L.A. Auto Show: 2013 Chrysler Town & Country S: Comments

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

November 26, 2012

If you wanted a 'sporty minivan', you had the choice of either the Dodge Caravan "Man Van" or Toyota Senna SE. Debuting at the 2012 LA Auto Show is a third contender into 'sporty minivan' category with the new 2013 Chrysler Town & Country S.

The S is mostly an appearance package that includes a black chrome grille, black-accented wheels and blacked-out headlight inserts, and four different colors (black, red, white and silver) for the exterior. Inside, the blackout continues a black headliner and combination leather and cloth seats.

Tech wise, the Town & Country S comes standard with Chrysler's new Blu-Ray rear-seat entertainment system with an HDMI input, and a pair of USB ports that can charge mobile devices.

The only performance modification is a firmer sport suspension setup.

Source: Chrysler

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

Chrysler Town & Country S Joins the “S” Family of Chrysler Models and Brings Cool, Modern Design to the Minivan

• Chrysler Town & Country now a part of the “S” family of models along with the 200 and 300 sedans
  • New exterior and interior appointments give Town & Country S modern style
  • Segment-exclusive Blu-Ray DVD player with HDMI input and two USB ports for recharging is standard
  • 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine provides best-in-class horsepower with excellent fuel economy
  • More than 40 available safety and technology features like SafetyTec, which provides industry-leading features including ParkView rear back-up camera, Blind-spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path detection

Los Angeles , Nov 26, 2012 - Chrysler – the inventors of the minivan – is bringing modern design to the segment with the 2013 Town & Country S model. Debuting at the 2012 Los Angeles International Auto Show, the Town & Country S is the latest “S” model in the Chrysler line-up, joining the 200 sedan and convertible and 300 sedan. The Chrysler Town & Country S gets exterior and interior enhancements as well as some standard equipment commonly associated with top-line models.

"We tailored the new Town & Country S for the active and style minded consumers. It's the downtown style for the Town & Country’s uptown looks,” said Saad Chehab, President and CEO – Chrysler Brand, Chrysler Group LLC. "It's more than fitting that we unveil this vehicle in Los Angeles given Town & Country S represents yet another modern take of ‘313’ in the ‘310.’”

Available in Brilliant Black, Deep Cherry Red, Stone White or Billet Silver, the 2013 Town & Country S gets revised trim that adds contrast to the minivan’s typically bright exterior treatment. A black chrome grille is combined with black-background Chrysler Winged badges front and rear, a black rear fascia step pad, “S” model badging, 17-inch aluminum wheels with polished face and black-painted pockets and blacked-out headlight bezels (delayed availability).

The interior features a monotone black interior unique to the Town & Country S. It starts with the Black Torino leather seats with an “S” logo embroidered in the seat backs and black Ballistic cloth seat inserts. The seats also feature grey stitching as do the door armrests. Piano Black gloss appliques are found on the instrument panel and on the spokes of the black leather-wrapped steering wheel, and the Chrysler Winged badge on the wheel matches the black background-look of the exterior badging. Finishing interior touches include a black headliner and upper consoles, black center console and an “S” logo in the instrument cluster.

The segment-exclusive dual-screen Blu-Ray DVD system with HDMI input, two USB recharging ports, a 12v outlet and a 115v two-prong outlet is standard. This system, new for 2013, allows rear seat passengers to view standard and Blu-Ray DVDs or to play a high-definition video game system on the new, higher definition, screens. Wireless headphones allow back seat passengers to enjoy this state-of-the-art system without forcing front seat passengers to hear the accompanying audio.

The 2013 Town & Country S also features a performance suspension that adds a new level of handling dynamics to the driving experience, yet still provides a comfortable ride that’s expected in a luxury minivan.

Town & Country’s award-winning powertrain delivers best-in-class horsepower without sacrificing fuel efficiency. The 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine is a two-time “Ward’s 10 Best Engine” winner and produces 283 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque. The V-6 is mated to the 62TE six-speed automatic transmission. A fuel economizer mode helps the driver maximize fuel efficiency, and premium, lower-rolling-resistance tires, and low-drag brake calipers and rear bearings make great fuel economy possible. Town & Country achieves 17 miles per gallon (mpg) in the city, 25 on the highway.

The 2013 Chrysler Town & Country offers over 40 available safety, security and technology features, providing customers the safety they expect to ensure peace of mind when traveling. Standard safety features include ParkView rear back up camera, front seat-mounted air bags, a driver-side inflatable knee blocker, advanced multi-stage driver and front passenger air bags, side-curtain air bags for all three rows, and electronic stability control, including Brake Assist and all-speed traction control. Optional on Touring and standard on Touring L and Limited models is the SafetyTec Group consisting of rain-sensitive windshield wipers, Smartbeam headlamps, ParkSense rear park assist system, Blind-spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path detection.

New for 2013 is standard trailer sway damping that monitors a towed trailer’s behavior and automatically uses Town & Country’s anti-lock braking system to mitigate any swaying motions.

The 2013 Chrysler Town & Country minivan is built at Chrysler Group LLC’s Windsor Assembly Plant in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

View full article

Just seems weird to say you have a sport model of a minivan. How sporty can a minivan really be.

It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the normal minivan to this one in terms of suspension, engine, etc.

Bet the engine is the same as the other T&Cs (and Caravans). Doesn't seem that long ago that these Mopar minivans had four different engine options--a four banger and three different V6s. And there were years with a turbo 4 thrown into the mix as well.

Bet the engine is the same as the other T&Cs (and Caravans). Doesn't seem that long ago that these Mopar minivans had four different engine options--a four banger and three different V6s. And there were years with a turbo 4 thrown into the mix as well.

Yep. 3.6L V6 with 288 HP and six-speed auto.

What other engine does Chrysler have to go in mini-vans now? Any V6 less than what it gets would be considered insufficient and their 4-cylinder is.... well... lets just say their 4-cylinder is not class leading even if it was held back a grade... twice...

I've got to admit, I like the idea of the extra USB ports in back for charging.

I have to agree that I like having more USB ports around for charging and access to devices in an auto.

That is allot of black and those seats do not look comfy for a road trip.

Just like the 200 and 300 S, this is a trim package, but it looks good, imo, and they must have sold enough of them up to now to expand the line. Good for them.

And there have been many sport trim packages on Caravans over the years, from way back.

Oh, I agree that Mopar couldn't offer a "lesser" powertrain on these big-honkin' minivans...I'd actually like to see even MORE torque to yank all that mass around. The former 4.0L V6 seemed to have better mid-range torque than the current 3.6L; wonder if they could bore/stroke the current engine at all...

...or maybe decrease the amount of mass that needs to be yanked around... :scratchchin:

Edited by NeonLX

Oh, I agree that Mopar couldn't offer a "lesser" powertrain on these big-honkin' minivans...I'd actually like to see even MORE torque to yank all that mass around. The former 4.0L V6 seemed to have better mid-range torque than the current 3.6L; wonder if they could bore/stroke the current engine at all...

...or maybe decrease the amount of mass that needs to be yanked around... :scratchchin:

The current trend is away from boring and stroking and instead using turbo(s). Even just a light turbo would do wonders for the low end torque on the 3.6.

Yeah...turbo would be good. But you know me...old-school, displacement rules kinda guy... :)

I agree, I am another Displacement guy, give me a honking V8 with turbo's or supercharger and I be happy. :P

Speaking of needing a big motor, I don't think the Journey has successfully taken the role of the old short wheelbase minivans. It looks more like a CUV, yet it is not quite as "cool" (CUV marketing term) as a true CUV.

I miss the old 2-row shortie minivans. This leaves a pretty sexy niche for the shortie 2014 Transit Connect to fill... that of the customer who would trade butt space for cargo space... or an Expedition/Explorer or even a recreational F-150 or late, lamented Ranger for something perhaps just as useful but not so consumptive.

Back to Mopar and their minivan dilemma that went public... maybe if they keep Caravan and Town & Country, but make one short and the other long on the same platform, as in olden days, there would be a reason for them both.

Edited by ocnblu

The updates did help the Journey, admitedly. I guess Dodge saleskids are able to guide potential 2-row Caravan intenders over to the Journey. No harm in that. But I still miss the shortie minivans. The third row in the Journey is an unfunny joke, seemingly there for marketing purposes only. I think the vehicle would be better served as a 2-row vehicle with more space for cargo.

Edited by ocnblu

I still think they need to look at what others have done, namely Honda and Toyota and make sure they can beat them on all features and functionality. This along with a modern Efficient power train.

• 3 weeks later...

Ya know, I had the same thought back when the supersized Mopar minivans came out for 2008 in "Grand" form only...they coulda kept the outgoing SWB model in the lineup under the Caravan nameplate--or how about Voyager! :scratchchin:

Even with the welcome changes to the current toaster-styled minivans, the previous generation *still* looks better to me--especially the shorties.

Edited by NeonLX