Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Volkswagen I.D. Previews The German's Electric Future

The diesel emission scandal has left Volkswagen battered and bruised. In an effort to try and salvage their image and business, the company is going all in on electric vehicles. Before the start of the Paris Motor Show, Volkswagen revealed the I.D. concept. Volkswagen says this concept when it goes into production in 2020 will be as groundbreaking as the Beetle.

We don't know much about the I.D. except for some details,

• About the size of a Golf
  • Uses Volkswagen's new Modular Electric Drive Kit (MEB)
  • Electric motor produces 125kW
  • Total range between 400 to 600 Kilometers (about 249 to 373 Miles)
  • Not sure if this means the vehicle will feature different battery options
  • Fully autonomous mode for the model coming in 2025

We'll have more details when the I.D. makes its auto show debut tomorrow. 

Source: Volkswagen

Press Release is on Page 2

I.D. – THE WORLD PREMIERE
Sep 28, 2016

Paris Motor Show - Mondial de l'Automobile 2016

• World premiere of the I.D. starts the countdown to a new era for Volkswagen
  • Volkswagen plans for the visionary I.D. to hit the road in 2020
  • An ambassador: the I.D. is the first Volkswagen of a new fleet of electric cars
  • It runs and runs: the I.D. has a range of 400 to 600 kilometres
  • Ready for the future: the I.D. concept car demonstrates a fully automated mode for the year 2025

Key facts – the I.D. in keywords

1. I.D. is the first Volkswagen in a completely new fleet of highly innovative electric vehicles.
2. I.D. is immediately recognisable as a zero-emission vehicle thanks to a newly developed design DNA for electric cars.
3. I.D. is driven by an electric motor with an output of 125 kW and has a range of between 400 and 600 kilometres on a single battery charge.
4. I.D. has an interior that offers an entirely new spatial experience with the Open Space.
5. I.D. will be launched as a compact electric car in 2020 parallel to the Golf.
6. As a concept car, I.D. gives us a first tangible glimpse of fully automated driving – this mode will be offered from 2025 onwards.
7. I.D. retracts its multifunction steering wheel into the dashpad when in fully automated mode ("I.D. Pilot").
8. I.D. can receive parcels using a new delivery service, if its owner isn't at home.
9. I.D. is the first compact Volkswagen based on the Modular Electric Drive Kit (MEB).
10. Volkswagen has set itself the goal of selling a million electric cars a year by 2025.

View full article

Funny how it seems to be a copy of the Bolt but with a VW badge on it. :P

Funny how it seems to be a copy of the Bolt but with a VW badge on it. :P

373 miles of range is outstanding, but what does that cost?  All EVs come down to cost, if it costs $50k, no one is buying it.  If it costs like $29k, this could be what the Beetle was for them 60 years ago.

Guest Howie
8 hours ago, smk4565 said:

373 miles of range is outstanding, but what does that cost?  All EVs come down to cost, if it costs $50k, no one is buying it.  If it costs like $29k, this could be what the Beetle was for them 60 years ago.

At what cost, and when ? The first units are 4 years away with a base range of 249 miles, which is where the Bolt is right now... per European standards. The same standards that give the Leaf a 155 miles range (vs 107 in US)... VW taunting it as "revolutionary" sound like marketing from old GM : "We screwed it but we're big so look at how great we'll be in a few years".

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Volkswagen recently held an event for journalists and investors to talk about the upcoming Jetta. But the company also gave a preview of their product plans for the near future. According to Autoblog, those plans include two new crossovers.
      The first will be a five-seat model that will slot between the Tiguan and Atlas. Volkswagen North America CEO President and CEO Hinrich Woebcken described it as 'coupe-like'. We're assuming this model will compete with the likes of the Ford Edge and Nissan Murano. The second will slot below the long-wheelbase Tiguan (what we get in the U.S.). This could either be the short-wheelbase Tiguan or a new model that was hinted by Volkswagen's director of development, Dr. Frank Welsch back in September.
      It comes as no surprise that Volkswagen is planning to expand their crossover offerings. During his presentation, Woebcken showed that light truck sales increased a whopping 51 percent year-to-date, compared to 1 percent for car sales.
      Still, Volkswagen is planning to walk away from sedans just yet. 2018 will see the new Jetta and launches of the Arteon and Passat GT. Down the road, Volkswagen will introduce a new Jetta GLI and redesigned Passat.
      Source: Autoblog

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen recently held an event for journalists and investors to talk about the upcoming Jetta. But the company also gave a preview of their product plans for the near future. According to Autoblog, those plans include two new crossovers.
      The first will be a five-seat model that will slot between the Tiguan and Atlas. Volkswagen North America CEO President and CEO Hinrich Woebcken described it as 'coupe-like'. We're assuming this model will compete with the likes of the Ford Edge and Nissan Murano. The second will slot below the long-wheelbase Tiguan (what we get in the U.S.). This could either be the short-wheelbase Tiguan or a new model that was hinted by Volkswagen's director of development, Dr. Frank Welsch back in September.
      It comes as no surprise that Volkswagen is planning to expand their crossover offerings. During his presentation, Woebcken showed that light truck sales increased a whopping 51 percent year-to-date, compared to 1 percent for car sales.
      Still, Volkswagen is planning to walk away from sedans just yet. 2018 will see the new Jetta and launches of the Arteon and Passat GT. Down the road, Volkswagen will introduce a new Jetta GLI and redesigned Passat.
      Source: Autoblog
    • By William Maley
      Back in June, we reported in the rumorpile that Mercedes-AMG was planning to launch a new lineup of models with the 53 designation. These models would set themselves apart due to them being equipped with a mild-hybrid setup. The redesigned CLS-Class would be the first model to debut the 53.
      Speaking to Automotive News, Mercedes-AMG boss Tobias Moers confirmed the existence of the 53 and that the CLS would be the first. All 53 models would be powered by a higher-output variant of the new turbocharged 3.0L inline-six paired up with a 48-Volt electrical system. Moers wouldn't say how much power the 53 series will produce but hinted that the AMG variant of the inline-six would produce somewhere in the range of 400 horsepower.
      With the new 53 lineup, the CLS will lose out on having an AMG 63 model. Moers said that would be taken up by a new four-door version of the AMG GT. A concept of this model was shown earlier this year at the Geneva Motor Show.
      More information on the AMG 53 will be announced next month at the Detroit Auto Show.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Back in June, we reported in the rumorpile that Mercedes-AMG was planning to launch a new lineup of models with the 53 designation. These models would set themselves apart due to them being equipped with a mild-hybrid setup. The redesigned CLS-Class would be the first model to debut the 53.
      Speaking to Automotive News, Mercedes-AMG boss Tobias Moers confirmed the existence of the 53 and that the CLS would be the first. All 53 models would be powered by a higher-output variant of the new turbocharged 3.0L inline-six paired up with a 48-Volt electrical system. Moers wouldn't say how much power the 53 series will produce but hinted that the AMG variant of the inline-six would produce somewhere in the range of 400 horsepower.
      With the new 53 lineup, the CLS will lose out on having an AMG 63 model. Moers said that would be taken up by a new four-door version of the AMG GT. A concept of this model was shown earlier this year at the Geneva Motor Show.
      More information on the AMG 53 will be announced next month at the Detroit Auto Show.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen has dropped some new sketches of the upcoming 2019 Jetta that will debut next month at the Detroit Auto Show.
      Compared to the current model, the redesigned Jetta looks to be more upscale. The front end comes with a hexagonal grille shape, sculpted hood, and angled headlights. Along the side is a pronounced character line and lowered roofline. The back comes with an integrated spoiler for the trunk and a dual exhaust system with chrome accents - likely on higher trims. Inside, the Jetta looks to be somewhat luxurious with an improved design for the dash, optional digital instrument cluster, and a large infotainment screen that is angled to the driver.
      Power will come from a turbocharged 1.4L four-cylinder producing 150 horsepower - the same engine found in the current Jetta. Transmission choices include a six-speed manual or an eight-speed automatic.
      Source: Volkswagen

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook