• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Jeep News: Spying: The Jeep Wrangler Pickup is Real!

The next-generation Jeep Wrangler is bringing forth something that a lot of people have been clamoring for a long time; a pickup. We already know that the Wrangler Pickup will be coming out sometime late next year. Now we have the first spy shots of it.

According to Car and Driver, this mule is based on the Unlimited model. We can't tell you much about the design, aside from it appearing to have the iconic Wrangler shape. What we can tell you is that the pickup will use a new body-on-frame architecture that will use a steel frame, and a combination of aluminum and plastic for the body panels. Engines might be a new 2.0L turbo-four (possibly codenamed Hurricane) and Chrysler's 3.6L V6. A new eight-speed automatic will help with fuel economy.

Source: Car and Driver

View full article

Be interesting if the rumors I have seen in other stories comes true of a Plug-in Hybrid version of this truck.

Needs Ecodiesel before any pansy-ass plug-in.  Also needs a regular cab model.

On 7/22/2016 at 1:31 PM, ocnblu said:

Given the current climate, I would be shocked too see a diesel out of a Jeep outlet in this case.  But they will probably keep suspense right down to the wire.  But when they pull the switch for production most buyers will see the light and get a regular gasoline version...shocking, I know.  Don't want to just Bolt out in saying this...my batteries are drained, maybe I need to stop posting for the night and go to bed.

If all else fails Chrysler will have a panel to discuss this. I am sure there will be a big breaker breaker here at C and G if there is indeed a Diesel version.

Given Jeeps unique shape though, a hybrid Jeep would give a whole new meaning to the term electrical box!

Now that I have discharged my thoughts, I hope you are all amped up about the future of Jeep and don't have any resistance to this new truck.  It will be an interesting part of the line!

• Upvote 1

Ohhhhhhhhh, and hell yes on regular cab!

You really need some sort of discipline, probably grounded actually, for your relay of anti hybrid information!

On 7/22/2016 at 9:15 AM, dfelt said:

Be interesting if the rumors I have seen in other stories comes true of a Plug-in Hybrid version of this truck.

Probably almost all vehicles will have a hybrid version within these decade. Would not surprise me that this will happen!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Since 2014, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne proclaimed that Jeep needed a three-row luxury SUV to better compete with the likes of the Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator. But this SUV, known as the Grand Wagoneer hasn't materialized. Numerous delays and debates about the design has caused the launch to be pushed time and time again. These delays have a number of dealers concerned that Jeep may miss its opportunity with this new model.
      "I think our window of opportunity is closing. We could have killed with [the Grand Wagoneer] if it had been available when they first told us about it, but it's a much tougher sell with interest rates and gas prices going up," said an unnamed FCA dealer to Automotive News.
      John Murphy, research analyst at Bank of America Merrill Lynch said last week at a meeting of the Automotive Press Association that the "Goldilocks" era in auto retailing was coming to a close. Murphy said the next five years would be tough on auto sales due to a number of factors, especially for those trying to sell high-end models.
      Higher interest rates Increasing gas prices Raw materials becoming more expensive Increasing competition in the light-truck sector The current plan is to launch the Grand Wagoneer in 2019, but production could be pushed back till late in the year or even into 2020. This is due to FCA's plan to keep building the current Ram 1500 at their Warren Truck Plant until the end of year. But depending on demand, this could extend production into 2019, pushing back the time needed to retool the plant for the Grand Wagoneer.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Since 2014, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne proclaimed that Jeep needed a three-row luxury SUV to better compete with the likes of the Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator. But this SUV, known as the Grand Wagoneer hasn't materialized. Numerous delays and debates about the design has caused the launch to be pushed time and time again. These delays have a number of dealers concerned that Jeep may miss its opportunity with this new model.
      "I think our window of opportunity is closing. We could have killed with [the Grand Wagoneer] if it had been available when they first told us about it, but it's a much tougher sell with interest rates and gas prices going up," said an unnamed FCA dealer to Automotive News.
      John Murphy, research analyst at Bank of America Merrill Lynch said last week at a meeting of the Automotive Press Association that the "Goldilocks" era in auto retailing was coming to a close. Murphy said the next five years would be tough on auto sales due to a number of factors, especially for those trying to sell high-end models.
      Higher interest rates Increasing gas prices Raw materials becoming more expensive Increasing competition in the light-truck sector The current plan is to launch the Grand Wagoneer in 2019, but production could be pushed back till late in the year or even into 2020. This is due to FCA's plan to keep building the current Ram 1500 at their Warren Truck Plant until the end of year. But depending on demand, this could extend production into 2019, pushing back the time needed to retool the plant for the Grand Wagoneer.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      FCA US Reports May 2018 Sales
      FCA US reports best month of retail sales since July 2005 Jeep® brand reports record May of total sales, up 29 percent Jeep Wrangler reports record May of total sales, up 26 percent Ram Light Duty retail sales rise 18 percent in May June 1, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported sales of 214,294 vehicles in May 2018, an 11 percent increase compared with sales of 193,040 vehicles in May 2017.

U.S. retail sales for the month rose 10 percent to 167,785, making it the highest month of retail sales since July 2005 when 219,045 vehicles were sold. It was also the best May since 2004. Retail sales accounted for 78 percent of total sales. Fleet sales accounted for 22 percent of total sales, a slight uptick from 21 percent for May 2017.

Jeep® Brand
      Jeep brand total sales rose 29 percent to 97,287 vehicles, making it the best May in the company’s history. Driving the brand was the Jeep Wrangler as total sales rose 26 percent to 25,102 vehicles. The results marked the best May ever. Meanwhile, Jeep Compass total sales rose to 17,327 vehicles, making it the best month of sales ever.

Ram Truck Brand
      Ram Truck brand total sales rose 2 percent to 51,884 vehicles compared with the previous year. Ram Light Duty retail sales rose 18 percent in May to 27,011 vehicles.   
      Chrysler Brand
      Chrysler brand total sales declined 18 percent in May to 14,724 vehicles compared with the same month a year ago.   

Dodge Brand
      Dodge brand total sales rose 4 percent to 46,581. The Dodge Journey notched a new May record as monthly sales increased 37 percent to 10,966 vehicles.

FIAT Brand
      Sales of Fiat declined 46 percent to 1,441 vehicles.  

Alfa Romeo Brand
      Alfa Romeo brand sales of 2,377 vehicles were up significantly compared with the same month a year ago. Giulia led the brand with 1,175 sales, followed by Stelvio at 1,183 sales.
    • By William Maley
      The lengths that automakers go to with camouflaging vehicles continues to amaze us. Case in point, the first spy photos of the next-generation Chevrolet Suburban has hit the internet. General Motors has covered up every surface, including the underside. That's because the new Suburban appears to be ditching the solid rear axle for an independent setup. We know this as a spy photographer found the right spot where there was minimal camouflage and captured it.
      Why is Chevrolet switching to an IRS setup? It might have to do with the new Ford Expedition which moved to independent rear suspension. A source told Autoblog that Chevrolet wouldn't have fit IRS because it was expensive, but plans changed when the Expedition made a big splash with it. Of course, IRS could have been in the cards for some time. Nevertheless, this setup will help improve ride quality significantly.
      Engines are expected to mirror the new Silverado, which might include the new turbocharged 2.7 four-cylinder.
      Source: Autoblog, CarScoops

View full article
  • My Clubs