This is just cool

Camino LS6

^ Common automotive definition of 'skegs' has them projecting outward to the sides, IE: '61-62 Cadillac & '61 Olds. No such projection on the quarters of P-59s. You are referring to the points on the P-59 bumper, yes?

Pontiac had the larger Bonne tails in '59 and '61 onward thru at least '70. Seems PMD got caught somewhat flatfooted in '60 with the tails & unsplit grille.

^ Common automotive definition of 'skegs' has them projecting outward to the sides, IE: '61-62 Cadillac & '61 Olds. No such projection on the quarters of P-59s. You are referring to the points on the P-59 bumper, yes?

Interesting..if they aren't 'skegs', what are they? They appear to point outward slightly..

Pontiac had the larger Bonne tails in '59 and '61 onward thru at least '70. Seems PMD got caught somewhat flatfooted in '60 with the tails & unsplit grille.

..and later..they did wide Bonne taillight and narrow Catalina taillights from '77-81 also..

As for Pontiac, the taillight thing was in force in the early 70s as well, Catalina v. Grand Ville/Bonneville.

These are all nice.

'59 Chevy in Camino's shot evokes a cat, with ears flattened, penetrating eyes, and two little fangs.

Edited by ocnblu

^ Agreed !

Tho IMO the front end of the B-59 is tops (they're all cool), I always felt 'cheated' at the Buick's rear. Look at it's bumper vs. Olds & Pontiac...

For some reason, Buick toned things WAY down ::

I actually prefer the clean looks of the Chevy and the Buick - don't much care for the rest of GM's '59 fullsize offerings.

I just prefer a cleaner look, and frankly, the rear views on both the Olds and the Pontiac are kinda ugly - especially the Olds.

The Olds and Pontiac rears are mild compared to the over the top '59 Chevy rear, though....

I just prefer a cleaner look, and frankly, the rear views on both the Olds and the Pontiac are kinda ugly - especially the Olds.

The Olds and Pontiac rears are mild compared to the over the top '59 Chevy rear, though....

Their design is certainly more mainstream and less radical, but the details looked tacked-on and gaudy where both the Chevy and Buick look fluid and entire. The detailing on the Olds and Pontiac seem like afterthoughts.

I find so much of the detailing on '50s design to look tacked on, too much chrome trim, fins, etc. '58 was the worst year for GMs, IMO...way too much gingerbread. The '59s were an improvement, esp. w/ the lower longer wider bodies (and details such as moving the headlights down into the grilles). I find the crisper, cleaner '61-64 models much more appealing style-wise...

I find so much of the detailing on '50s design to look tacked on, too much chrome trim, fins, etc. '58 was the worst year for GMs, IMO...way too much gingerbread. The '59s were an improvement, esp. w/ the lower longer wider bodies (and details such as moving the headlights down into the grilles). I find the crisper, cleaner '61-64 models much more appealing style-wise...

The advent of the lower, longer,wider theme really marks the start of my favorite era of car design. That said, I do appreciate certain 50s designs - usually the cleaner ones. For example, I much prefer a '55 Chevy to a '57.

How are you on the painted chrome?

Otherwise, it's pretty cool, yepyep.

750px-1959_Buick_Electra_225_Riviera_Sedan_wings.JPG

Nice pic...

The advent of the lower, longer,wider theme really marks the start of my favorite era of car design. That said, I do appreciate certain 50s designs - usually the cleaner ones. For example, I much prefer a '55 Chevy to a '57.

Agreed, and I've owned both a 55 and a 57...

56 just doesn't do that much for me most of the time...

Much nicer than the '59 Olds rear end.

Pretty cool... the things I always find amazing when I see a car of this era up close at a car show is how wide they are, how long the decklids are, and low they are...such a different design language than the last 30 years or so..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar