Broken again... Code 84

Last night, my wife and I took a trip of about 100km to another city. I got off the highway at my exit and pulled up to the stoplight at the end of the ramp. All of a sudden the dash lights up like a christmas tree (Service Engine light, Engine Power Reduced light, Service Vehicle light, Traction Control light) and "CODE 84" shows up in the DIC. Engine power was extremely limited, I limped off the road at about 20 km/h. Pulled over, checked the fluids, everything looked fine. Tried restarting the car a few times, same thing kept coming up. I started to call GM customer service, then realized I couldn't remember what the number of the code was, so I started the car back up again to see, and it started fine. Hung up and went on our way. On the way home, the car did the same thing in the middle of a busy highway. Slowly lost speed despite the car being floored, until I hit a speed of about 40 km/h with the hazards on trying to get to the next exit, cringing every time trucks flew past. Tried restarting the car about ten to fifteen times, got the code everytime. Limped about 10 km home on back roads. Of course, the final time I restarted the car, in my driveway, it started fine. :explode:

Took it in to the dealer this morning, no code showed up today. Driving a rental Cruze right now.

Beyond frustrated with GM at this point.

We'll since you did not state what type of GM vehicle it is, if it is a Diesel, then Code 84 is a Accelerator Pedal Position Circuit that can cause the auto to go into limp home mode. If it is a gas auto, then code 84 can be a wide range of issues.

Check out this site, great for learning your codes depending on what GM model you have.

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/

Good Luck, sorry you have had issues with your auto. I know it is not all of GM, sadly you do get that occasional lemon model. Wishing you the best.

Update: Throttle body is being replaced. Once again, parts from the US take 3-5 business days to get here... aggravating.

Also aggravating is that this is not covered by powertrain warranty.

Upshot is the dealer feels bad for me and my experiences with GM Canada Customer Service, and is agreeing to cover the part as if I had an extended warranty. I will pay only a $150 deductable instead of the full $400 cost.

Update: Throttle body is being replaced. Once again, parts from the US take 3-5 business days to get here... aggravating.

Also aggravating is that this is not covered by powertrain warranty.

Upshot is the dealer feels bad for me and my experiences with GM Canada Customer Service, and is agreeing to cover the part as if I had an extended warranty. I will pay only a $150 deductible instead of the full $400 cost.

That is great to hear, I am surprised this is not covered by the power-train warranty as the throttle body is here in Washington state. Guess this is one difference between countries. Sorry you have had issues with the cruze, I overlooked your tag so did not see it. Very weird that the throttle body is failing so much.

That is great to hear, I am surprised this is not covered by the power-train warranty as the throttle body is here in Washington state. Guess this is one difference between countries. Sorry you have had issues with the cruze, I overlooked your tag so did not see it. Very weird that the throttle body is failing so much.

Maybe not...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/09/gm-downsizes-100000-mile5-year-warranty/

Then again, I just had this not-extremely-informative chat with GM Canada:

Welcome to GM.ca’s Live Chat. Please wait while we locate a customer care ambassador to assist you.

blue.gif Diane S has joined this session!

blue.gif You have been connected to Diane S. Your session ID for this chat session is 48538.

Diane S: Hi Matt! My name is Diane. How can I help you today?

Matt: Hello. I was wondering if the throttle body is included in the 5/160,000 powertrain warranty.

Matt: This is for a 2011 Chevy Cruze

Diane S: Matt, please give me a moment and I will check for you.

Diane S: Matt, I haven't found it yet. I know that it is part of your base warranty. Let me keep checking.

Matt: My base warranty has expired. I need to know whether or not it is part of the powertrain.

Diane S: I understand. I'll keep checking.

Matt: Thank you.

Diane S: There are various components associated to the throttle body that are covered under the powertrain. Your issue would have to be diagnosed.

Matt: The dealer is replacing the whole throttle body.

Diane S: The information that I am looking at includes the throttle body assembly replacement. Is the dealer not able to verify if this is a powertrain repair or not?

Matt: They are stating that it is not, but information I was able to find on the internet indicates that the throttle body is included in the powertrain warranty. So, I am coming to you to determine which is correct.

Diane S: Matt, there have been changes made to the powertrain warranty. The document that I am using has many exceptions and advises the dealer to go to other supporting information. Regardless of the on-line information you have, the dealer is in the best position to tell you on whether this is covered or not. As mentioned, they have the latest available information.

Matt: The reason I am contacting you is that I have already had (with this vehicle) two dealers argue with one another over whether or not something else I needed was covered. After going through that experience, I do not consider dealers the experts...

Matt: in this topic. Is there no master document that tells you what is and isn't covered?

Diane S: Matt, I am referring to a master document and it says that this part is covered. However, I should caution that these documents change. The dealers may refer to their Zone representatives on whether this is covered.

Matt: Alright. Thank you.

Diane S: You're welcome. Is there anything else for today, Matt?

Matt: No that is all

Diane S: Enjoy the rest of your day.

blue.gif Diane S has left this session!

blue.gif Your chat session has ended.

WOW, That is just weird that they clearly talk without taking on any responsibility and really seem to not want to state the final facts.

I would tend to ask for what the master doc version and identification number or title so that you can use this with the dealer and point out that the master doc says this. Lucky you at least have this conversation recorded to use, but you might want to go back and get more details about this so called master doc and what was the date and last update of the doc.

Nothing else at least you can make a valid aurgument as to why you should have no out of pocket cost since they have clearly told you that it is covered but details change often. Not your problem about them flipping back and forth between what is covered and what is not. They at this point in my humble opinion need to do right by you and cover this part now that it has failed again.

dfelt, this is not the same part that failed before.

However, this is the fourth time that I have had to get a rental.

# 1 was just caused by dirty gas, they put some kind of additive in and cleared the code and it was fine.

# 2 was a failed water pump. Replaced under warranty.

# 3 was the two unrelated issues that happened in September - the plastic part that was leaking coolant, and also a vacuum leak. As noted, should have all been covered under warranty but wasn't.

# 4 is this new trottle body failure.

ps. I am pretty sure that my dealer is right about this no longer being covered. He showed me the area in his program where he can bill GM for various part codes under the powertrain warranty for the 2011 Cruze. Searching for 'throttle body' yielded no results. Then, he pulled up the same page for the 2009 Aveo for comparison and showed that there were several codes available related to the throttle body. He said that GM removed the throttle body and wheel bearings from the powertrain warranty in Canada in 2010.

• 4 years later...
On 11/9/2012 at 6:19 AM, the_yellow_dart said:

They did some kind of fast ship on the throttle body to get it in quicker. Car has been repaired and is back to me. I paid just the $150 deductable as they stated.

Liking my dealership more but still very angry with GM.

How is the Cruze doing now? Maybe I missed it, but if you traded it in, what did you get now? Let us know. :) 

• 2 months later...

Traded it at the end of 2015 for a Nissan Altima.

Water pump was failing again (3rd pump) and valve cover gasket was failing again (2nd gasket). Got lucky and had the engine light go out just before I traded it. Still, a car with 240,000 km on it is not worth much anyways, so it probably didn't matter.

Have now driven the Nissan 80,000 km with absolutely no problems. Such a welcome contrast to the Cruze.

• Agree 1

Yeah, pretty sure I wouldn't touch a 2011 or 2012 Cruze at this point....so many issues they had. So bad in fact I wouldn't touch the 1.8 model (LS) either....

Which is too bad as they are nice cars to drive. Still conisdering a late 2015 or 2016 Cruze (limited) as they finally got rid of the issues and can be had for pretty cheap.

Almost as cheap as a Ford Focus.....

23 hours ago, balthazar said:

Me mum has a '12 Cruze, and I believe they've had zero issues with it... but it only has 22K miles on it.
Just moved it around at my house on T-giving and it's still like new.

Is it an LS or LT?

If it's the 1.8, should be more than fine. If it's the 1.4 though, betting some stuff gets replaced down the road.....

• 1 year later...
Guest Crap crap crap

2011 chev cruze manual 1.8 LS. Biggest piece $h! I have ever owned 

Constant issues. Cooling system is a piece junk. Water pumps thermostat, valve gaskets, I've done it all n it still runs as bad. 

To top it off it likes to lock itself while it's running with my keys inside 2× now 

I would be happier than the day its gone 

• 1 month later...
Guest Himansh
On 11/7/2012 at 8:05 PM, the_yellow_dart said:

Last night, my wife and I took a trip of about 100km to another city. I got off the highway at my exit and pulled up to the stoplight at the end of the ramp. All of a sudden the dash lights up like a christmas tree (Service Engine light, Engine Power Reduced light, Service Vehicle light, Traction Control light) and "CODE 84" shows up in the DIC. Engine power was extremely limited, I limped off the road at about 20 km/h. Pulled over, checked the fluids, everything looked fine. Tried restarting the car a few times, same thing kept coming up. I started to call GM customer service, then realized I couldn't remember what the number of the code was, so I started the car back up again to see, and it started fine. Hung up and went on our way. On the way home, the car did the same thing in the middle of a busy highway. Slowly lost speed despite the car being floored, until I hit a speed of about 40 km/h with the hazards on trying to get to the next exit, cringing every time trucks flew past. Tried restarting the car about ten to fifteen times, got the code everytime. Limped about 10 km home on back roads. Of course, the final time I restarted the car, in my driveway, it started fine. :explode:

Took it in to the dealer this morning, no code showed up today. Driving a rental Cruze right now.

Beyond frustrated with GM at this point.