Toyota News: Don't Expect A Turbo or Hybrid C-HR For U.S.

William Maley

To say we were slightly disappointed to find out that the U.S.-Spec Toyota C-HR would only come with a 2.0L four-cylinder producing 144 horsepower would be an understatement. The European-spec C-HR has the choice of either a turbocharged 1.2L four or a hybrid, but neither of these powertrains will be showing up in the U.S.

Car and Driver spoke with the C-HR's chief engineer, Hiroyuki Koba to find out why. Koba didn't say why the turbocharged 1.2L would not come to the U.S., but we're guessing Toyota didn't want to put the effort in getting this engine certified for the U.S. Also, performance numbers between the 2.0L and turbo 1.2L are similar (11 seconds for the 2.0 to hit 60 mph, 11.1 seconds for the 1.2).

As for the hybrid, Koba said the decision comes down to the market, not engineering. At the moment, Toyota doesn't see the demand for this model in the U.S.

Koba did admit there is a possibility for a more powerful version of the C-HR, but quickly added there aren't plans for this at the moment.

Source: Car and Driver

View full article

Dud on arrival.

No AWD, No Turbo, No Hybrid.

At the moment, Toyota doesn't see the demand for this model in the U.S.

I don't see the demand for the entire model... not just the hybrid version.

It's a slightly lifted Matrix without the utility, space, AWD.... or heck... even the speed.... and the Matrix was no barn burner. 

17 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Dud on arrival.

No AWD, No Turbo, No Hybrid.

I don't see the demand for the entire model... not just the hybrid version.

It's a slightly lifted Matrix without the utility, space, AWD.... or heck... even the speed.... and the Matrix was no barn burner. 

Toyota is too conservative in their corporate culture.  The Supra, which was supposed to be a uniquely styled super car, is looking like it will look like a late 1990's prelude. The Flagship LS 400 is bland for a car at that price point....almost to the point of absurdity.

The Camry is riding on a 2002 platform IIRC.

Limited options with the 86, the one interesting vehicle they build....and limited additional development.

Corolla is decent but outclassed by the Mazda 3 and several other cars in its segment...and no additional development money from Toyota. 

Prius sells well in other markets but the current car has serious limitations in this market.

Tundra is outclassed by domestics with eleventy billion more packages and options...

Tacoma is nice for what it is but really pricey...

They are not convincing me that they want to move forward with this latest offering.

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Toyota is too conservative in their corporate culture.  The Supra, which was supposed to be a uniquely styled super car, is looking like it will look like a late 1990's prelude. The Flagship LS 400 is bland for a car at that price point....almost to the point of absurdity.

The Camry is riding on a 2002 platform IIRC.

Limited options with the 86, the one interesting vehicle they build....and limited additional development.

Corolla is decent but outclassed by the Mazda 3 and several other cars in its segment...and no additional development money from Toyota. 

Prius sells well in other markets but the current car has serious limitations in this market.

Tundra is outclassed by domestics with eleventy billion more packages and options...

Tacoma is nice for what it is but really pricey...

They are not convincing me that they want to move forward with this latest offering.

Remember, this was a car that was supposed to be for Scion.  It makes me wonder if Toyota North America even wanted it, but it was already developed so they had to take it and now they don't know what to do with it. 

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Remember, this was a car that was supposed to be for Scion.  It makes me wonder if Toyota North America even wanted it, but it was already developed so they had to take it and now they don't know what to do with it. 

Existentially Toyota is not sure of itself or where it is going...it is not just this car....

3 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

This entire endeavor is a failure.

It would be nice if VW brought out a product in this amrket segment, ti would be a much ncier car than this...

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It would be nice if VW brought out a product in this amrket segment, ti would be a much ncier car than this...

Word from those in the know is that something like this is being considered. With the Tiguan growing in size, there is certainly room for such an offering.

GOOD, no crappy hybrid.  Very telling that the hybrid won't appear in a car that is supposed to sell to "hip young millenials"' don't you think?  ESPECIALLY from Toyota?  And DOUBLE ESPECIALLY since it already exists elsewhere?  ;)

Still needs the option of AWD, and a stick though.

Edited by ocnblu

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I expect minimal demographic interest, but visually it is a sharp product.  Comes down to price.  Few people put 'turbo' on their small CUV purchase wish list.  Scratch that, nobody puts it on their list.  People want cute and dynamic and value and efficient and roomy.  And duh, most cars sold today by far, do not include a hybrid option.  I do expect some lost sales from no AWD however.

I like it.  

Edited by Wings4Life

2 hours ago, Wings4Life said:

I expect minimal demographic interest, but visually it is a sharp product.  Comes down to price.  Few people put 'turbo' on their small CUV purchase wish list.  Scratch that, nobody puts it on their list.  People want cute and dynamic and value and efficient and roomy.  And duh, most cars sold today by far, do not include a hybrid option.  I do expect some lost sales from no AWD however.

I like it.  

Having sat in it already, I'm going to disagree with you here.  The interior is cramped and most politely described as austere. The cargo area is very small.  A naturally aspirated 2.0 with 144 hp is going to feel sluggish compared to a Turbo-DI of the same net output... and I say that because the old Matrix with 158 hp felt sluggish and overworked in normal traffic. 

I see the target demographic as young single Asian women in non-snowbelt cities who have few friends because they just moved to town.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)
1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Having sat in it already, I'm going to disagree with you here.  The interior is cramped and most politely described as austere. The cargo area is very small.  A naturally aspirated 2.0 with 144 hp is going to feel sluggish compared to a Turbo-DI of the same net output... and I say that because the old Matrix with 158 hp felt sluggish and overworked in normal traffic. 

I see the target demographic as young single Asian women in non-snowbelt cities who have few friends because they just moved to town.

I don't think anyone's expectations for a $20K base MSRP CUV should be too high.  Everything seems proportional to price.  Styling is spot on for the demographic. Quality should be excellent. I see little to dislike.

Just now, Wings4Life said:

I don't think anyone's expectations for a $20K base MSRP CUV should be too high.  Everything seems proportional to price.  Styling is spot on for the demographic. Quality should be excellent. I see little to dislike.

The Ford EcoSport is better, the Chevrolet Trax is better, the Nissan Juke is better, the Jeep Renegade is better, the Honda HR-V is better, the Mazda CX3 is better.  They all start at $20k.  They all have AWD available. Most have the same or better horsepower.... or a turbo-4 that has sufficient low end grunt. All except the Juke have more room. All have nicer looking interiors.

The Subaru Crosstrek is only $1,500 more.

It's not like the C-HR is a particularly attractive or "cute" vehicle like a MiniCooper.

Just about the only thing that will sell this vehicle to people is the Toyota badge.  This is something you get your teenage daughter if you live in Plano Texas and are negotiating a deal on a Tundra for yourself.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Only disadvantage I see is no AWD.  Probably not a huge deal at this price point, as customers will view it more as a tallish hatch than they will a weekend warrior.

And styling looks great, inside and out.

On 2016-12-03 at 0:25 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Having sat in it already, I'm going to disagree with you here.  The interior is cramped and most politely described as austere. The cargo area is very small.

Having also sat in one, my perception was quite different : room enough to adjust driving position and ample rear leg room to "sit behind me". Rather claustrophobic than cramped. With all those different colors, materials, textures, creases, accent lines and driver-oriented "in your face semi-floating screen" the interior could be anything but austere. I agree the boot is on the small side for the size of that thing, but not CX-3 small (let's not forget that the CH-R is bigger than HR-V, CX-3 or Renegade in the first place).