William Maley

Review: 2013 Volvo S60 T6 AWD R-Design

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

January 24, 2013

The letter R in the automotive world means an automaker has added a bit of spice to one of their vehicles. Examples include Acura Integra Type R and Volkswagen Golf R32 and R. The best example of the letter R being used by an automaker is Volvo. A brand known for safety and button-down styling would surprise the world when it introduced the 850 T-5 R sedan and wagon in 1995. Draped in some very wild colors, the 850 T-5 R was for its time one of fastest vehicles on the planet thanks to some major tweaks to the powertrain and suspension. Volvo would follow up with the 1999 V70R and the 2003 - 2006 S60R and V70R models, all of them proving improved performance over the base models.

But since the S60R and V70R models left the Volvo lineup, there hasn’t quite been the craziness the R models brought forth. Instead Volvo fell back into its safety ritual, but with more distinctive designs. Two key things would happen to Volvo within the past couple of years to bring them back into the crazy fold. First would be Volvo strengthening and expanding its partnership with its racing and performance partner Polestar. Second would be the introduction of the R-Design trim for the S60 and XC60. R-Design brings some tweaks to exterior, engine, and chassis.

gallery_10485_560_1137986.png

That brings us to the 2013 Volvo S60 T6 AWD R-Design. Does it show signs that craziness has entered Volvo once more?

Subtlety? Where?!

Volvo’s have been known to be very understated in their designs and the S60 R-Design is no exception to that rule, if you don’t decide to get your R-Design in what Volvo calls Rebel Blue. While I did like the bold color choice, some people weren’t so impressed with it. If you want to be fully understated with your S60 R-Design, go with another color.

gallery_10485_560_220447.png

Aside from the color, there’s a lot to appreciate about the S60’s design. The new S60 is an evolution of the first-generation model with some coupe cues in the form of a short rear overhang and sloping roof. Volvo has also fitted a unique set of headlights with LEDs sitting right beside it. The R-Design package layers on a lower front spoiler, eighteen-inch alloy wheels, rear spoiler, rear diffuser with dual-exhaust pipes, and a little R-Design badge on the front denoting its status.

A Lesson in Simplicity

The S60 R-Design’s interior is one of simplicity. The dashboard is very clean in its design with a mixture of a soft-touch materials, metal accents around the vents and door pulls, and a unique metal center stack. Its a very handsome and and well-built interior.

The front seats, draped in black leather, were some of the most comfortable seats I have sat in all year. Providing eight-way adjustments, heat, and the right amount of bolstering, the seats had the right of comfort and support for enthusiastic or long drives. Backseat passengers will appreciate the amount of headroom. Legroom can vary from good to none depending on how far the front seat is set.

gallery_10485_560_233808.png

Simplicity is a good word to describe the infotainment system. Instead of going with a controller like BMW, Mercedes and Audi, or a touchscreen with capacitive touch buttons like Cadillac and Lincoln, Volvo went with using a center stack full of buttons and knobs for to move around and control the system which appears on a seven-inch non-touch color screen. Some will complain that the center stack has way too many buttons and is a distraction to see which button you need to press. I would agree that when you're first using it, but after a while, it becomes second nature. While its very easy to use the system, I found that doing certain functions like moving around the map was a pain in the butt. I hope Volvo keeps the idea of simplicity when working on the next generation of their infotainment system, but maybe adds a joystiq or something that makes certain functions easier to do.

Those Crazy Swedes

Under the S60 T6 AWD R-Design is Volvo’s T6 engine; a turbocharged straight-six. In the normal S60 T6, you’re looking at 300 horsepower and 325 lb-ft of torque. In the R-Design model, you’re looking at 325 horsepower (@ 5,400 RPM) and 354 lb-ft of torque (@ 3,200 - 3,600 RPM). This is in part due to Polestar which increased the boost of the turbocharger and installed a new module which changes ignition, fuel mapping and throttle response. Power is sent to a six-speed Geartronic automatic transmission down to a Haldex-built AWD system.

The engine has a Jekyll and Hyde personality. If you go about and drive the S60 R-Design normally, the engine is able to keep up with traffic very well with nary a hint of its performance cred. However if you decide to slam the pedal to the floor or throw the transmission into either sport or manual mode, the engine will throw you back into your seat and climb in speed at a very alarming rate. Plus, you get this amazing growl from the exhaust. The six-speed automatic does an amazing job of proving smooth and unobtrusive shifts whether I had my foot to the floor or moving along at a normal pace. I did wish the R-Design came with some paddles to have more fun with the engine.

gallery_10485_560_376089.png

I did have an odd problem with this S60 R-Design’s gas pedal. If I put my foot on the pedal normally, about a quarter-way down, I found that I would going into hyperspace speed. But if maybe go an eighth of the way down on the pedal, the car accelerates normally. I’m not whether this is a programming issue or not, but reading through some other reviews of this car don’t mention this problem, so its just an issue with this particular vehicle.

The Haldex-built AWD system was non-intrusive and provided a feeling of sure-footedness no matter the conditions outside. Combined with Volvo’s Corner Traction Control system, the AWD system made the vehicle feel small and nimble when going through corners.

Fuel economy wise, S60 T6 R-Design is right in the middle of the pack in the compact luxury car class with the EPA rating it 18 City/25 Highway/21 Combined. For the week, I averaged 21.2 MPG with mostly suburban driving. A word of warning though; if you decide to stick your foot in the S60 T6 R-Design more often than not, be prepared to see your average MPG drop into the mid-teens.

The R-Design’s suspension is mostly the same as the normal S60. There are MacPherson struts up front and a independent rear suspension setup with stabilizer bars at either end. For the R-Design model, Volvo adds a 15 millimeter drop to the suspension, stiffer springs and bushings, strut tower brace, and Mono-tube shocks in the rear. These changes give the S60 R-Design almost the same handling characteristics as those from Germany. As for driving on a day to day basis, the R-Design suspension was able to cope with road imperfections very well.

The steering comes in the form of a rack and pinion setup with variable power assist. The steering hits the right balance of weight and feel whether you're attacking your favorite road or doing the daily drive. It gives the Germans and even the Cadillac ATS a run for their money.

It's A Volvo After All

Being a Volvo of course, the S60 R-Design is filled to the brim with safety technologies. Along with the AWD system and Corner Traction Control, the R-Design is fitted airbags all around the vehicle, Volvo’s Side Impact Protection System (SIPS) and Whiplash Protection System (WHIPS), a rearview camera, and City Safety which uses a sensor mounted at the top of the windshield to monitor traffic ahead of you and put the brakes on if the vehicle senses an impending collision.

One feature I wished was standard on the S60 R-Design was Volvo’s BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) which can tell you if a vehicle is in your blind spot. This would be really helpful since rear visibility is terrible thanks to some thick C-Pillars. BLIS is a $700 option on the R-Design, but I do hope Volvo makes it standard sometime in the S60’s lifecycle.

Welcome To Crazy Town

The 2013 Volvo S60 T6 AWD R-Design shows signs of craziness returning to Volvo. The evidence for this includes the wild blue paint, body modifications that are subtle, the two-sidedness of the powertrain, and a very impressive chassis setup.

While Volvo might not have the same cachet as a BMW or an Audi, the S60 R-Design can match them in other areas. If you’re the person who doesn't like to follow the leader, the S60 R-Design is worth a look.

gallery_10485_560_789262.png

Disclaimer: Volvo Cars of North America provided the S60 R-Design, Insurance, and one tank of gas.

tn_gallery_10485_560_1137986.png

Album: 2013 Volvo S60 T6 AWD R-Design

Year - 2013

Make – Volvo

Model – S60

Trim – T6 AWD R-Design

Engine – 3.0L Turbocharged Inline-Six

Driveline – All-Wheel Drive, Six-Speed Automatic

Horsepower @ RPM – 325 @ 5400 RPM

Torque @ RPM – 354 @ 3000 RPM

Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/25/21

Curb Weight – 3,835 lbs

Location of Manufacture – Ghent, Belgum

Base Price - $43,900.00

As Tested Price - $48,195.00 (Includes $895.00 destination charge)

Options:

S60 Platinum Package - $2,700.00

Climate Package - $700.00

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Click here to view the article

Love the quality presentation of the article - nice to see things stepped up a notch.

I can't say that the car does all that much for me, especially considering the price tag. But, I too like the simplicity of the interior - though I would forego the easter-egg blue exterior.

Is a manual offered?

Edited by Camino LS6

WOW, I like the racer Blue color, wish more car companies would give a bigger pallet of color selection. The interior is nice and I do like the simplistic approach. Yet I do agree with Drew, what is up with the center vent setup. Those two vents seem to be an after thought or maybe all the vents were up on top and the radio was where the vent is on the center stack and they decided to go with an updated touch screen and move things around as a cheap quick fix.

I really like the interior... but what is with those center vents?

LOVE the color!

I have no idea with that..

Love the quality presentation of the article - nice to see things stepped up a notch.

Is a manual offered?

Thanks. I'm working on improving my reviews.

No manual is offered.

Possibly.

For fun, though, I checked one of the international sites (Spain) to see which S60 models offer a manual. I learned two things:

1) The R-Design is US-only; everyone else tops out with the regular T6 with its paltry 300 hp.

2) None of the AWD versions get a manual, be they gasoline or diesel.

Transverse Audis use the Haldex system but re-brand it. Notably, the TTS and TTRS use that system but come with a 6MT.

Perhaps Volvo didn't figure it was worth the time to make it work.

Good question, Drew.

I don't see why not, but it could be.

Transverse Audis use the Haldex system but re-brand it. Notably, the TTS and TTRS use that system but come with a 6MT.

Perhaps Volvo didn't figure it was worth the time to make it work.

That seems more likely, especially since the R design is US only.

That seems more likely, especially since the R design is US only.

Even the regular T6 (always AWD) doesn't come with a manual overseas.

ADDENDUM per Camino's question earlier:

The S60 Polestar concept DOES have a manual. If it makes it to production, then there's hope for the row-your-own crew.

dislike the color.

the interiors on these most recent volvos have too sparse a look to me.

overall, i do like this car... wouldn't buy one but its a nice choice in the market and it is distinctive.

The side view of this car needs to be tarted up. It looks too much like a 20K Chevy Cruze and that interior is so spartan also looking like a 20K vehicle. As with so many cars today the only real interesting and distinct view is from the front or back. Obviously the goods lie underneath and under hood but I would have a real difficult time paying nearly 50 large for something this plain and small and thirsty.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. blue-bowtie
      blue-bowtie
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Most automakers tend to hold a debut of a new product at some extravagant venue. For the new V60, Volvo chose the driveway of a typical suburban family home in Sweden. Pragmatic? Sure, but in a way it works for next member of 60 series family.
      As we suspected from spy photos and was revealed by leaked photos last week, the 2019 V60 is a smaller version of the V90. All of the traits are there such as a minimalist body design, headlights featuring Thor's hammer, and L-shaped taillights that extend upward along the tailgate. Compared to the V90, the V60 is about seven inches shorter in overall length and two inches short in wheelbase. But compared to the current V60, the new model will offer more cargo space (48.2 vs. 43.2 cubic feet) and two more inches of rear legroom.
      The V60's interior is the same as what you'll find in the XC60 and 90 series models. A minimalist design featuring wood and aluminum inlays on the dash and door panels, and a large touchscreen with Volvo's Sensus infotainment system. Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and 4G LTE will be standard on all V60s.
      Volvo will be offering six engines for the V60. The ones that have been confirmed for the U.S. are the T5 (turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder, 250 horsepower) and T6 (turbo and supercharged 2.0L four-cylinder, 310 horsepower and 295 pound-feet). The two that are very interesting are the plug-in hybrids. The T8 and all-new T6 Twin Engine hybrids use the same twin-charged 2.0L found in the T6 and a 65-kilowatt electric motor. The difference is in the output of the gas engine. The T6 produces 253 horsepower and 258 pound-feet, while the T8 makes do with 303 horsepower and 295 pound-feet. Total output for both powertrains are,
      T6 Twin Engine: 340 horsepower and 435 pound-feet of torque T8 Twin Engine: 390 horsepower and 472 pound-feet of torque Interestingly, both models reach 62 mph in 4.8 seconds and have an electric-only range of 28 miles. At the moment, Volvo isn't saying if the Twin Engine models will come to the U.S. The other two engines are diesel and will not come to the U.S. 
      The T5 and T6 will come equipped with an eight-speed automatic. The T5 comes in front-wheel drive, while the T6 is all-wheel drive.
      Being a Volvo, the V60 will come fully stocked with various safety equipment such as City Safety with Autobrake, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, and Volvo's semi-autonomous Pilot Assist system.
      No word on pricing, but the V60 will be available later this year for purchase or through the Care by Volvo vehicle subscription service. A Cross Country variant will be coming according to Roadshow.
      Source: Volvo, Roadshow
      Press Release is on Page 2

Volvo launches new V60 versatile family estate
      Volvo Cars, the premium car maker, today revealed the new V60 five-door, mid-size premium estate, underlining the Swedish company’s position as a maker of cars that combine good looks with everyday practicality.
      The car was launched in its natural habitat – the driveway of a family home in Stockholm – highlighting Volvo Cars’ pedigree in family estates and pinpointing how the V60’s versatile design caters to the diverse needs and realities of modern family life.
      Few car makers can match Volvo Cars’ history and credibility in making well-designed, practical and versatile estate cars.
      “The family estate driver is an important customer for our business and has been for generations,” said Håkan Samuelsson, president and CEO of Volvo Cars. “The new V60 honours that tradition, but also takes it much further.”
      The new V60 shares Volvo Cars’ Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) platform with the award-winning new XC60 and four top-of-the-line 90 Series cars, which have been the collective force behind the company’s record-breaking global sales performance in recent years.
      The SPA-based V60 introduces a new standard to the mid-size premium estate segment with a luxurious interior, increased levels of space, advanced connectivity, plus Volvo Cars’ latest driver support systems and other safety technology.
      “The V60 really is the central point of the Volvo brand,” said Robin Page, Senior Vice President Design at Volvo Cars. “It’s refined, has a beautiful proportion and stance, yet delivers on practicality and versatility.
      In a first for the segment, customers can access the new V60 via Volvo Cars’ new premium subscription service Care by Volvo*, which offers car access via a monthly flat-fee subscription rather than ownership. Care by Volvo makes having a car as transparent, easy and hassle free as having a mobile phone.
      Reflecting Volvo Cars’ industry-first announcement to electrify all new cars from 2019, the V60 comes with two plug-in hybrid powertrain options: the new T6 Twin Engine AWD petrol plug-in hybrid that generates a combined 340hp or the T8 Twin Engine AWD petrol plug-in hybrid that delivers 390hp.
      The regular petrol choice offers T5 or T6 powertrains. Drivers who prefer diesel can select D3 or D4 engines.
      The new V60 reinforces Volvo Cars’ standing as the industry leader in safety, with a comprehensive list of safety features that come as standard, including advanced driver support systems known from the 90 Series and XC60, making the new V60 one of the safest cars on the road.
      The City Safety with Autobrake technology uses automatic braking and detection systems to assist the driver in avoiding potential collisions, and is the only system on the market to recognise pedestrians, cyclists and large animals. In a world first, City Safety now also engages autobraking to mitigate oncoming collisions. 
      The Pilot Assist system – which supports the driver with steering, acceleration and braking on well-marked roads up to 130km/h – has been upgraded with improved cornering performance. The V60 also includes Run-off Road Mitigation, Oncoming Lane Mitigation and other steering assistance systems. The optional Cross Traffic Alert with autobrake further improves safety for people inside and outside the car.
      Volvo Cars’ Sensus infotainment system is fully compatible with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and 4G, and keeps drivers connected at all times. The system is control via an intuitive tablet-style touch screen that combines car functions, navigation, connected services and entertainment apps.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Most automakers tend to hold a debut of a new product at some extravagant venue. For the new V60, Volvo chose the driveway of a typical suburban family home in Sweden. Pragmatic? Sure, but in a way it works for next member of 60 series family.
      As we suspected from spy photos and was revealed by leaked photos last week, the 2019 V60 is a smaller version of the V90. All of the traits are there such as a minimalist body design, headlights featuring Thor's hammer, and L-shaped taillights that extend upward along the tailgate. Compared to the V90, the V60 is about seven inches shorter in overall length and two inches short in wheelbase. But compared to the current V60, the new model will offer more cargo space (48.2 vs. 43.2 cubic feet) and two more inches of rear legroom.
      The V60's interior is the same as what you'll find in the XC60 and 90 series models. A minimalist design featuring wood and aluminum inlays on the dash and door panels, and a large touchscreen with Volvo's Sensus infotainment system. Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and 4G LTE will be standard on all V60s.
      Volvo will be offering six engines for the V60. The ones that have been confirmed for the U.S. are the T5 (turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder, 250 horsepower) and T6 (turbo and supercharged 2.0L four-cylinder, 310 horsepower and 295 pound-feet). The two that are very interesting are the plug-in hybrids. The T8 and all-new T6 Twin Engine hybrids use the same twin-charged 2.0L found in the T6 and a 65-kilowatt electric motor. The difference is in the output of the gas engine. The T6 produces 253 horsepower and 258 pound-feet, while the T8 makes do with 303 horsepower and 295 pound-feet. Total output for both powertrains are,
      T6 Twin Engine: 340 horsepower and 435 pound-feet of torque T8 Twin Engine: 390 horsepower and 472 pound-feet of torque Interestingly, both models reach 62 mph in 4.8 seconds and have an electric-only range of 28 miles. At the moment, Volvo isn't saying if the Twin Engine models will come to the U.S. The other two engines are diesel and will not come to the U.S. 
      The T5 and T6 will come equipped with an eight-speed automatic. The T5 comes in front-wheel drive, while the T6 is all-wheel drive.
      Being a Volvo, the V60 will come fully stocked with various safety equipment such as City Safety with Autobrake, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, and Volvo's semi-autonomous Pilot Assist system.
      No word on pricing, but the V60 will be available later this year for purchase or through the Care by Volvo vehicle subscription service. A Cross Country variant will be coming according to Roadshow.
      Source: Volvo, Roadshow
      Press Release is on Page 2

Volvo launches new V60 versatile family estate
      Volvo Cars, the premium car maker, today revealed the new V60 five-door, mid-size premium estate, underlining the Swedish company’s position as a maker of cars that combine good looks with everyday practicality.
      The car was launched in its natural habitat – the driveway of a family home in Stockholm – highlighting Volvo Cars’ pedigree in family estates and pinpointing how the V60’s versatile design caters to the diverse needs and realities of modern family life.
      Few car makers can match Volvo Cars’ history and credibility in making well-designed, practical and versatile estate cars.
      “The family estate driver is an important customer for our business and has been for generations,” said Håkan Samuelsson, president and CEO of Volvo Cars. “The new V60 honours that tradition, but also takes it much further.”
      The new V60 shares Volvo Cars’ Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) platform with the award-winning new XC60 and four top-of-the-line 90 Series cars, which have been the collective force behind the company’s record-breaking global sales performance in recent years.
      The SPA-based V60 introduces a new standard to the mid-size premium estate segment with a luxurious interior, increased levels of space, advanced connectivity, plus Volvo Cars’ latest driver support systems and other safety technology.
      “The V60 really is the central point of the Volvo brand,” said Robin Page, Senior Vice President Design at Volvo Cars. “It’s refined, has a beautiful proportion and stance, yet delivers on practicality and versatility.
      In a first for the segment, customers can access the new V60 via Volvo Cars’ new premium subscription service Care by Volvo*, which offers car access via a monthly flat-fee subscription rather than ownership. Care by Volvo makes having a car as transparent, easy and hassle free as having a mobile phone.
      Reflecting Volvo Cars’ industry-first announcement to electrify all new cars from 2019, the V60 comes with two plug-in hybrid powertrain options: the new T6 Twin Engine AWD petrol plug-in hybrid that generates a combined 340hp or the T8 Twin Engine AWD petrol plug-in hybrid that delivers 390hp.
      The regular petrol choice offers T5 or T6 powertrains. Drivers who prefer diesel can select D3 or D4 engines.
      The new V60 reinforces Volvo Cars’ standing as the industry leader in safety, with a comprehensive list of safety features that come as standard, including advanced driver support systems known from the 90 Series and XC60, making the new V60 one of the safest cars on the road.
      The City Safety with Autobrake technology uses automatic braking and detection systems to assist the driver in avoiding potential collisions, and is the only system on the market to recognise pedestrians, cyclists and large animals. In a world first, City Safety now also engages autobraking to mitigate oncoming collisions. 
      The Pilot Assist system – which supports the driver with steering, acceleration and braking on well-marked roads up to 130km/h – has been upgraded with improved cornering performance. The V60 also includes Run-off Road Mitigation, Oncoming Lane Mitigation and other steering assistance systems. The optional Cross Traffic Alert with autobrake further improves safety for people inside and outside the car.
      Volvo Cars’ Sensus infotainment system is fully compatible with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and 4G, and keeps drivers connected at all times. The system is control via an intuitive tablet-style touch screen that combines car functions, navigation, connected services and entertainment apps.
    • By William Maley
      Next month at the Geneva Motor Show, Volvo will be showing off the new V60 wagon. At least that was the plan. Only a few hours after Volvo dropped a teaser video, a couple pictures of the supposed model made their way online. The pictures, which first appeared on Bosnian site AutoMotoSvijet have been since taken down, but not before various other sites grabbed copies.
      As we suspected from spy shots last month, the new V60 looks like a downsized V90 with a clean profile and taillights that extend upward on the tailgate. We're expecting a similar interior design found in the XC60, along with the choice of the T5, T6, and T8 plug-in hybrid powertrains.
      Volvo will be revealing the V60 at an event next week and we'll be sure to bring you the details.
      Source: AutoMotoSvijet via CarScoops, Motor Authority

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Next month at the Geneva Motor Show, Volvo will be showing off the new V60 wagon. At least that was the plan. Only a few hours after Volvo dropped a teaser video, a couple pictures of the supposed model made their way online. The pictures, which first appeared on Bosnian site AutoMotoSvijet have been since taken down, but not before various other sites grabbed copies.
      As we suspected from spy shots last month, the new V60 looks like a downsized V90 with a clean profile and taillights that extend upward on the tailgate. We're expecting a similar interior design found in the XC60, along with the choice of the T5, T6, and T8 plug-in hybrid powertrains.
      Volvo will be revealing the V60 at an event next week and we'll be sure to bring you the details.
      Source: AutoMotoSvijet via CarScoops, Motor Authority

• By William Maley
      Mazda has a big dream for itself. It is trying to stand out from the competition by becoming more premium. The first steps of this process took place last year with a refreshed Mazda6 sedan. As we noted in our review at the time, the 6 made great strides in improving noise isolation and material quality. Now, the premium dream is coming more into focus with the redesigned CX-5. Mazda is making some big promises with claims of improved refinement and an upscale look and feel for the interior. We spent a week in a 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring to see if those promises are met.
      The past few years have seen Mazda designing some distinctive looking vehicles and the redesigned CX-5 is no exception. The overall shape is an evolution of the first-generation model with smoother lines and more curves. The small details such as the wider front grille, slim LED headlights, 19-inch aluminum wheels, and a rear tailgate design similar to the Mazda3 really set the CX-5 apart from the competition. The only item that slightly ruins the design is the oversized Mazda emblem on the front grille. This is due to the emblem holding the hardware for various active safety equipment such as the radar cruise control.
      Moving inside, it is clear Mazda has put a lot of effort in making the CX-5 a cut above the rest. The modern design and appointments such as the stitching on the dash and bright trim around the vents make for a very classy cabin. Most materials are soft-touch which add another level of the premium-ness Mazda is pushing. Controls fall readily to hand for both driver and front-seat passenger. 
      The front seats in the Grand Touring come wrapped in leather upholstery and feature power adjustments and heat. It would be nice if Mazda had the option of ventilation to prop up their premium image, but we’re nitpicking here. The seats offer excellent support over long trips and plenty of head and legroom. Back seat passengers will have no complaints as head and legroom are very competitive with other models, and there is the option of heated seats. Cargo space is where the CX-5 falters. Open the tailgate to be greeted with 30.9 cubic feet behind the rear seats. Fold the seats to expand space to 59.6 cubic feet. It pales in comparison to the likes of the Honda CR-V (39.2 and 75.8 cubic feet) and Volkswagen’s redesigned Tiguan (37.6 and 73.5 cubic feet).
      The Grand Touring comes with a 7-inch touchscreen with the Mazda Connect infotainment system and a control knob. It does take some time to learn the various idiosyncrasies such as the touchscreen functions being locked out when the vehicle is on the move and having to jump through various menus to switch between various audio sources. Once you get the hang of the system, it becomes easy to use. Mazda Connect is beginning to show its age with the dark color palate, somewhat dated navigation interface, and the lack of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration. 
      Mazda only offers the 2.5L Skyactiv-G four-cylinder engine with 187 horsepower and 185 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a six-speed automatic and the choice of either front-wheel or Mazda’s i-Active all-wheel drive. The engine is where Mazda’s premium image takes a serious hit. Around town, the engine is very peppy and is willing to get speed quickly. But the powertrain feels somewhat winded when power was needed to make a pass or merge on an expressway. Mazda has been working on a diesel engine option that was expected to arrive in the second half of last year, but hasn’t come out at the time of this writing. A fix that I’m willing to propose is to offer the turbocharged 2.5L four from the CX-9. The six-speed automatic goes about its business with crisp and smooth shifts.
      Fuel economy for the CX-5 AWD is rated by the EPA at 23 City/29 Highway/26 Combined. My average for the week landed around 25.7 mpg.
      We have praised the previous-generation Mazda CX-5 as being one best driving crossovers. The new one continues that with agile handling and excellent body control. The steering provides excellent feedback and weight when driving down a winding road. Mazda has fitted their G-Vectoring Control that monitors steering and throttle input, and will reduce engine power to improve overall handling. But as I noted in my Mazda6 quick drive last year, I couldn’t tell if the system made a difference or not. The same is true when it comes to the CX-5. This sporting edge does mean the ride quality is slightly rough with a fair number of road imperfections being transmitted inside. The 19-inch wheels don’t help with this and it might be worth considering dropping down to the Touring for the smaller 17-inch wheels. At least Mazda is continuing to improve road and wind noise isolation. Compared to the last CX-5 I drove, there is a reduction in road and wind noise inside. It is almost as quiet as what you might find in a luxury model.
      If I was to recommend a CX-5 for most buyers in 2017, that would be the Grand Touring. While I find the price to be slightly high and the 19-inch wheels make the ride uncomfortable, it was the only way to get a number of active safety features such as radar cruise control and the smart city brake support. Thankfully for 2018, Mazda has migrated a number of those features down to the Touring and Sport trims. If you’re considering a 2018 CX-5, the Touring is your best bet as you’ll get most everything on the Grand Touring at a price that won’t break the bank.
      Has Mazda accomplished their hopes of becoming more premium? The answer is a bit mixed. For the positives, Mazda has been making great strides in improving the noise isolation in their vehicles and the new CX-5 is no exception. There is also the distinctive exterior shape, noticeable improvement in material quality, and the sharp driving dynamics that have made the CX-5 a darling of the automotive press. The negatives on the CX-5 include a slightly stiff ride, smallish cargo area, and certain missing features that would really help with the premium image Mazda is trying to project. But the biggest issue has to be the engine. While 2.5 Skyactiv-G is perfectly adequate around town, it really struggles when more speed is called for. Dropping either the long-delayed diesel or the CX-9’s turbo-four would really do wonders and help foster the premium image.
      The 2017 Mazda CX-5 is so close to the premium edge. It just needs a few more tweaks to reach it.
      Disclaimer: Mazda Provided the CX-5, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Mazda
      Model: CX-5
      Trim: Grand Touring AWD
      Engine: 2.5L Skyactiv-G Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Six-Speed Automatic
      Horsepower @ RPM: 187 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 186 @ 4,000 
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 23/29/26
      Curb Weight: 3,693 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Hiroshima, Japan
      Base Price: $30,695
      As Tested Price: $34,380 (Includes $940.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Premium Package - $1,830.00
      Soul Red - $595.00
      Retractable Cargo Cover $250.00
      Cargo Mat - $70.00

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars