Drive and Dump?

Do you buy a car, use it and dump it within a short period?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy a car, use it and dump it within a short period?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends (please specify details)

I've noticed that this is sort of a culture thing, it seems. Almost everyone around me are the kind of people who buys cars, use it for a few years and dump it. I've once told my friend that I will keep my G6 for a long time, he thinks I'm insane.

What's your attitude towards your car?

I can understand it. You can like a car but at the same time you dn't want to be driving the same thing forever. What fun is that? There are already tons of cars out there I want to own but I'll never realistically own (let alone drive) them all.

It's a cliche but variety is the spice of life.

i have done it but i takes a lot to let a car go. but most cars i keep untill they die or are to costly to fix. and i dontate to purple heart instead of a junk yard.

Q45: might get traded on a Chrysler 300C or CTS-V in a few years.

Datsun: Not going anywhere, it's super rare, quirky, 5-spd & RWD.

Sixty8 Camaro: Saddly I must part w/ the Camaro soon to get cash for a '59 Buick

Volvo: The days are numbered. It'll be going to the Junkyard soon.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Everyone in my family keeps cars until they no longer run or are unsafe to run. A purchase is a lifetime (for the car) committment.

Although, that new car smell is really nice, especially when you get to smell it every 10 years or so...

Depends on the car... we're tired of the '03 Odyssey, so we're getting something different. The '00 5-series is still interesting, so we're keeping it. The '02 Passat and '88 240 aren't worth anything, so we're keeping them.

There's a big time & unforeseen circumstances factor here. As a hypothetical example: Suppose a well-off 20-something male buys himself a sporty car like a Mustang or 350Z. Besides being at perhaps the one point in his life where he would be able to justify such a vehicle, he also has an ulterior motive: To pick up chicks.

Fast forward five years. His mission accomplished, he has himself a girl and has settled down with her. They are thinking about starting a family, buying a house, all that other stuff. The guy needs a car that has a useable backseat, four doors, easy on gas/payments/insurance... all-around, a very pragmatic car. Suddenly, the Mustang/350Z doesn't seem like such a great vehicular choice, does it?

On a personal level: When I bought my Grand Marquis back in March of '05, I had no idea that I would need to drive 135 kilometers (84 miles) today in May of '06. Needless to say, the cost of fuel commands a signifigant portion of my budget these days, and I'm looking to rid myself of the gas-guzzling Mercury ASAP.

I'd like to say that, when the opportunity arrives for me to buy a brand new/much newer vehicle, I would drive it into the ground. So far, though, I haven't gotten that chance. And who knows what the future holds? What if I am "forced" to dump my car again, like I am with the Mercury? At this stage in my life, I cannot fathom having the kind of disposable income to dump a car just because I was "bored" of it. What if I have that kind of money to throw around later in my life? Will my opinion change? There's just too many variables right now.

Guest YellowJacket894

I'm planning on buying a '68 Firebird soon and giving it the mild resto it needs. What do you think you should do with a car that increases in value each year and is more or less cheap on insurance? Because you most certainly do not "drive and dump" it like you would a Camry with a busted transmission.

Edited by YellowJacket894

What's your attitude towards your car?

I answered "depends". Lemme explain:

My current family of MCs are most certainly NOT drive'n'dump. I've had my '79 MC since 1992 ... and my most-recent acquisition ('87 MC LS in mid-2003) is not going anywhere.

However, the 2 cars I bought brand new ('97 malibu and '00 mc LS) were most-definitely drive'n'dump. I had the '97 only for 2 years ... and the '00 for 4.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I'm not the only person with these things in mind" ... Linkin Park ... 'Somewhere I Belong'

in the 3 and a half years i had my 01 suburban i put on over 150000. Along with that, over the past year and a half i have put 40000 on my impala. The suburban had to go because i was afraid something catastrophic what about to happen so i traded up to the 03. I will probably try to trade this one in on something before it hits 150000, but its already half way there so we'll see. As for the impala....ill probably run it into the ground. I bought it dirt cheap as a car to put miles on. after about 3 years, i get sick of a vehicle.

It completely depends on the vehicle and outside circumstances. I usually intend to keep everything I buy, but it doesn't always work out that way. I hate selling any of my cars/trucks. But, I am always looking for something else so something has to go. Vehicular needs and financial realities change all the time, so the "fleet" changes too. With unlimited funds, most of my vehicles would never see another owner while I'm drawing breath. :AH-HA_wink: