2013 Buick Verano SD

Tested 2013 Buick Verano SD sedan, MSRP about 24k 2.4l four cylinder, 6 speed automatic.

This is one I have dying to get into. Verano. WTF is a Verano? (Keep in mind I am used to seeing VERONAS aplenty in various states of non operation in my previous service department).

I have been seeing these everywhere! I thought new age car shoppers did not buy Buicks! Only OLD people drive them! They are so.........so.........

Wait, something about this car is different. What is it exactly? GM makes everything the same way!

Oh, this is from Germany? Ok, well not exactly. But the car does have its roots in the German Opel Astra.....one of Europe's most popular and most well regarded name plates.

So you are saying that GM has finally built a PREMIUM compact car? So you really are trying to tell me that Buick (yes, Buick) is building a car that someone under 60 would drive?

That GM builds a car that people buy on the goodness of the product, and not the rebates?

It's true. This could very well be GM's best car out right now.

Every test of a GM car that I have taken in recent memory has impressed me. And not because I am a GM homer and have driven many GM vehicles since my very first drive in a Chevy truck at age 14.

Ok, the car I drive every day, a Chevy Cobalt, does not at all impress me. In fact, you can have it.

But that was created in another era. I am talking today about GM cars new to market since THE CRASH. GM, whether the press is willing to admit it or not, has built a very good stable of very very very good vehicles. Each successive GM new vehicle in the last 3-4 years has gone to great lengths to put criticism of GM's car making ability to bed.

The Verano I feel (prior to the new ATS) is the car that can finally start to put nails in the coffin of old GM. There have been ifs and maybes about some of the cars before it. The Cruze had a few shortcomings (like real world mpg, and shifting issues) that dogged it's entry in the world. The Regal, Buick's own brother, was deemed overweight, expensive, and underpowered in base trim. The LaCrosse suffered from niggly things like a small trunk and such. The Sonic came close, so close. Yet, buff books still thought the Fit was better.

There are no glaring weaknesses in the Verano. Nothing to bitch about. No deal breakers. There are a couple, "if they did this, it would be even better's".

Better yet, the car is as advertised. In fact, it's underpromised, and overdelivered. We are told the Verano is a PREMIUM small car. It very much is, and best of all, it may be the best explanation about Buick's new place and position in the market. That is the best part. A NEW DIRECTION.

I enjoyed driving the Verano. It felt substantial and felt nice to drive. It did not feel ostentatious, it did not feel cheap. It was satisfying and secure, with a little bit of fun. It was mature and a little bit youthful at the same time. It was style, but it was purpose. It was tasteful, and not fad. It was a little bit of chic and not any excess.

Generally I can describe the drive in my highs and lows. My main complaints about the Verano were that the seat back contour I think I needed to adjust to and it may not be contoured for everyone. Overall the seats are supportive and very comfy. The dash and interior is simple, organized, and very stylish. The ergonomics were very very good. The view out was neither wide open nor claustrophobic....in other words, just right. The little front windows were perfect to see just a little bit extra of the road. Steering and handling were about spot on for most folks, while leaving you to imagine how nice a slightly enhanced sport package would be on the car to jazz it up a bit more. Fit, finish, materials, and impression of quality were all very good. The Intellilink is Impressive in display and operation. The car has a level of NVH and refinement that simply is not present in so many cars on the market now today. But it is in no way mush. It's just right. Overall, you feel like (in this trim) you got more than you bargained for. No details on this car are cheesy in any way. Ok, maybe the gawdawful ventiports.....they need to get rid of them!

Can't wait to try the turbo! I would recommend this car to pretty much anyone. Commuters, my own parents, older friends, younger friends, foreign brand fans. Perhaps the only presumption a small car like this may not deliver on is EPA estimated MPG. In an age of advertising wrought with 40 mpg claims, this may be the cars weakest link.

I am not sure if in higher trims and prices if the endorsement stays the same. What can GM fix besides improving mpg? I think the biggest flaw is not having the 3 door, 5 door, and wagon for sale here in the US. Absolutely the 3 door and 5 door would be what I would want to check out. Buick has a real chance here to make a splash, to keep the other VARIANTS off our shores is travesty. A five door with the Astra seats (not the poofy ones here) would fight the Golf nicely. I think bringing the 2.5 to this car is a priority, along with an 8 speed auto or so. A sport handling package should be offered. The turbo is coming and will be perfect. Buick should find ways to offer unique and personalized versions and options to really create interest with the self involved bunch.

I would also ditch the rear trunk and switch it to the Astra version as well.

This is all nitpicky! This car is bangup for GM. No wonder now why I am seeing them all around.

HIGHS

Style without fad

Great interior (especially in tan), even with leatherette / cloth mix

Excellent gauges and center console / stack

Intellilink display is very nice and touch screen responds well (I did not play with voice commands)

Stereo has good sound

Very comfortable seats, compared to what you are typically used to (except for a seatback glitch)

Great visibility all around and balance between open and closed interior feel

usable trunk (if a bit small) that is nicely trimmed

Right size steering wheel!

Driving position can be set to just your liking and you are held in place

Quiet inside, and whatever sounds the engine makes sound good

Gets up and goes when you want it to, good acceleration and smoothness

Car feels solid and stable and secure and is just the right size

Very good balance for ride / handling and suspension. Goldilocks would say 'just right'.

18" wheels that are handsome and tires that are premium, on a base car!

The ability to show your friends a no compromise GM car

Does not feel at all like the Cruze and you will not confuse it with one.

German, Japanese, and American car fans would all enjoy the car.

Peyton Manning drives one!

LOWS

There should be a sport package available with a little tighter steering and suspension, because it would be oh so good

Where is the turbo yet? We can't wait!

Where is the 3 door, 5 door, and wagon?

Astra butt is nicer

Could we get a version with the Astra seats to sample those? Driver seat back contour was a bit hard to get comfy with.

Trunk could be a smidge bigger. Likewise, rear leg room is tight for those of us who have passengers a little more than occasionally. Fortunately, foot space is pretty good.

2.5 would improve it more. As would an 8 speed auto, or at least one that shifts a little quicker.

F*cking ventiports come an inch away from ruining it all

EPA estimated MPG is less than it probably needs to be

Turbo should be standalone option on all versions of the car. Manual should be optional on the 2.4. 1.6t would be a nice midlevel offering too.

SHAQ needs to get a LaCrosse to fit inside.

OCN BLU doesn't have one yet

SUMMARY

With a disclaimer about not knowing how a more optioned up version of this car feels, I would wholly endorse this car to just about anyone, for any purpose. It is as advertised and is satisfying. It feels worth more than you'd pay. It is a car you would be pleased and proud to drive. There are no deal breakers. Any future improvements will not be fixing the car, it would only be enhancing it.

This car is an A, even in it's basic configuration.

Edited by regfootball

Now that they have added the Backup Camera, Cross Traffic and Blind Zone Monitoring for 2013 I have very few nitpicks about this offering. So few that there's pretty good odds I will be driving one this time next year, Leather or Turbo model- Cashmere Leather and Mocha Bronze, White Diamond, or Crystal Red exterior. Reg is not at all exaggerating when he says that (again, save for perhaps only the ATS) this is the most no-nonsense, sorted, well-thought out car GM currently makes across all four core brands. In terms of consensus there are very few American cars made in the last fifteen years which have been so well received by the marketplace and the media.

High quality interior, and the one thing that always gets to me is the sound when you slam the door shut from the inside (there isn't any)- there are Lincolns, Acuras, Volvos costing ten thousand dollars more that do not offer this feeling of solidness. It has woodgrain and fake stainless steel but it really doesn't look fake or overdone like the $h!e in the Malibu they put on with a trowel this year. Combined with the frankly lame interface options being offered in many brands these days Intellilink also shines. It's also zippy and fun, perfect for nipping around the country or parking downtown; just the right amount of power for its size with the base engine, with the turbo I'm sure it will be a real sleeper.

Bearing in mind that there is no reason besides size for discounting this offering- my suggestions for improvement:

• Offer heated seats as a standalone option on the leatherette cars
  • The drivers' seat should have a power recliner and some form of lumbar adjustment
  • HIDs ought to be available on the Turbo Model
  • Ventiports, if you are going to have them, should be on the fenders and not so darn fake looking, otherwise lose them
  • Make the piano black/bright chrome accessory grille the standard grille, it really makes the car "Pop", especially in White Diamond and Black

2012-verano-accessories-grille-mm-gal-1-870x329-2.jpg

i agree, the heated seats ought to be standalone.

here is what i propose. a 3 door and 5 door version, available here in the US.....maybe with the Opel seats and interior schemes. price em below the sedan a bit. the 1.6t and 2.5 are the engines (turbo 2.0 as the limited edition). Build em in Europe and import just a small amount of them to round out the showroom but create a buzz and something to market vs. the VW's. keep the Opel grille shape on them. Make the big sunroof like on the 08 saturn astra an option. Sport suspension standard. Then bypass the Cruze hatch. Buick does the hatch better. Bring the Adam too to back it up.

I was very surprised to find the backup camera on this car, but it is indeed a neat extra in my book.

Verano fills the niche of the old Grand Ams and Aleros but is like 4 steps beyond it.

Bear in mind, the new Malibu has a lot of the same feel of the Verano. Although not as nip/tuck/tidy.

Edited by regfootball

Now an interesting take would be a 24,000 dollar Verano vs. a no options Focus ST for something skin to the same price...........

Why do you think I haven't had the heart to finish the ST review...?

The Verano is a LOT more car than even the Focus ST for the money. I could see buying something Sporty like a BRZ or GTI, but...damn...the Verano is one of the best efforts I've seen yet from anyone at building a passenger car.

Verano is a great car. Months back I pondered the lease deals on them and was very impressed at a ride & drive vs. our ILX, back in May. Great car with a feeling of substance. A bit more sport and a bit firmer seating, and I could see it. I love my Regal but the Verano is impressive in its own way, in a smaller package. The overall stance is nice but not in the same league as the Regal for me, but to be expected given the smaller size and Opel->Buick swap.

The Turbo should be fun. Sign me up for the Coccachino interior. So nice.