My New Car!

Well, due to trying to free up more income to look for a nice house I traded my 2011 Silverado 6.2L on Saturday for this 2014 Cruze:

20131109_145216_zps83a4dab9.jpg

Only picture I have right now. My Wife has a 2012 RS just like this only in white with a sunroof. I opted for the technology package with the Chevy Mylink & back up camera instead of the All Star Package. It was $19,835 with the 2K rebate. My Wife's has a little over 50,000 miles on it, and it is a great car! This is the third brand new GM I have owned, and the 7th GM vehicle I've owned since I was 17.

Congrats on the new Cruze, though I like the Silverado better!! :P As you already know, you'll be happy with the Cruze and the savings it will bring. But you're gonna miss that 6.2L V8, especially since right now GM is having issues with supplies of the new EcoTec3 6.2L V8 (demand outpaces supply).

Thanks guys. I plan to get a GMT800 pickup again sometime in the future after I get a house. I liked the 900 series, but hated AFM. Only way I can see getting a 900 series again is if I can find another 6.2L, but I would be happy with just an 800 series 5.3 truck.

What was the main issues about AFM that turned you off?

It made the truck sluggish. It just didn't work well in the hilly terrain around here. I had it turned off, but the truck still acted funny like it was always shifting or something. It's also not a very reliable system imo. All of the components involved to make it work there is no way an engine with it will have the longevity of an engine without it. Then there's the issue of oil consumption, and lifter noise that some people have (my parents 07 Monte Carlo SS is one with lifter noise at 47,000 miles). My parents SS also has a problem with the car randomly jerking when AFM engages. That issue just started one day out of the blue, and it comes and goes depending on the day I guess. Overall I think the system is complete garbage, and will never go back to a truck that has it.

Interesting to see the amount of forums that have AFM complaints. I had not heard of this till now, but interesting to see that the bulk of them are against the 5.3L v8, a competely different AFM was built for other size engines and does not seem to get the negative press that the 5.3L does.