William Maley

Honda News: Honda Debuts 2017 Accord Hybrid, Expands Clarity Lineup

Honda is getting serious with its green cred as they have announced an updated Accord Hybrid for 2017 and two more models joining the Clarity Fuel Cell in the U.S.

We'll begin with the 2017 Accord Hybrid. The model took a break for the 2016 model year as Honda updated the Accord lineup with a revised look and new tech. But the Hybrid as a 2017 model with all of the changes seen on the 2016 model - updated exterior and the addition of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

The big news is with the Accord Hybrid's powertrain. The 2017 model uses the next-generation of Honda's two-motor hybrid system with a revised 2.0L i-VTEC Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder engine, a more compact electric motor, and improved electronics. The changes increase horsepower from 196 to 212.

Fuel economy figures for the 2017 Accord Hybrid stand at 49 City/47 Highway/48 Combined. These numbers are slightly different from the 2015 model which boasted 50 City/45 Highway47 Combined. This is due to Honda having to certify the fuel economy numbers under new, stricter EPA drive-cycle test requirements for 2017.

Standard equipment includes a backup camera, remote start, and Honda Sensing (suite of safety tech such as collision avoidance braking, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, etc). Higher trims get a new 7-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto; heated rear seats, and front and rear parking sensors.

Pricing hasn't been announced, but Honda says the 2017 Accord Hybrid will be arriving at dealers towards the end of spring.

Honda Clarity To Get Two New Members

Honda hasn't even started selling the Clarity Fuel Cell in the U.S. (specifically California), but they have announced two new variations of it. For 2017, Honda will offer a fully electric and a plug-in hybrid version. Details are scarce on both models, but Honda says the Clarity EV will be sold in California first before moving to other markets. The Clarity plug-in hybrid will be sold in all 50 states and offer 40 miles of electric-only range.

Source: Honda

Press Releases are on Page 2

Click here to view the article

So Honda is taking a page from GM with a VOLT and BOLT twins to sell. 

I bet the Hydrogen never actually gets here. All the facts show that the amount of energy needed to create the hydrogen fuel is counter productive to what can be done with plug-in hybrids and EVs.

Guest Howie

I bet the Hydrogen never actually gets here. All the facts show that the amount of energy needed to create the hydrogen fuel is counter productive to what can be done with plug-in hybrids and EVs.

From GM ? Rather from Toyota (hybrid or hydrogen). GM is ER electric or pure electric. Actually, Honda was into hydrogen before Toyota.

Then why is GM partnering with Honda for hydrogen?

The hydrogen vehicles will be a Golden State special.

Then why is GM partnering with Honda for hydrogen?

The hydrogen vehicles will be a Golden State special.

Or just another way to get the billions in dollars being offered for R&D by the feds. This then ends up with some tweaks for the autos while they still say they are working on the Hydrogen stuff.

I don't like hydrogen vehicles. 

I think electric is just so much simpler. We need solar panels everywhere. I know, pre-order your SolarCity Gigapanels, get in line to buy something you've never seen, never driven installed, and hold out for 2 more years....

• Upvote 1

I don't like hydrogen vehicles. 

I think electric is just so much simpler. We need solar panels everywhere. I know, pre-order your SolarCity Gigapanels, get in line to buy something you've never seen, never driven installed, and hold out for 2 more years....

I agree that I think Hydrogen is a very inefficient power source. Much better and simpler to go with EV autos.