wildmanjoe

The Year Is: 1940

The Year Is: 1940

The year is 1940 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike has just opened it's first section.

Turnpike.jpg

You're going to be traveling on this section from now on and you want a car that can keep up with traffic and not be a rattle can at higher speeds. As one of the first drivers on this section of road, what would you drive?

I'd drive a 1940 Oldsmobile convertible.

1940Oldsmobile.jpg

No only does it have everything, it also has a Hydra-Matic transmission so I don't have to ride the clutch through all those toll booths. Boo-yah! :booyah:

I'm going to be a spoil Sport and say 1940 Ford convertible...I always loved those....

How about we rid the Stupid people who allowed Toll roads to begin with. The Curse of these roads on the east coast is one reason I will never move there. The east coast seems to be incapable of properly budgeting and managing state gov and roads.

I cannot believe the tax payers allowed this to happen in 1940.

With it's inset headlights & Art Deco grillework, the '40-41 Olds' certainly are stylistically intriguing.

With Cadillac, I'd be all over a suitcase-fendered '41, but the '40s don't do nearly as much for me.

Guess in cars I would boil it down to Olds, Buick or Cadillac. None is jumping out at me over the others.

If we open it to trucks (not in step with the Turnpike scenario), it'd only be Ford.

If we open it to trucks (not in step with the Turnpike scenario), it'd only be Ford.

1940 GMC for me, if that scenario was in place ;)

Otherwise, I'd take 1940 Pontiac coupe:

3256171949_a05e42c7b7.jpg

Though the first for 1940 Oldsmobile woody station wagon would be a close second:

1940_oldsmobile_station_wagon2.jpg

1940_oldsmobile_station_wagon1.jpg

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

If you're going to be climbing Lycoming Mountain, only a Lycoming 8 will do.

post-51-0-76393500-1349805940_thumb.jpg

Certified Pre-Owned of course...

Love it, make sure you buy the extended warranty! :P

How about we rid the Stupid people who allowed Toll roads to begin with. The Curse of these roads on the east coast is one reason I will never move there. The east coast seems to be incapable of properly budgeting and managing state gov and roads.

I cannot believe the tax payers allowed this to happen in 1940.

Worse yet, they are now run by for prift private corporations who are bleeding the effing state dry and charging outrageous tolls....

My grandfather had a '40 Packard coupe, seen pics of it..it was my Dad's car for a while around 1947-1949...

I'd look at the Graham (Sharknose) for it's audacious styling, but be put off by the struggling independent nature of the brand. Maybe go w/ a Buick or a Cadillac if I was one of the swells..

40graconv6cyl3spd_Hymanltd.jpg

1940-buick-special-convertible-sedan-1.jpg

cad40g.jpg