2017 Detroit Auto show: 2017 Ford Raptor Comments

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

500lbs less

about 50 hp more

4 more speeds

Best part is, 12mpg is now history.  Say hello to about 18-20mpg

I love this truck.

It's the undisputed King. And it comes just at the right time.

I find it a little amusing how the truck has the same shift paddles as the Ford GT (which look killer serious btw).

I honestly think a armoured up version of this with a multi-fuel capable engine would make an excellent off-road reconnaissance vehicles for domestic law enforcement agencies like Border Patrol and the like.

Nice looking truck, I question the long life of the twin turbo V6. Leaf springs on the back still? One would think they would have gone to a much more independent suspension at each wheel.

Nice looking truck, I question the long life of the twin turbo V6. Leaf springs on the back still? One would think they would have gone to a much more independent suspension at each wheel.

This was a reply in the "comments" section when somebody else said the same thing. I don't know much about off roading but it does make sense.

"Independent suspension degrades off-road performance. An articulated solid axle will lift the vehicle up over obstacles. Even the Humvee, with 37" tires and 16" of ground clearance could get hung up with its independent suspension. The solid rear axle gives good payload and towing characteristics along with very little maintenance."

As long as its solid axle, there will never be " much more independent suspension at each wheel. "

And that goes for the Ram 1500 coil over suspended solid axel too.

• Disagree 1

As long as its solid axle, there will never be " much more independent suspension at each wheel. "

Disagree, the Trucks that are raced at the various Bahaa races use independent suspension. After all this is a Raptor, not a work hauling truck. I get where leaf springs and everything solid makes sense but I question them not fully supporting the inspiration for this truck. A real racing truck.

• Agree 1

Well, I guess the question is where do they draw the line between the production model and something that is meant to race?

It's extremely capable, but I don't think Ford in any way wants to sanction dangerous operation of this vehicle, even in the hands of professional drivers. We've seen the reckless videos of the previous Raptor plastered all over.

Making it too capable for the target audience would be a waste on the part of Ford and would compromise the underlying vehicle - a truck.

Nor can this thing be priced ridiculously if it was even more focused, like close to a cool $100k.

But Ford doesn't have to go all the way, because no one is really attempting to go head on with Ford here.

• Agree 1

Disagree, the Trucks that are raced at the various Bahaa races use independent suspension. After all this is a Raptor, not a work hauling truck. I get where leaf springs and everything solid makes sense but I question them not fully supporting the inspiration for this truck. A real racing truck.

It is also a truck made for more than just racing in the desert and an independent rear end would likely sacrifice those other things just to hop some runes at 100mph. The balance would seem to shift without enough reward, imo. After all, people still use them as actual trucks. I've seen a few hooked up to trailers. 

Ford's Performance Strategy is shaping up pretty nicely.

They're not making hyper competitive sports cars, but they're building value by having a true performance-oriented trim of every vehicle they make.

The Explorer is kind of a barge, so the only way to make it better is to make it faster, not handle better. 

But this thing. No one can answer to it. No one is even willing to try.