Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Interactive Review: 2012 Mazda 3i Grand Touring Hatchback

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

October 12, 2012

Coming in this week at the Cheers & Gears Detroit garage is the 2012 Mazda3 i Grand Touring hatchback. This 3 is equipped with a 2.0L SKYACTIV-G four-cylinder producing 150 HP and 155 lb-ft of torque and goes through a six-speed automatic. If you're wondering, this is the same powertrain package in the Mazda CX-5 crossover I had back in August.

The 3 i Grand Touring starts at $23,150 and my test vehicle stickers at $25,345* (includes $795 destination charge) thanks to the optional Technology Package.

I had this car for about day and there are some items that impress me and others that drive me somewhat crazy.

• 2.0L SKYACTIV engine doesn't feel sluggish at all in the 3. I'm thinking the lighter weight of the 3 to the CX-5 plays a role.
  • Handling is sublime and fun. The car is stable when turning and the steering is just right in feel and weight.
  • Ride could use some improvement as the 3 will transmit every little bump into the interior.
  • Average fuel economy so far is an impressive 35 MPG (EPA rating is 28 City/39 Highway/32 Combined)

I have the 3 till Wednesday and will be updating before it goes back. If you have any questions for the 3, drop them below and I will do my best to answer them.

Update: October 15, 2012

It has been an interesting weekend with the Mazda 3 as it had to deal with endless rain and being used to carry a good amount of stuff to the recycling bin as I was cleaning out my closet. The 3 dealt with both of these without a sweat.

Average fuel economy has dropped to about 33 MPG, which is still above the combined fuel economy figure. I also did a bit of highway driving which saw fuel economy climb to an impressive 40 MPG. The highway also revealed that the Mazda3 isn't so good at containing road noise.

I'll have one more update before the 3 leaves on Wednesday. If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate. Drop them off.

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

How does the fit and finish compared to other auto's you have reviewed in this category?

Guest Guest

How does the fit and finish compared to other auto's you have reviewed in this category?

I own a 2012 Mazda 3 i Skyactiv since Febuary this year. To answer your question, I will break down in two categories:

1. Mechanical and Structure - Very high tolerance in term of fit and finish. If you get a chance to crawl underneath the car, you will see all the components are logically arranged and the wires and hoses are secured neatly with clips in pure Japanese way of doing things in "details". The Mazda engineers did a good job in heat management.

2. Body and trim panels are fitted like in 90's standard. The gap control in all body panels are not exact. My car's bumper and hood joint is not spaced evenly. I verified at the dealer lots, all hatchback produced in 01/2012 suffered this symptom. The door panel trim has a sharp edge and not flush fitted. My car's driver rear door has a upper interior door trim that was not seated flush to the door frame leaving a sharp plastic edge sticking out. Based on my experience in plastic production, the trim panel and the blow molded front bumper has a poor tolerance control. A worn mold or an old equipment with incorrect blow pressure might be a result.

Bottom line is you buy this car for the handling and mechanical components - Yes, you will be happy to own Mazda 3 like me.

For a premium car's quality interior and perfect sheet metal fits - Ha, you are better off buying a ford Fiesta, Focus, Matrix, Carolla, Camry, Accord, Altima. Pay close attention, you will see what I am talking about.

Example: Old Camry, Toyota cut a corner on heat shields so you can see a tail pipe below the chasis. That is normally non-engineer will not catch and it has nothing to do with reliability. For me, that is like doing homework without a full effort. I bought a Mazda for engineering. Mazda still needs quite bit work on panel and trim design and manufacture.

The above guest poster is correct, the fit and finish isn't anywhere near as good as the Focus.

Focus ST pretty much cleans the clock of the Mazdaspeed three and makes it scream for mercy as far as fit, finish and drive goes.

Mazda 3 does drive very well though....

For a premium car's quality interior and perfect sheet metal fits - Ha, you are better off buying a ford Fiesta, Focus, Matrix, Carolla, Camry, Accord, Altima. Pay close attention, you will see what I am talking about.

I've got a Focus. Sheet metal fits are by no means perfect. The 12-year-old 5-series also sitting in our driveway is much better in that regard.

Compared to the Chevrolet Cruze (I'm excluding the Dart since I didn't really spend enough time with it), I'm finding the 3 to be on par with fit and finish.

NEEDS REDESIGN. same basic look for too many years now.

See this - http://www.cheersandgears.com/topic/80058-mazda-news-rumorpile-what-we-know-on-the-next-mazda3/

Due out either next year or 2014.

I will be doing an update sometime later today.

Looking forward to the update....

And the skyactive tech is really good....it just needs an updated chassis to be mated to...

Guest Guest

I am glad to see so many people joining the discussion. The Cruz 's fit and finish is pretty good. I went to check out Dart, the fit and finish is about par to Mazda 3; One note to potential Chrysler buyers: When you go shopping, check the used lot for the same model. I notice the material Chrysler uses to make coolant reservoir and windshield washer turns yellow after sitting on the lot for few months. I noticed that when I was bored and went to local dealerships "window" shopping. The only way to explain that is the plastic material used is too cheap.

To improve the fit and finish for current Mazda 3 is not hard. The front facia alignment can be done through designing a bumper be able to move in and out indepedent to headlight. The current model has a plastic anchor bolt to head light. I thought about adjusting mine, but I was concerned changing headlight aim. The door trim can be done with hiding the joint behind a false plastic facia like building a house hiding all imperfections with caulking. If you look at new CR-V's wheel fender wall plastic trim, the bumper goes behind plastic trim. Even bumper missed alignment with fender a little, the customer can not see it because it is hidden behind a trim. Mazda certainly can use this trick to "improve" fit and finish.

My wish is Mazda makes Mazda 5 six inches longer. 4 inches goes to 3rd row leg room, make bumper facia smaller and increase rear cargo room 2 ~ 3 inches longer, ride on new 6 chasis rather than 3's, equip with the 2.2 Skyactiv-D with 6 speed automatic and market around US$27,000 in USA market. I always want to buy a people hauler van, but I don't want anything on the market today. Mazda 5 is my preferred choice If Mazda can grant me the wish above. That will be awsome.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      30 years ago at the Chicago Auto Show, Mazda pulled the sheet off a small roadster called the MX-5 Miata. Little did anyone know how much of an impact this little car would make in the world. Today, Mazda honored this anniversary by introducing the 2019 MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary Edition.
      Available both as the soft-top and RF hard-top, it comes in a new Racing Orange paint color that Mazda says evokes "the breaking dawn of an exciting new day." A set of 17-inch Rays ZE40 forged aluminum wheels are based on the wheels used on the MX-5 Cup race car.
      All versions of the 30th Anniversary get Recaro seats, Brembo brakes, Bose sound system and compatibility with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Opt for the manual and it includes limited-slip differential, Bilstein shocks, and a front shock tower brace.
      Mazda is planning on building 3,000 MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary Editions, with 500 coming to the U.S. Pricing ranges from $34,995 for the manual soft-top to $39,995 for the RF automatic. But you have missed your chance to order one. Car and Driver notes that Mazda has sold out of the allotment for the U.S. within four hours of opening the order books.
      Gallery: 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary
      Source: Mazda

Mazda Announces 2019 MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary
      Celebrating 30 years, MX-5 Miata isn't just a car, it's a cultural movement 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary will be available for pre-order with a starting MSRP* of $34,995 This special edition MX-5 Miata is equipped with a SKYACTIV-G 2.0L engine rated to deliver 181 horsepower Exclusive features include Racing Orange exterior paint and interior accents, special serial number badging, RAYS 17-inch forged alloy wheels and RECARO sports seats with Alcantara seating surface CHICAGO, Feb. 7, 2019 -- In 1989 the Chicago Auto Show played host to one of Mazda's biggest milestones, the debut of the MX-5 Miata. Now, 30 years later, Mazda is proud to share another milestone at the Chicago Auto Show with the world premiere of the 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary.
      Continuing to embrace the philosophy of the original 1989 MX-5 Miata, this special edition represents three decades of history. A history that has been filled with so many people, from the passionate Mazda engineers who created the first-generation MX-5 as a homage to early lightweight European sportscars, to the succeeding development engineers who took up the challenge to build on the high ambitions of their predecessors. Collectively, they all helped the MX-5 reach amazing heights, from being the first car to win both World Car of the Year and World Design of the Year in the same year with the current generation MX-5 Miata in 2016, to achieving production of the one millionth unit in April 2016. In total, the MX-5 has won over 280 awards, as of January 2019, with many of those accolades thanks to the unshakable support of Mazda owners and fans all over the world. This special edition is meant to commemorate all these milestones and the important people that have been part of this special journey, especially Mazda's enthusiastic fans.
      The 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary, offered in both soft top and RF models, builds upon the 2019 Mazda MX-5 Grand Touring, which added many new features including a newly refined powertrain rated to deliver 181 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque; a 17 percent increase over the previous model year. The first noticeable new feature is the exclusive Racing Orange exterior paint color. This strikingly vivid color pays homage to the yellow MX-5 Miata Club Racer that also debuted at the 1989 Chicago Auto Show. Racing Orange is meant to represent sunrise and anticipation, while staying true to the characteristics of a pure sports car. The roof on RF is painted Racing Orange, while the soft top will feature a black cloth top. The theme continues to the interior with orange interior louvers and orange piping on the heated RECARO sports seats. The seats in this special edition are wrapped in Alcantara, which is also found in the door inserts and lower instrument panel. All of these features help to further enhance the customer's sense of exclusivity and pride of ownership.
      To contrast the brilliant color, the new RAYS ZE40 17-inch Dark Gunmetal forged alloy wheels play up the MX-5's driving legacy. Customers may notice these wheels are based on the Global MX-5 Cup Car, further connecting the iconic roadster's anniversary edition to its racing roots.
      Standard in all 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary models are Apple CarPlayTM and Android AutoTM infotainment technologies. Also standard is SiriusXM with three-month subscription and new SiriusXM three-year Traffic Plus and Travel Link® subscription.
      No special edition would be complete without the appropriate badging. Each 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary model will be affixed with a special "30th Anniversary" serialized badging on the driver's side rear quarter panel to help commemorate 30 years of endless gratitude and unbending determination to keep evolving.
      Production of 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary model will be limited to a total of just 3,000 units worldwide. In the U.S., there will be a total of 500 non-sequentially badged units available through a custom build to order website at www.mazdausa.com/30th-anniversary. Owners can order their 2019 Mazda  MX-5 30th Anniversary model as either a soft top or RF with either a manual or automatic transmission. Orders can be placed starting on 2/7 at 12 p.m. CST.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      30 years ago at the Chicago Auto Show, Mazda pulled the sheet off a small roadster called the MX-5 Miata. Little did anyone know how much of an impact this little car would make in the world. Today, Mazda honored this anniversary by introducing the 2019 MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary Edition.
      Available both as the soft-top and RF hard-top, it comes in a new Racing Orange paint color that Mazda says evokes "the breaking dawn of an exciting new day." A set of 17-inch Rays ZE40 forged aluminum wheels are based on the wheels used on the MX-5 Cup race car.
      All versions of the 30th Anniversary get Recaro seats, Brembo brakes, Bose sound system and compatibility with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Opt for the manual and it includes limited-slip differential, Bilstein shocks, and a front shock tower brace.
      Mazda is planning on building 3,000 MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary Editions, with 500 coming to the U.S. Pricing ranges from $34,995 for the manual soft-top to $39,995 for the RF automatic. But you have missed your chance to order one. Car and Driver notes that Mazda has sold out of the allotment for the U.S. within four hours of opening the order books.
      Gallery: 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary
      Source: Mazda

Mazda Announces 2019 MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary
      Celebrating 30 years, MX-5 Miata isn't just a car, it's a cultural movement 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary will be available for pre-order with a starting MSRP* of $34,995 This special edition MX-5 Miata is equipped with a SKYACTIV-G 2.0L engine rated to deliver 181 horsepower Exclusive features include Racing Orange exterior paint and interior accents, special serial number badging, RAYS 17-inch forged alloy wheels and RECARO sports seats with Alcantara seating surface CHICAGO, Feb. 7, 2019 -- In 1989 the Chicago Auto Show played host to one of Mazda's biggest milestones, the debut of the MX-5 Miata. Now, 30 years later, Mazda is proud to share another milestone at the Chicago Auto Show with the world premiere of the 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary.
      Continuing to embrace the philosophy of the original 1989 MX-5 Miata, this special edition represents three decades of history. A history that has been filled with so many people, from the passionate Mazda engineers who created the first-generation MX-5 as a homage to early lightweight European sportscars, to the succeeding development engineers who took up the challenge to build on the high ambitions of their predecessors. Collectively, they all helped the MX-5 reach amazing heights, from being the first car to win both World Car of the Year and World Design of the Year in the same year with the current generation MX-5 Miata in 2016, to achieving production of the one millionth unit in April 2016. In total, the MX-5 has won over 280 awards, as of January 2019, with many of those accolades thanks to the unshakable support of Mazda owners and fans all over the world. This special edition is meant to commemorate all these milestones and the important people that have been part of this special journey, especially Mazda's enthusiastic fans.
      The 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary, offered in both soft top and RF models, builds upon the 2019 Mazda MX-5 Grand Touring, which added many new features including a newly refined powertrain rated to deliver 181 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque; a 17 percent increase over the previous model year. The first noticeable new feature is the exclusive Racing Orange exterior paint color. This strikingly vivid color pays homage to the yellow MX-5 Miata Club Racer that also debuted at the 1989 Chicago Auto Show. Racing Orange is meant to represent sunrise and anticipation, while staying true to the characteristics of a pure sports car. The roof on RF is painted Racing Orange, while the soft top will feature a black cloth top. The theme continues to the interior with orange interior louvers and orange piping on the heated RECARO sports seats. The seats in this special edition are wrapped in Alcantara, which is also found in the door inserts and lower instrument panel. All of these features help to further enhance the customer's sense of exclusivity and pride of ownership.
      To contrast the brilliant color, the new RAYS ZE40 17-inch Dark Gunmetal forged alloy wheels play up the MX-5's driving legacy. Customers may notice these wheels are based on the Global MX-5 Cup Car, further connecting the iconic roadster's anniversary edition to its racing roots.
      Standard in all 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary models are Apple CarPlayTM and Android AutoTM infotainment technologies. Also standard is SiriusXM with three-month subscription and new SiriusXM three-year Traffic Plus and Travel Link® subscription.
      No special edition would be complete without the appropriate badging. Each 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary model will be affixed with a special "30th Anniversary" serialized badging on the driver's side rear quarter panel to help commemorate 30 years of endless gratitude and unbending determination to keep evolving.
      Production of 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary model will be limited to a total of just 3,000 units worldwide. In the U.S., there will be a total of 500 non-sequentially badged units available through a custom build to order website at www.mazdausa.com/30th-anniversary. Owners can order their 2019 Mazda  MX-5 30th Anniversary model as either a soft top or RF with either a manual or automatic transmission. Orders can be placed starting on 2/7 at 12 p.m. CST.
    • By William Maley
      It came as no surprise that Toyota decided to drop the Yaris Liftback for 2019 - they only sold 1,940 models last year. In our original report, Toyota spokeswoman Nancy Hubbell dropped an interesting bit of information by revealing they would have news on the 2020 Yaris at New York. Car and Driver has a possible guess as to what it could be - a rebadged Mazda2 hatchback.
      Some quick background: The current Toyota Yaris sedan is just a rebadged version of the Mazda2 sedan sold elsewhere in the world. It was introduced back in 2016 as the Scion iA and then became the Yaris iA a year later.
      Car and Driver is expecting the hatchback version to get the same front end as the Yaris sedan, while the rest of the body is unchanged. Power will remain the 1.5L inline-four teamed with either a six-speed manual or automatic.
      Source: Car and Driver

View full article
    • By William Maley
      It came as no surprise that Toyota decided to drop the Yaris Liftback for 2019 - they only sold 1,940 models last year. In our original report, Toyota spokeswoman Nancy Hubbell dropped an interesting bit of information by revealing they would have news on the 2020 Yaris at New York. Car and Driver has a possible guess as to what it could be - a rebadged Mazda2 hatchback.
      Some quick background: The current Toyota Yaris sedan is just a rebadged version of the Mazda2 sedan sold elsewhere in the world. It was introduced back in 2016 as the Scion iA and then became the Yaris iA a year later.
      Car and Driver is expecting the hatchback version to get the same front end as the Yaris sedan, while the rest of the body is unchanged. Power will remain the 1.5L inline-four teamed with either a six-speed manual or automatic.
      Source: Car and Driver
    • By William Maley
      "I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal from the A-Team.
      I wasn't expecting to get back into a review vehicle for some time as the Detroit Auto Show tends to reduce the number of vehicles available - they're reserved for those coming out-of-state and OEM representatives. I thought next month is when I would begin my rotation once again. But a surprise email this morning from General Motors asking if I was able to take a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado today. Of course!
      This particular Silverado is an LT Trail Boss Crew Cab with the 5.3L V8 and eight-speed automatic transmission. Base is $48,300 and my as-tested price comes to $55,965 with a few option packages like the Convenience package (front bucket seats, dual-zone climate control, and heated steering wheel).
      First Impressions?
      Even though it may appear the truck is black, it is actually painted a dark blue (blame my iPhone). Even though I'm not sold on the design on the Silverado as a whole, the Trail Boss make it look aggressive. Interior looks a rehash of the one seen in the previous Silverado. Material quality is better, but I was kind of hoping more in terms of design. 5.3L V8 doesn't feel muzzled when leaving a stop or needing to accelerate quickly - THANK YOU GM! Haven't quite figured out how to open the power tailgate. Spent a few moments just pressing the button and not having the tailgate come down. Need to some reading in the owners manual. I'll be trying my best to update this piece with other observations and impressions throughout the week. You can also drop some questions below if you want to something about the truck.
      Gallery: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado LT Trail Boss Crew Cab

View full article
  • My Clubs