Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

September 2016: BMW Group U.S.

BMW Group U.S. Reports September 2016 Sales

• BMW brand sales decrease 4.6 percent
  • MINI brand sales decrease 8.8 percent

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – October 3, 2016… Sales of BMW brand vehicles decreased 4.6 percent in September for a total of 25,389 compared to 26,608 vehicles sold in September, 2015.  Year-to-date, the BMW brand is down 7.9 percent in the U.S. on sales of 230,133 vehicles compared to 249,956 sold in the first nine months of 2015.

Notable vehicle sales in September include the BMW 7 Series which increased to 1,201 cars, the BMW X1 which increased to 2,463 vehicles, and the BMW X3 which increased to 3,829 vehicles.

“Once again, our Sports Activity Vehicles (SAVs) are leading the way, accounting for 44% of BMW September sales, the second month in a row for such a percentage,” said Ludwig Willisch, President and CEO, BMW of North America.  “At the same time, I am also pleased to see demand for our flagship 7 Series continuing to increase with solid numbers over a year ago.”  

BMW Group Sales
In total, the BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported September sales of 29,413 vehicles, a decrease of 5.2 percent from the 31,022 vehicles sold in the same month a year ago.  Year-to-date, BMW Group sales are down 8.8 percent on sales of 269,044 vehicles in the first nine months of 2016 compared to 294,930 in the same period in 2015. 

MINI Brand Sales
For September, MINI USA reported 4,024 automobiles sold, a decrease of 8.8 percent from the 4,414 sold in the same month a year ago.  Year-to-date, MINI USA reported a total of 38,911 automobiles sold, a decrease of 13.5 percent from 44,974 automobiles sold in the first nine months of 2015.

BMW Group US September 2016.jpg

22 minutes ago, balthazar said:

You can only pedal dated design so long.

Dated and not good to begin with. At least Lexus has decent build quality and resale to go with their somewhat odd styling. 

But BMW resale gets as bad as Benz.  My son looked at a clean 2012 BMW M5, clean Title, like 80,000 miles....they wanted $12,500....on what was originally a very expensive car.

$12,500 will buy you a 2012 Malibu or Sonata with lower miles....but is in that ballpark.

Lots of BMW and Benz products run through the Ohio auto auction at absurdly low prices.  Repair costs and reliability have a lot to do with it in both cases.

• Agree 1

The 5-series is crashing and burning.  New model next year, but I think the big size, and dated look is catching up to it.  BMW sedans all over are down this year which wouldn't be a problem but the X4, X5 and X6 down this year too, so they aren't just pushing people to higher profit crossovers.

They are getting an X2 and an X7, that could help, but I think Mercedes has BMW beat.

29 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I think Mercedes has BMW beat.

Not much of a distinction IMHO.

That being said, I do find BMW more appealing than Benz, especially the MINI lineup.  But I am an odd car buyer.