Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Gotta wonder why people fix what they fix....

So I drop by my buddy's body shop today, and tghey are starting on two interesting projects...a 1968 firebird that is badly in need of a resto, but all original and untouched, a 350 4 speed numbers matching car. I can see that...I'll post pics if I get a chance...

Second car is a HARD hit that the owner is sentimental about, and is making a large cash payment in addition to the insurance to repair.

Car was hit so hard that it ripped the passenger door completely off the car, buckled the firewall, bent the A pillar, shoved the windshield out of the car, bent the dashboard, buckled the passenger floor boards (although not irrepairably) buckled the trunk floor and inner wheel house, bent the rocker panel, bent BOTH the front and rear suspension...and the guy is fixing it because he's owned the car since new and...it's thirteen years old.

It's a plain base grade 1999 Dodge Neon two door with manual crank windows and manual locks...

Owner of the shop is having an easier time finding parts for the Firebird than the Neon, even though the Neon is newer. Neon guy is paying cash up front no questions asked to repair the neon.

Steve has repaired hard hit vehicles before, and this one will come out right....car is black and owner wants the car STRAIGHT no questions asked when he gets it back...

Do you know how it is to find a manual crank door for a 99 Dodge Neon 2 door in a Yard?

Actually, in a way it's kind of a cool story that someone is THAT loyal to their car...even if it is hit that badly.

Edited by A Horse With No Name

Guest FUTURE_OF_GM

A few years ago when I totaled our 1982 Toyota Starlet, we bought it back from this insurance company and had it restored. First car I ever rode in. Purely sentimental. VERY hard to find parts for.

Unfortunaly, the car has now sat for several years and is currently in danger of being scrapped. My parents just haven't had the heart yet.

The Neon sounds like it's ready for the crusher...I couldn't imagine anyone spending a dime on it. Back in '94 when my college car ('86 Mustang LX 4cyl) was totalled, I didn't waste any time being sentimental about it, moved on to something newer and better.

But there comes a point where a vehicle structure should not be repaired. First, for safety, and then there is a long list after that.

Anything can be repaired if enough money is involved. For example, a P-38 Lightning buried and crushed for over 50 years under more than 200 feet of ice in the arctic can, and was, recovered, restored to certified flying condition and currently tours air shows. While it makes much more sense for a rare P-38 than a Neon, if he's got the means and wants to do it, more power to him.

I can understand be sentimental about something, but people also need to be realistic. Just because you can throw the money at it and rebuild it does not mean it is wise and smart thing to do.

• Agree 1