Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

'17 ZL1 Spotted, LT4 Likely: MT

El Kabong

"It's expected that the ZL1 will ditch the current supercharged 6.2-liter LSA V-8 in favor of the new supercharged 6.2-liter LT4 V-8 engine used in the [CTS-V and Z06]. We don't know what the power output will be, but we expect it to surpass the current model's 580 hp... the 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 will make its debut next year, likely at the 2016 Detroit auto show. Production should begin later that year."

Here's the link:

http://m.motortrend.com/wot/spied_2017_chevrolet_camaro_zl1_muscles_its_way_around_the_ring.html

Edited by El Kabong

Just checking on curb weights for the old ZL1. The lowest I could find was MT, who had one that weighed in at 4,051 pounds.

Now... Subtract 200 pounds, minimum, from that. You've got a roughly 3800-pound car. Probably with CTS-V power.

Now, go read the CTs-V reviews.

This thing's got potential.

• Agree 1

640 wouldn't surprise me either, it could be exactly the same as the CTS-V. Same chassis, I imagine they have the same air flow and exhaust abilities so power should be the same.

Putting 600 HP in a car isn't hard though, the hard part is getting that power on the ground, and how usable is it.

Edited by smk4565

Enjoy it while it lasts, I suspect over the next 3-5 years we will see a massive change away from the V8 except in special use cases. The masses will have to accept turbo / supercharged 4 & 6 bangers.

Enjoy it while it lasts, I suspect over the next 3-5 years we will see a massive change away from the V8 except in special use cases. The masses will have to accept turbo / supercharged 4 & 6 bangers.

Debbie Downer.

Negative Nancy.

Pessimistic Patty.

Bitchy Betty.

Party Crasher.

Kill Joy.

Although I agree with what you wrote.... :P

The more GM/Chevy reveals about this Alpha platform Camaro and its consequent versions, the more I am back in being a Camaro guy...and the more I forget about my love affair with the Camaro's former corporate brother, the Pontiac Firebird/Formula/Trans am....(although I do dream about how would Pontiac handle this platform...)

The Challenger and the Hellcat trim is still my top dog muscle car...as far as pony cars go and smallish sporty 2 door coupes go which include BMW M4s and Cadillac ATS V Coupes and the like...the Camaro is fast becoming my choice...

Disclaimer: Because the Challenger was ALWAYS a 'tweener in its history...I wisely determine its position in this niche to fit my style.

Ill call it a pony car when I see fit to fit my biased agenda and Ill call it a mid-sized muscle car other times....such as in this case...Ill ALWAYS have a place in my heart for the Challenger...so...in THIS case...a Challenger fits in the muscle car arena so I could wax poetic about the Camaro as a pony car...other times...the Challenger gets to be a pony car...so I could wax poetic about its merits...

This ZL-1  I could/would imagine is gonna be a beast worth reckoning with.

This Camaro ZL-1 Im assuming,  will put many established name brands on their heels begging for mercy.

Edited by oldshurst442

Debbie Downer.

Negative Nancy.

Pessimistic Patty.

Bitchy Betty.

Party Crasher.

Kill Joy.

Although I agree with what you wrote.... :P

:roflmao:

Yup that is me and more, but I could see the following in a Camaro and that would rock!

post-12-0-02991700-1442590329_thumb.jpg

Rated Torque: 560 Lb Ft Peak (w/150kW controller)

Rated Power: 420 HP Peak (w/150kW controller)

Max RPM: 10,000

AM Racing AMR Dual Stack 250-90 AC Motor - Liquid Cooled, Permanent Magnet - Remy

Pure electric using 400Amp; Batteries to get a 250 mile range or more.

Guest wings4life

At the MT link, there was a blogger named Todd27, and I completely agree with his remarks below:

"I think this is the new Z/28. Here's why;

The Z/28 became the halo car the ZL1 failed to become. GM needs to keep that momentum going. Especially with the new GT350 coming out and it being as good as it is.

The ZL1 was completely underwhelming. A big fail. YouTube is full of GT500 and Hell-Cat videos doing what they do....being awesome...almost no ZL1 videos.

The GM powertrain guys put the supercharged LT4 in the ZO6 because they said they could not make the power needed with a NA motor and meet emissions. The jist of the interview was that we can't keep using big cubes to make power anymore with the regulations that are coming into play. The Z/28 of last received the ZO6 motor. If this is the ZL1 and it gets the LT4 then what will the Z/28 get? The same motor? I doubt they would share the same power-plant. Then do they built a big LT? It just did not sound like they were going to try for such a limited run.

I think we are looking at the next Z/28 with LT4 power. The ZL1 will be written off to history as a "well we tried but got out gunned by the GT500 and Hell-Cat."