Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM Order Guide Hints at Cadillac ATS getting VSport Option for 2016

Items Of Interest From 2016 Cadillac ATS Sedan Order Guide

Free-Flow RPO Code Description

5LQ LPO, Slotted Brake Rotor and Pad Upgrade Package

VVX LPO, Vsport Red Brake Caliper, Slotted Rotor and Pad Upgrade Package

The 5LQ is not available with Vsport Red Brake Caliper, Slotted Rotor and Pad Upgrade Package (VVX), and the VVX is not available with the Slotted Brake Rotor and Pad Upgrade Package (5LQ) nor the 17″ x 8″ polished aluminum wheels (Q5W).

What’s more, the order guide for the 2016 Cadillac ATS Coupe does not have either the 5LQ nor the VVX options.

GM Authority

I have a feeling that instead of V6 trim levels, we'll see the new 3.6L/8A powertrain listed as the Vsport. The 2.0T is plenty potent to serve as the volume engine and I doubt the Vsport would be much more expensive than the outgoing midlevel V6 trim anyway. Besides, it's better branding to upsell the higher equipment levels than having a salesman explain the V6 trims compared to the 2.0T.

Edited by cp-the-nerd

• 3 weeks later...

What it really needs is a more impressive drivetrain.

There are 4 engines ranging from 200hp to 464hp, 3 transmissions, and AWD or RWD...... what do you see is missing? 

An engine that compares favorably to the N55 at least, let alone the upcoming B58. That and the other two Germans' blown V6's. And the 2.5 just needs to be dropped.

What it really needs is a more impressive drivetrain.

Kind of unwarranted. The 2016 ATS gets 8-speed autos standard with the 2.0T and a new 3.6L V6 with 335 hp.

See above. Also, the V6 needs to be available with an MT.

The "simple" fix would just be to use the 3.0TT.

That would be awesome. That engine with ~350hp and a manual would be incredible. And might very well render the V superfluous.

Well it makes 400hp and 400 lb-ft in the CT6, so I dunno why you'd want to detune it from that. 

That would be awesome. That engine with ~350hp and a manual would be incredible. And might very well render the V superfluous.

Well it makes 400hp and 400 lb-ft in the CT6, so I dunno why you'd want to detune it from that. 

wouldn't want to detune it, but they'd have to at least a little to not infringe on the V's territory.

I'll admit this freely- if there was a V Sport with at least 350hp from the 3.0TTV6, and it was paired to a 7MT, had a good LSD and brakes and was under 50K, I'd buy one over any new BMW.

wouldn't want to detune it, but they'd have to at least a little to not infringe on the V's territory.

I'll admit this freely- if there was a V Sport with at least 350hp from the 3.0TTV6, and it was paired to a 7MT, had a good LSD and brakes and was under 50K, I'd buy one over any new BMW.

"...and was under 50k"

Not a realistic hope. You can't get that kind of equipment from competitors for under $60k. I do wish the manual trans would be more widely available. They're not even using the 7-speed outside of the Vette right now. Seemed like an obvious choice in the ATS-V.

"...and was under 50k"

Not a realistic hope. You can't get that kind of equipment from competitors for under $60k. I do wish the manual trans would be more widely available. They're not even using the 7-speed outside of the Vette right now. Seemed like an obvious choice in the ATS-V.

Lol, what?? I JUST built a 335i for 47K. It has everything but an LSD. You mean to tell me Cadillac couldn't build the car I mentioned for 50K? Puh lease.

And here I pegged you as not being ate up as the rest of GM boys.

"...and was under 50k"

Lol, what?? I JUST built a 335i for 47K. It has everything but an LSD. You mean to tell me Cadillac couldn't build the car I mentioned for 50K? Puh lease.

I don't get why you're being so condescending toward me lately. I thought you were referring to V-level equipment with a lesser engine, I guess I read too far into your comment. I was wondering why you'd suddenly be asking Cadillac to sell high-end performance on the cheap.

"...and was under 50k"

I don't get why you're being so condescending toward me lately. I thought you were referring to V-level equipment with a lesser engine, I guess I read too far into your comment. I was wondering why you'd suddenly be asking Cadillac to sell high-end performance on the cheap.

Not trying to be condescending. My bad if was taken as such. You and I have always gotten along well, I don't mean to change that.

I was essentially just saying if Cadillac could price such a car within 3 Series pricing option for option, more or less, I'd prefer it.

because the V-Sport ATS will be more than just a 335i competitor.  If it were to come with a 3.0TT, as you can see from the order guide, it gets upgraded brakes and other stuff.   If it is anything like the other V-Sport models, it will have actual performance credentials.

It won't be a direct competitor to a 335i... it will be above it.

because the V-Sport ATS will be more than just a 335i competitor.  If it were to come with a 3.0TT, as you can see from the order guide, it gets upgraded brakes and other stuff.   If it is anything like the other V-Sport models, it will have actual performance credentials.

But with 335 pricing and ATS-V pricing in mind, I don't see how that's a possibility.

But with 335 pricing and ATS-V pricing in mind, I don't see how that's a possibility.

The CTS V-Sport is a $7,000 premium over the Base CTS V6.

Assuming a similar upcharge for the ATS V-Sport you're looking at $50k base.... 

The CTS V-Sport is a $7,000 premium over the Base CTS V6.

Assuming a similar upcharge for the ATS V-Sport you're looking at $50k base.... 

Idk, I feel like that's kind of overpriced. And I definitely think the market would support that hypothesis.

The SS doesn't break 50K, and it has much more room, a 415hp LS3, MRC, Brembos, and all the features one could want.

I think with the 8-speed and the 335 hp engine, that should help a little.  I'd still drop that 2.5 liter base engine.   What would be better than a V-sport (which I think would have tiny sales volume) is a plug-in hybrid.  If you took the 2.0T hybrid system that makes 335 hp and over 350 lb-ft I believe, then you'd have a fairly well performing car, plus you get the fuel economy benefit and can appeal to the green crowd with electric range.  I think you could get more plug-in hybrid sales than twin turbo V6 sales.

And pricing isn't out yet, but I get the feeling Mercedes will be positioning the C-class plug-in hybrid as the middle engine, with the C450 as the top.   Audi has e-trons on the way as well, BMW is doing hybrids too.  Hybrid/electric is a low volume segment too, but I think if a you add $3,000 to the price of the turbo 4 car (regardless of brand), most luxury customers would pay that for the extra 50-70 hp and the fuel economy gain.