What vehicle would you buy that's outside of your "norm"?

Discussing with some friends lately new vehicles. Many are sticking to the type of vehicle that they currently have now (CUVs, pickups, sedans, etc). So we got on the topic of what vehicle would interest you that is outside of your norm but would be an appropriate daily driver to replace the type of vehicle that you currently own. This is not a "what ultimate vehicle would you choose if money were no issue" scenario. It's a scenario where you don't get the vehicle you prefer; for me that means no pickup or SUV.

So I'll start this off. If I were buying a vehicle today outside of a pickup or SUV, I would choose:

1) 2014 Chevrolet Impala - I'm smitten by this new Impala. I will admit at introduction last year not really being all into it, but once it made it's way to the public I found it's style and design very intriguing. This is one car I could see myself owning outside of a pickup or SUV.

2) Buick Verano - Again, another car I'm smitten with. Smaller than I'm comfortable with, but an attractive design with a great interior and fuel economy to boot.

Those are my two. What are yours?

My "norm" for new cars these days would be along the lines of the XTS V-Sport, Chrysler 300C, CTS or even a previous generation S-Class or XJ after someone else takes the massive depreciation hit.

That said, I just had a blast of a time today in a Sonic RS. This is a car that defies most everything I go for in cars... size, torque, low rpm cruising.... yet I keep coming back to the Sonic and especially the RS as a car that I would buy in a different life.

I also drove a new Jeep Cherokee (note the lack of "Grand" here, that is intentional) - I wonder if this little crossover is going to be serving a lot of crow eventually. Its looks are growing on me quickly, it has ride characteristics that will remind you of its Grander brother, and it seems quite capable off road when properly equipped. I drove both the Limited version on road and the Trailhawk version off road. The were running the Trailhawk on the same off-road course the Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel, the Jeep Wrangler, and the Land Rover Range Rover were running on, not the dinky course the Subarus and Outlanders get. I'll put more in my Quick Drive write-up, but suffice it to say that it scampered up hills and over obstacles right behind its big brother through places no CR-V, Forester, or RAV-4 would dare to tread. This is enough to make me think about a Cherokee Trailhawas a potential CR-V replacement for myself.

A big mostly luxury sedan...

Like the Impala in the October spotting thread. The look and idea of such a nice big comfortable gorgeous car...love the idea...then I remember after a few days it might drive me crazy going "why did I get a 2x size car?".

The same is true for the Acura RLX. Or the XTS. I've sold several RLX's recently and when I'm in them and driving...it reminds me of my time flinging one around the Atlanta Motor Speedway, or riding in the huge back seat. Kinda helps mix that "I want a big car" with "this actually drives like a small car". I was thinking of getting one for a while there, in full support of the brand I live by. White with black leather...

The only other random would be Camaro or Corvette. Thinking there will be a Vette someday.

I was at the Cadillac dealer today though, so...never know.

For some bizarre freaking reason I have periodically been intrigued with that Lexus hybrid hatchback. If I were looking hybrid, I would give it a chance.

The CT200h...I dislike Prius, etc. in so many ways, but I will say the CT looks and even feels SO different thanks to the Lexus duds. It's actually an intriguing car.

Good suggestions so far. Like I said, I'd be initially happy with the Impala (or the second runner up, the Verano) but ultimately I'd become less interested in it once the newness wore off and I'd miss being in a truck/SUV. Every Impala I see lately is calling my name, too bad my wife isn't into them :(

Since my wheelhouse is full size sedans I would have to say:

- Lexus IS350 Convertible

- Volvo C70 Convertible

- Volvo XC70

- Subaru Outback

- C7 Corvette

- Volt

... are all ones I've thought about the prospect of from time to time.