It's Ford vs. Chevy!

ocnblu

I'd watch a Dodge Charger SRT-8 v. Ford Taurus SHO v. Chevy... uh... well... we'll just move on..

Chevy SS... I'm sure the magazines will do a comparison like this in a few months (assuming the Chevy SS is still coming).

molar wut is he having trouble wif his teef

Tonight on the way home I was following a plodding 2013 Fusion Hybrid when I got an idear... let's set up a drag race between the Fusion Titanium 2.0L EB and a Malibu LTZ 2.0t. And a fuel economy run after that.

You got it, man.

BTW, I'd like a comparo of all the FWD full-size sedans. Taurus, Impala, Azera, Maxima, Avalon... and I'm sure I'm forgetting one.

Passat

Accord

If you're going to leave off the Lacrosse and Cadenza, then the Azera should go too.

You got it, man.

BTW, I'd like a comparo of all the FWD full-size sedans. Taurus, Impala, Azera, Maxima, Avalon... and I'm sure I'm forgetting one.

Passat

Accord

If you're going to leave off the Lacrosse and Cadenza, then the Azera should go too.

Passat and Accord don't list the aforementioned as their competitors, so I didn't mention. They're very much still in the midsize market... like the 6-foot-tall kid on the 5th grade basketball team.

I left off the LaCrosse because of the Impala, and I left off the Cadenza in favor of the Azera.

You got it, man.

Passat

Accord

Passat and Accord don't list the aforementioned as their competitors, so I didn't mention. They're very much still in the midsize market... like the 6-foot-tall kid on the 5th grade basketball team.

I left off the LaCrosse because of the Impala, and I left off the Cadenza in favor of the Azera.

I will concede your point about the Accord because is is just barely in the class if you don't order it with the sunroof... but the Passat definitely deserves to be included as a full sizer. It feels much roomier inside than a Taurus.

I will concede your point about the Accord because is is just barely in the class if you don't order it with the sunroof... but the Passat definitely deserves to be included as a full sizer. It feels much roomier inside than a Taurus.

You think so? I sat in both, and the Taurus still feels more spacious, at least in the driver's seat. That said, the Taurus does have some weird angles inside that intrude in odd places.

Also, though it's not here, VW still has the Phaeton in the portfolio as the company full-sizer. I'd say that the Passat is still there as the midsizer, both in starting price and engine offerings. (And yeah, exterior size...)

Edited by Lamar

As far as the US market, it seems like the Passat is the midsize and the CC the fullsize (though the CC is probably smaller inside than the Passat)? I haven't been in a current Passat, ridden in my boss' CC a few times...

I've driven the current style Taurus a couple years ago--nice inside, but pretty tight with poor rearward visibility. Seems cramped compared to old-school Panthers that I've driven a lot more of as rentals...

You think so? I sat in both, and the Taurus still feels more spacious, at least in the driver's seat. That said, the Taurus does have some weird angles inside that intrude in odd places.

Also, though it's not here, VW still has the Phaeton in the portfolio as the company full-sizer. I'd say that the Passat is still there as the midsizer, both in starting price and engine offerings. (And yeah, exterior size...)

The numbers back it up. The Passat certainly deserves to be compared based up against the Taurus, Maxima, and Avalon for size. (I don't have the new Impala specs yet)

post-51-0-85100700-1360608195_thumb.png

As far as the US market, it seems like the Passat is the midsize and the CC the fullsize (though the CC is probably smaller inside than the Passat)? I haven't been in a current Passat, ridden in my boss' CC a few times...

I've driven the current style Taurus a couple years ago--nice inside, but pretty tight with poor rearward visibility. Seems cramped compared to old-school Panthers that I've driven a lot more of as rentals...

No, the CC is smaller inside and out.

And yet the Passat's down on interior volume by about 4.4 cu ft to the Taurus. Wonder where the space went... must be due to the width difference.

Now for fun, I looked up the Fusion's interior numbers, and most of the measurements are greater than those of the Passat (only rear legroom and shoulder room are less). Are we going to call the Fusion a Taurus competitor too? :scratchchin:

And yet the Passat's down on interior volume by about 4.4 cu ft to the Taurus. Wonder where the space went... must be due to the width difference.

Now for fun, I looked up the Fusion's interior numbers, and most of the measurements are greater than those of the Passat (only rear legroom and shoulder room are less). Are we going to call the Fusion a Taurus competitor too? :scratchchin:

Perhaps we should be calling into question the classification of "full size" then because I see what you mean about the Fusion. BTW, interior volume only matters if you are filling the interior with sand. Enterprise tried that trick with me once... trying to pass off the HHR as a "full size car" based on passenger volume.

But my point remains, the Passat and the Taurus are within the same size class based on the numbers, along with Avalon and Maxima as well. BTW, two more that screw with this size class are the Altima and Sonata.

post-51-0-45301300-1360609963_thumb.png

No, the CC is smaller inside and out.

true..the CC is basically rebody of the previous Passat, (still the current in Europe)..the dash even looks much the same..

I guess we should distinguish "size class" from "market segment" then, as they're not the same thing anymore.

You're right, though... size classes are changing as everything is getting bigger, especially cars in the midsize segment. Sonata's not that much smaller than Azera, and Altima is actually bigger than Maxima in most dimensions IIRC.

I still chuckle when I think about how my wife's Maxima was classified as a "full-size" car in 1999.