main factor (I'd have to outsource most of the work needed for this). It's a shame because you're right balthazar, the 347 GMC V8 and Hydramatic trans are my desired drivetrain. '55/'56 are my preferred years, though I wouldn't turn down a '57. Sadly the budget doesn't exist for this vehicle - I have about half what is needed to buy it :(

I haven't seen a '55-57 GMC in the wild in years & years- might be some time before another shows up, esp with the PMD V8.

I hear you about the money, tho; times are tight. I'll keep an eye out, as always; we'll get you that GMC yet.

Guy is asking $3K, says he has $2600 into it.

Mutual friend/ wheeler dealer says he should take $2K cash and be thankful.

Somehow, I missed the second part of this statement. Did the owner seem to think this was possible? I'd have to agree, honestly. There is a ton of rust (was it parked in a lake since '98? :lol: ) It will need a lot of work no doubt, but if the frame is good and most of the cab is intact, the rest can be sourced as time and money allow.

I haven't seen a '55-57 GMC in the wild in years & years- might be some time before another shows up, esp with the PMD V8.

I hear you about the money, tho; times are tight. I'll keep an eye out, as always; we'll get you that GMC yet.

I'm seeing less and less each year myself. I could count on seeing some '55-'59 GMCs at the bigger classic truck shows, but either owners are not bringing them out or the market is drying up. At this year's ATHS truck show in Macungie (June), I saw only one '55-'59 GMC there, a '57 from NJ that I've seen there multiple times in the past. A '56 GMC from NY state that has been a part of the last two year's shows was absent, as was the OldGMCTrucks.com group that usually show up with 3-4 GMCs from the club. I'm not holding too high of spirits for the upcoming AACA Fall Meet in Hershey, as it's been a while since I've spotted a '55-'59 GMC either in the car corral or show fields.

$1,300-$1,500 and I could likely bring myself to buy that '57 GMC - though I know a lot of replacement pieces/parts will be needed for that cab. $2,000 is a stretch right now - I have to start moving more of my toy & diecast collection and stop spending money elsewhere and maybe I can have an extra $500-$1,000 available for a find.

I know a lot of replacement pieces/parts will be needed for that cab."<<

The cab corners come with it, the rest of the metalwork is flat stock patching. Original dash, seat & wheel are there, tho. Only thing else it needs that I noted are a radio & rearview mirror (may in the crates of stuff).

Rest of the body work necc. is also small piecing in- a few spots on the bedsides, etc. It's much more work that buying parts.

I'm not sure how low the owner will go, but I get the idea that $2K wouldn't do it. Then again- I just met the guy, and he was tough to get a read on (biker, drinker, a bit befuddled by car restoration). He wanted the money to put toward a '37 Cadillac he had also bought, but needed everything PLUS a LOT of poor work undone on it by someone previous. That seemed to be his focus, and he had bikes for sale also- including an LT1-powered Harley (!)

My impression is it's a good solid start, it's mostly complete, it has the V8/HM & the chrome package. If this were my dream vehicle, I'd seriously offer $2K on it & start going. Trucks are SO MUCH easier to rebuild than cars fo the same vintage. The emblems- whether their NOS or repro- have to be worth $400 all day (hood GMC & backing grille, both HydraMatic & both V8 emblems), which is way cheaper than getting pitted originals filled & rechromed. Only thing I'm not sure I prefer is the long bed.

I'm trying to figure out the original color on Balthy's thread-opener truck. I keep coming back to battleship gray, based on the door guts, and some other areas where various colors have been worn off, etc.

EDIT: Seems like "Harmony Gray", according to a paint chart from 1957.

Edited by ocnblu

DSC01907.jpg

balthazar, do you recall seeing a VIN-like plate on the driver's side A-pillar and a data plate on the driver's side door jam? If these are missing, well...

I wish I was in a better position for a long term project, I would actually buy this myself.

I have decided to cut my automotive bucket list to two vehicles, I would like to possibly still build a Factory Five Cobra, and I would really love a vintage truck.

This pretty much takes the kit price of a Factory five and lops a zero off, making it muhc more do-able.

NEAT project....

I am in a lot of lust over this one, actually.

Pics taken @ night- that grey was white. In looking over the pics & remembering last night- I couldn't tell you the original color. The red appears to the the original interior color tho.

Ultimately, I could see this looking like:

gmc-00008-1.jpg

gmc-00008-2.jpg

gmc-00008-3.jpg

gmc-00008-4.jpg

We have a Chevy for sale just like this one near my home. I almost stopped to see how much but I would be too tempted and my wife would not be happy.

I'm going to guess red for the original color.

It might not take all that much to make this driveable - full resto is another story.

Full resto would bankrupt a small third world nation, but making it a decent rad rod or decent cruiser is doable.

I like this truck, and actually this thing is making me think....

I DID see the data plate, I noted that the original HP was listed as 205 IIRC.

Problem is, Rog, is the cheaper trucks take that much more money to make roadable.

The rule of thumb on vintage stuff is buy the best condition you can afford and you'll save over spending lessinitially on a worse-condition truck (unless you have a shop and can get the labor done for next to nothing). Rust-free is of course preferable, but not likely on a 55 yr old truck in Jersey. I've owned far worse shape trucks.

Well I am looking at the shot showing the door at the opposite side, untrimmed, showing hardware with no overspray, and that area appears to be Harmony Gray. The same gray color shows in other small areas of the interior where other subsequent colors are flaked off.

Well I am looking at the shot showing the door at the opposite side, untrimmed, showing hardware with no overspray, and that area appears to be Harmony Gray. The same gray color shows in other small areas of the interior where other subsequent colors are flaked off.

But that's the interior, and under the door panelette. Might that not be factory primer vs. finished ext color?

Too glossy. One can also see the same color on the A-pillar in the same shot, and in the shot showing the right side step, amidst areas of the red flaking off. Also, look at the sloppy application of red on the steering column, at the shift indicator area. To me, the red seems sloppily applied throughout. In the shot showing the interior looking at the back glass, one can see gray at the very edge of the sheetmetal along the top of the glass.

I am wondering how interior color was applied on these trucks in 1957. Was red an interior color option? If so, how much of the interior would have been red? It seems like a rather base model truck (v. a Suburban) with favorable powertrain options, although the chrome v. white exterior trim might prove me wrong.

I was under the impression that trucks back then had interior metal the same color as the exterior and that only the soft parts (seat, door panels, floor mat) varied in color, or maybe that was just how the low line models were. (at least that's how I've painted my 1:25th scale models of trucks of that era based on photos I've seen of 1:1 ones.. :)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

That is what I am thinking as well, Moltie. The exposed area of the door appears unmolested factory color, the red and white are far too sloppily applied to be original, imo. I do see red at the firewall area, but that appears sloppy as well.

Looking at renderings in the '57 brochure, it shows a green exterior pickup cab with interior painted to match except for attached trim, but it also shows a medium-duty cab-over with red exterior and gray painted interior.

Edited by ocnblu

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 27 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook