• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

BMW News: Rumorpile: BMW Planning A Full Electric i8

The current BMW i8 uses a plug-in hybrid powertrain to produce a total output of 357 horsepower. But the future version of the i8 could switch to a full EV powertrain.

Sources tell Autocar that German automaker would swap the turbocharged three-cylinder in the rear for two electric motors. Each electric motor (there would be three including one up front) is said to produce up to 268 horsepower.

With the addition of two electric motors, BMW will add a larger battery. To allow for this, the i8's carbon fiber structure would be modified. BMW already has some ideas as to how to do this as they did an i8 hydrogen prototype where they had to modify the structure to allow hydrogen tanks. Despite the larger battery, sources say going the electric route would allow the vehicle to keep the same weight as the current model - 3,274 pounds.

Source: Autocar

View full article

This is interesting but based on just this info alone will be a failure for BMW. If they cannot deliver on a powertrain solution equal to or better than Tesla, their 6 figure price is not worth it for this auto with only 268HP and no idea on the torque.

They went ham on carbon fibre and gesture control, instead of EV's and real design.

Though I do say, the i8 is sexy, all it needs is their 4.4TT V8.

Guest Howie

This is interesting but based on just this info alone will be a failure for BMW. If they cannot deliver on a powertrain solution equal to or better than Tesla, their 6 figure price is not worth it for this auto with only 268HP and no idea on the torque.

That's 268HP x 3 = 804HP (vs 762 for P90D).

In terms of global sales though, the i8 sells quite a lot. They sold like 5000 of these in 2015. Not a lot...but then again each is $130,000+...for a tin can ricer engine and a battery pack powertrain. Sure CF is expensive...but I think the i8 is less of a money loser than the ELR.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      The Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer has been talked about for the past few years, mostly in terms of delays and figuring out what platform will underpin it. But a new report from Road & Track reveals Jeep has something very special in store.
      An internal document from transmission supplier ZF lists the 2018 production and pre-production vehicles using a version of their 8HP eight-speed automatic transmission. Among the vehicles listed the Grand Wagoneer with the platform code ZS. What makes this more intriguing is the mention of a Grand Wagoneer Trackhawk. The listing says it has a 6.2L V8 and produces 729 PS - about 718 horsepower. Like the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, the Wagoneer Trackhawk uses a beefed-up version of the eight-speed automatic - ZF-8HP95X.
      Could this mean that Jeep will be launching a mad Wagoneer in the coming years? Possibly not. Road & Track has some possible guesses as to why this is mentioned,
      Someone goofed while working on this document FCA has built some Wagoneer prototypes with the Hellcat engine, but hasn't made plans to put it into production Source: Road & Track

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer has been talked about for the past few years, mostly in terms of delays and figuring out what platform will underpin it. But a new report from Road & Track reveals Jeep has something very special in store.
      An internal document from transmission supplier ZF lists the 2018 production and pre-production vehicles using a version of their 8HP eight-speed automatic transmission. Among the vehicles listed the Grand Wagoneer with the platform code ZS. What makes this more intriguing is the mention of a Grand Wagoneer Trackhawk. The listing says it has a 6.2L V8 and produces 729 PS - about 718 horsepower. Like the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, the Wagoneer Trackhawk uses a beefed-up version of the eight-speed automatic - ZF-8HP95X.
      Could this mean that Jeep will be launching a mad Wagoneer in the coming years? Possibly not. Road & Track has some possible guesses as to why this is mentioned,
      Someone goofed while working on this document FCA has built some Wagoneer prototypes with the Hellcat engine, but hasn't made plans to put it into production Source: Road & Track
    • By William Maley
      A new report from Autocar says that Mercedes-AMG is proposing a new entry-level sports car to take on the Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman. The model is being presented as a indirect replacement to the slow selling SLC to Mercedes-Benz’s board of management. According to sources, the model is in the "conceptual stage" and needs approval from the board.
      But it is clear that AMG has given some thought if this project is given the green light. The design is said to have clear links to the upcoming Project One hypercar, and come in a coupe and convertible. For power, Autocar says the turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder that will be used in both the new A35 and A45 hot hatches. Output will range from around 300 to more than 400 horsepower. There is a possibility of the engine being placed in a mid-mounted setup.
       “A lot of thought has gone into how Mercedes-AMG can better leverage its success in motorsport, particularly Formula 1 and endurance racing. One idea is a sports car that is relatively attainable financially and ideally suited to track day running. But it is just an idea and not a committed project right now,” said a source.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
  • My Clubs