Zero to 100 mph: 12.0 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.5 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.4 sec @ 105 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 150 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 156 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.93 g
EPA: 17/26 mpg
Curb weight: 4307 lb
As Tested: $59,975 (base price: $43,735)

There's so much to break down in this review, because the numbers tell so little of the story. Like the Fusion Sport, the engine is the car's greatest asset. Hit the gas and it gives serious thrust, though it's connected to an aging 6-speed automatic. Looking at the test results with no context, this seems to be just a hair behind the Audi A6 3.0T, which would be an excellent achievement, but as you read through the driving impressions things look less rosy. Fitted with the mind boggling selection of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires (meant for dedicated high performance cars), the .93g of recorded grip was overkill for the FWD-based chassis.

"...Worst of all, after cornering, the whole car wags like the tail of a Newfoundland puppy that just discovered freeze-dried chicken jerky. It then takes some time to recover its composure. And the all-wheel-drive system isn’t able to keep up, either, as the MKZ still wants to torque-steer off the road.

...these are summer-only sports-car tires fitted to a car tuned for all-season touring rubber. In fact, the placard in the doorjamb of our test car gave away the fact that it started life without these tires—the placard listed a different tire size than those fitted to the car—which Lincoln reps no doubt swapped in hope of improving test numbers.

One gets the sense that these tires were specially chosen for vehicles that would see performance testing by the media. According to Lincoln’s online configurator for the 2017 MKZ, the optional summer tire will be a 245/40R-19 (just like the Michelins on our test car); although the Lincoln website doesn’t specify the tire brand or model, it’s hard to imagine dealers ordering high-performance rubber for this car."

In the end, this car would have likely found greater fanfare with the high-end all season touring tires that it was engineered for. Let the luxury and impressive 400 horsepower engine speak for themselves without trying to be some sort of poseur sport sedan. This also leads us to the other elephant in the room: $59,975 as tested. That's the cost of a Fusion Sport and a Fusion Hybrid combined... for a car based on the Fusion.

Personally, I'm FAR from sold on Lincoln's latest direction, and this review only cements the impression of confused luxury goals and engineering compromises.

• Agree 2

It's not that they're ringer tires, it's that they don't belong on this car from an engineering standpoint. These are michelin pilot super sports. They're made for Porsches, Corvettes, and V-series Cadillacs. The review illustrates pretty clearly that the suspension reaches its limit before the tires do.

If you put super sports on a Toyota Corolla, it would probably hold .9g and brake shorter too.

• Agree 2

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

The MKZ with 3.0L and 200A trim package, including upgraded 19” wheels I just built has an MSRP sticker of $39,345 and comes nicely equipped.  I can’t think of ANY luxury maker anywhere that can touch all that for the price.  I dare anyone to try.

The ‘ringer’ tire argument is lame and I seriously doubt they put tires on the vehicle that are not available.  Personally, I think Lincoln should have used the standard tires, perpetuating their smooth, quiet thrust narrative, or whatever they call it.  Low profile tires in a luxury sedan is a waste. Today’s cars perform excellent as is, so there was no need to get that extra little bite in a car like this.

19 hours ago, dfelt said:

:palm: Not even sure where to begin on this, ccap summed it up pretty good.

Meh!

You forgot at least one face palm.

11 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

It's not that they're ringer tires, it's that they don't belong on this car from an engineering standpoint. These are michelin pilot super sports. They're made for Porsches, Corvettes, and V-series Cadillacs. The review illustrates pretty clearly that the suspension reaches its limit before the tires do.

If you put super sports on a Toyota Corolla, it would probably hold .9g and brake shorter too.

Sport Compact car, and I think Road and track did just that.  Corolla was pretty good with those tires...but still no sports sedan.  Same for the Lincoln.

2 hours ago, Wings4Life said:

The MKZ with 3.0L and 200A trim package, including upgraded 19” wheels I just built has an MSRP sticker of $39,345 and comes nicely equipped.  I can’t think of ANY luxury maker anywhere that can touch all that for the price.  I dare anyone to try.

The ‘ringer’ tire argument is lame and I seriously doubt they put tires on the vehicle that are not available.  Personally, I think Lincoln should have used the standard tires, perpetuating their smooth, quiet thrust narrative, or whatever they call it.  Low profile tires in a luxury sedan is a waste. Today’s cars perform excellent as is, so there was no need to get that extra little bite in a car like this.

Personally, I would be buying a Lexus IS series and calling it done with this price range. The only reason I would stop in my local Lincoln dealer with this in the showroom would be to get a free cup of coffee and shoot the bull about Ohio State Football.

In all honestly the modern Acura lineup is as ugly as home made sin from the front, but the chassis on Acura's are much more nimble than pretty much anything Lincoln builds.

Lincoln will never re gain its spot as an aspiration automaker, something it has not had since the Beetles all played together and we were about to take one small step for man and one giant leap for mankind.

Really, honestly, cannot tell you how quick this would go in for a trade in if it were in my driveway. But then I am not really a luxury car kind of guy anyways. 

• Agree 1

And I also agree with your logic here.  People are not running these at your local autocross or doing track days in them, they are picking up their kids from middle school and taking their spouse to a basketball game.  All sticky tires will do on a car like this is infuriate owners when they have to replace them at 12,000 miles.

People got angry with the Honda S2000, STI WRX, and Mitsu Evo for having to replace tires after 12,000 miles...what will peoples reaction be with a car like this?

Base MSRP for a 3.0T AWD is $43,735. This is included in the C&D specs I posted and confirmed on Lincoln's website. They shouldn't even offer that engine with FWD, which is what you used (along with incentives) to get it under $40k.

The tire argument is lame to *YOU* because you refuse to see the reality of Car & Driver's comments or anyone else's perspective, for that matter. Ford sent that car--insane options and all--so the fact that the review turned into a big joke at Lincoln's expense is their own fault.

9 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

Base MSRP for a 3.0T AWD is $43,735. This is included in the C&D specs I posted and confirmed on Lincoln's website. They shouldn't even offer that engine with FWD, which is what you used (along with incentives) to get it under $40k.

The tire argument is lame to *YOU* because you refuse to see the reality of Car & Driver's comments or anyone else's perspective, for that matter. Ford sent that car--insane options and all--so the fact that the review turned into a big joke at Lincoln's expense is their own fault.

Bingo!

21 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

2017-Lincoln-MKZ-3.0T-AWD-101-876x535.jp

2017-Lincoln-MKZ-3.0T-AWD-106-876x535.jp

2017-Lincoln-MKZ-3.0T-AWD-119-876x535.jp

Can we keep the kind of cool historical looking greenish house in the back ground and send this to IIHS for voluntary crash testing?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

I hit $56k MSRP on the configurator by selecting black label, 3.0T/AWD, and picking a paint color that wasn't silver or black. It's a lot easier to push $60k than you'd think.

And at that price, a whole new world opens up to you.

...and sorry if I seemed unusually harsh in my earlier comments. The existential angst of selling back my TDI is starting to hit home.  Beginning to think there won't be a fix and I do not want to subject my  car to a sad, short life after it leaves my hands.

Also do not really find myself being sold on anything I am looking at for a repalcemnt.  that being said, I really dislike the Lincoln in question in this thread.

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Loading up premium trim interiors and technology packages will radically increase the price of any premium car.

The fact of the matter is, you can get all that power, nicely equipped, and yes with AWD for $44K……and NOTHING can touch it for less.  So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Oh, and the tires are ABSOLUTELY available as well. 

So…….

On the tire thing.  This is what I was referencing. Edmunds accused Ford of a "ringer" in 2012 by putting .... wait for it.... Michelin Pilot Super Sports on an MKZ for the Press Fleet... an addition that allowed the MKZ to beat an M5 through the slalom. However, while it is correct that the MKZ is technically available with them, less than 1% of MKZs came so equipped. 

So rather than give a realistic view of the car, Lincoln hands the press a Ringer that isn't one based on a technicality. Based on that percentage... it means about 300 MKZs out of the ~34k sold per year are equipped with these tires. 

So really, the review should have the disclaimer "Results not typical".

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

So Lincoln put track tires on a car that never sees a track, except for testing.

Sounds right to me.  Who cares about percentages.

24 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

So Lincoln put track tires on a car that never sees a track, except for testing.

Sounds right to me.  Who cares about percentages.

Because as journalists, our job is to report our findings on cars as people would actually use them.  It's precisely why I got into this business. I would see stupid comparisons of Lincoln Continentals and BMW 5-series in slalom runs... as if 1) Any Lincoln buyer 15 years ago cared about slalom times and 2) Any 5-series buyer was cross shopping a Continental.    Years ago I got mad at Cadillac for sending me an SRX in a configuration that had already been canceled... what's the point of writing a review on a product that people were no longer going to be able to buy?  In the case of this MKZ, what's the point of writing a review (except perhaps as a sidebar) of a vehicle that virtually no one will buy?

22 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

On the tire thing.  This is what I was referencing. Edmunds accused Ford of a "ringer" in 2012 by putting .... wait for it.... Michelin Pilot Super Sports on an MKZ for the Press Fleet...

Very interesting, indeed.

22 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

an addition that allowed the MKZ to beat an M5 through the slalom.

That tire shouldn't make it or break it to an M5.

46 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

However, while it is correct that the MKZ is technically available with them, less than 1% of MKZs came so equipped.

I definitely see your point.. but the same can be said when they test near 50k mustangs and Camaros. Very few in owners hands are that loaded up but that's what they get to test because you're showing off the best of the best for the car.

27 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Very interesting, indeed.

That tire shouldn't make it or break it to an M5.

I definitely see your point.. but the same can be said when they test near 50k mustangs and Camaros. Very few in owners hands are that loaded up but that's what they get to test because you're showing off the best of the best for the car.

Mags generally test Mustangs and Camaros in every available powertrain configuration. While most people do opt of the lesser models... there is a point to reviews of the ZL-1 and GT350 reviews even though only a small percentage of either will be sold.  When you buy a ZL-1 or GT350, you're buying more than just a set of wheels and tires... there are a whole host of upgrades that come with it.   Furthermore, journalists know they are testing some high performance machine.

As for this MKZ, sure it's got 19s on it, but unless you make a habit of noting the sidewall before you get in and drive, there is no reason to expect the car to be any different than what you'll find on a typical dealer's lot. In this case with the MKZ, Lincoln supplied a car in a configuration that virtually no one will buy and attempted to pass it off as normal. Furthermore, the build sticker on the door jam indicated that the car was originally configured with 18s but whoever manages their press fleet decided to swap out the wheels. When you select the high performance tires though, the suspension gets recalibrated to handle it.  This test car didn't have the recalibration...meaning that technically, no, you can't buy this configuration from Lincoln without someone pulling a switcharoo at the dealership.

And yet... even configured properly, it is highly unlikely that you will find one of these MKZs at a Lincoln dealership. Lincoln is only building about 300 of these cars per year with this tire package.  There are about 325 Lincoln dealerships, so less than one per dealer per year with these tires.

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)
2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Because as journalists, our job is to report our findings on cars as people would actually use them.  It's precisely why I got into this business. I would see stupid comparisons of Lincoln Continentals and BMW 5-series in slalom runs... as if 1) Any Lincoln buyer 15 years ago cared about slalom times and 2) Any 5-series buyer was cross shopping a Continental.    Years ago I got mad at Cadillac for sending me an SRX in a configuration that had already been canceled... what's the point of writing a review on a product that people were no longer going to be able to buy?  In the case of this MKZ, what's the point of writing a review (except perhaps as a sidebar) of a vehicle that virtually no one will buy?

As they use them huh......including all the track time???

Look, when they test vehicles like they are actually used, in real life, rather than tracks, then they will know how they are used. Nobody will ever track an MKz, except journalists. So, they get what they give,

Edited by Wings4Life

4 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

As they use them huh......including all the track time.

If it's tracked, I say put track tires.  Problem solved.  Everyone does it.

Actually, no, everyone does not do it... At least not for on road evaluation drives which is what this car appears to be. When a manufacturer does do it, they often get caught.

Furthermore, if this was meant for a track evaluation, why would Lincoln use a car *without* the sports suspension tuning? 

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)
36 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Actually, no, everyone does not do it... At least not for on road evaluation drives which is what this car appears to be. When a manufacturer does do it, they often get caught.

Furthermore, if this was meant for a track evaluation, why would Lincoln use a car *without* the sports suspension tuning? 

Wait, was it tracked or not?

I don't have an answer as to what or who is responsible.  And neither does anyone here.  Just speculation.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Furthermore, the build sticker on the door jam indicated that the car was originally configured with 18s but whoever manages their press fleet decided to swap out the wheels. When you select the high performance tires though, the suspension gets recalibrated to handle it.  This test car didn't have the recalibration...meaning that technically, no, you can't buy this configuration from Lincoln without someone pulling a switcharoo at the dealership.

Believe it or not, this does happen. I worked in a shop for 3 years and every single vehicle that came in we were supposed to correct tire pressure and it wouldn't be some super rare event that a car or truck would come in with OE wheels and tires and they were a different size from the placard but still an OE setup. Not sure where the error was but there were too many and on cars people didn't care about to have just been an owner swapping wheels. 

Edited by ccap41
Bad grammar.. probably more I missed..lol

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Believe it or not, this did happen. I worked in a shop for 3 years and every single vehicle that came in we were supposed to correct tire pressure and it wouldn't be some super rare event that a car or truck would come in with OE wheels and tires and they were a different size from the placard but still an OE setup. Not sure where the error was but there were too many and on cars people didn't care about to have just been an owner swapping wheels. 

Yeah, I know that dealerships swap out wheels often .

5 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

Wait, was it tracked or not?

I don't have an answer as to what or who is responsible.  And neither does anyone here.  Just speculation.

The photographer in the article, @Chris_Doane is long time member here and I'm friends with him on Facebook. I'll just ask him.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)
6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You don't know Chris, so don't make any assumptions.

It's hardly an assumption, that a decision that could have come from any level within an entire brand, would not need to be explained or justified......to a person taking pictures.  Especially, keyword here, at the point of handing it over, if they did not want it to be the main focus of a car review.

On 10/25/2016 at 3:52 PM, ccap41 said:

I think it looks great from the front (I like the Jag look even though it is a knockoff design), Terrible back end, and  "meh" center stack.

Just the opposite, I think it looks hideous from the front, worse than the already badly designed Acura and Lexus models.

The tail light treatment in the back I can go for.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Well you sir are just wrong... :P

I suggested sending the Lincoln off for crash testing in another post, why don't we compromise?  we'll buy one Fusion Sport and one of the above mentioned Lincoln. I will weld the Lincon back end on the front of the Fusion, and you can have the Lincon with the fusions back end...

DMV may wonder WTF we did when we go to register though....

• Agree 1

I like both the back and the front.... just not so much on the same car.  I always felt the pre-refresh MKZ looked slender and feline.  As a whole, the car worked visually.

I like the new Continental look, but in this case it looks like a mask on the body of a vehicle that it doesn't fit. Updating the MKZ tail end to the Continental looks should have been done also. 

18 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No Turbo 3.0 in that. The 3.6 is excellent, but no way it will stand up to the power of the 3.0tt. 

Though, GM does have a 3.0tt in house that could fit.

Let me play the devils advocate, how many people are actually going to drag race the cars in question, or brag endlessly at the dinner table about how fast their new car is?

13 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I like both the back and the front.... just not so much on the same car.  I always felt the pre-refresh MKZ looked slender and feline.  As a whole, the car worked visually.

I like the new Continental look, but in this case it looks like a mask on the body of a vehicle that it doesn't fit. Updating the MKZ tail end to the Continental looks should have been done also. 

And this is one of my objections the whole design looks heavy and a little bit too feminine. I much prefer the more masculine look of say the CTS

27 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Let me play the devils advocate, how many people are actually going to drag race the cars in question, or brag endlessly at the dinner table about how fast their new car is?

It's not about drag racing so much, but there is a level of thrust that the LaX just can't match. The LaX you have to really wind out to get the power out of. I haven't driven the MKZ 3.0TT, but I have driven the Fusion Sport.  There is a substantial difference in pull between the LaX and the Fusion Sport.  It's not a V8, but it's about as close as you can get without those two extra cylinders. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It's not about drag racing so much, but there is a level of thrust that the LaX just can't match. The LaX you have to really wind out to get the power out of. I haven't driven the MKZ 3.0TT, but I have driven the Fusion Sport.  There is a substantial difference in pull between the LaX and the Fusion Sport.  It's not a V8, but it's about as close as you can get without those two extra cylinders. 

I really do like the Turbocharged technology that Ford has come out with.  Apples to oranges I know, but my neighbors Ecoboost F150 is fantastic.