Star Trek Reboot Discussions!

David

Howdy all C&G Forum fans, time to get the Sci-Fi debate on!

So we have what has been well received as the official reboot of Star Trek. Characters that truly represent the original crew of the Enterprise and some kick ass entertaining movies. Officially original Spock has died and a solid tribute to him was done in the last movie. Sadly the actor playing Chekov died over the summer due to an accident with his jeep and pinning him down till he suffocated and died.

So lets discuss where we think this story is going to go, take the easy way with refiliming the same story lines, new story lines, what? How will they deal with Chekov's death? Will they mark it as an away or leave ending in his death, green screen him in and have him die in action since they are away in deep space?

Get out those thinking hats and lets discuss!

Star Trek, the next voyage! :tinfoil:

I have been a Star Trek fan since I was 10 years old.   I basically pretend the lastest movies don't exist. I was so disappointed in the second one that I never even bothered to see the 3rd. 

I get that it is a different timeline... but even in a different timeline, physics don't change. The way the ships move doesn't change.  The tech may look different, but a warp core is still a warp core and the physics of warp drive were very very very well explained in the original cannon. 

These seem to be more James Bond movies in space rather than Star Trek.... and the producers have forgotten that the Enterprise is the main character... not spock, not kirk.... 

It says so right in the opening credits... "These are the voyages of the Star Ship.... Enterprise...."

• Agree 1

I was never a fan of Star Trek.

I did however enjoy some original Star Trek TV shows. The Next Generation stuff never interested me.

OK..this is where it becomes wacky. I LOVE the last 2 rebooted movies. I am saddened by the death of the actor playing Chekov.

Leonard Nimoy....I was saddened by his passing as well.

Star Wars is where its at for me. Yes. Even Episodes 1,2 and 3.

#2 was too long and too love storyish that needed not be. Stupid scenes that took away from what could have been a better storyline with Count Dooku and Anakin and the Clone Wars.

We KNOW that Padme and Anakin were gonna be a thing...no need to make us vomit over it with overly corny, overdone, over dramatized love scenes with no chemistry between the lovers.

HOWEVER, the chemistry between Anakin and OB1 were incredible!

OK....back to Star Trek...

13 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have been a Star Trek fan since I was 10 years old.   I basically pretend the latest movies don't exist. I was so disappointed in the second one that I never even bothered to see the 3rd. 

I get that it is a different timeline... but even in a different timeline, physics don't change. The way the ships move doesn't change.  The tech may look different, but a warp core is still a warp core and the physics of warp drive were very very very well explained in the original cannon. 

These seem to be more James Bond movies in space rather than Star Trek.... and the producers have forgotten that the Enterprise is the main character... not spock, not kirk.... 

It says so right in the opening credits... "These are the voyages of the Star Ship.... Enterprise...."

I understand what you are saying, but I have to say I have enjoyed the reboot and the new movies. 1 was good, 2 Meh, 3 was way better and the whole family enjoyed it especially the ladies who were never fans before.

I think the reboot has adapted to attracting a wider audience, does this take away from the original theme and focus? YES, I think it does, hard core fans who started out with the original TV series and grew up on it like me have had my hate it love it affair with the whole various series on TV and Movies.

Yet with that said, I think they did an outstanding job on rebooting this franchise. I personally hope they do a nice tribute to Chekov in the next movie.

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I was never a fan of Star Trek.

I did however enjoy some original Star Trek TV shows. The Next Generation stuff never interested me.

OK..this is where it becomes wacky. I LOVE the last 2 rebooted movies. I am saddened by the death of the actor playing Chekov.

Leonard Nimoy....I was saddened by his passing as well.

Star Wars is where its at for me. Yes. Even Episodes 1,2 and 3.

#2 was too long and too love storyish that needed not be. Stupid scenes that took away from what could have been a better storyline with Count Dooku and Anakin and the Clone Wars.

We KNOW that Padme and Anakin were gonna be a thing...no need to make us vomit over it with overly corny, overdone, over dramatized love scenes with no chemistry between the lovers.

HOWEVER, the chemistry between Anakin and OB1 were incredible!

OK....back to Star Trek...

LOL, Guess we need a Star Wars debate / Discussion thread as I have some deep feelings about the series and love it all of them including the love Storyish #2, but this is about Star Trek!

I have enjoyed the reboot, #2 left me with mixed feelings, loved the first one and the 3rd one. I think the 3rd one shows what future cities in space could look like. 

I loved the tie in with older vessels and the change over from a military group to a science research reach out to other species. I thought they have tied in with past original Star Trek really well in #3. Loved the tribute to Leonard Nimoy.

I am a trek nut.  I loved the first and 3rd, second was OK.  The last one felt more "Star trek" to me than the previous 2.  I wish they hadn't made the Enterprise Gimormous......  Apparently the 4th one is going to involve time travel and have George Kirk in it, should be interesting.  I am also looking forward to Discovery which is supposed to return to the prime timeline. 

I havent seen the 3rd one....yet.

Because I am not a Trekkie, it was not on my gotta see it now list.

I feel like all the rebooted Star Trek movie actors do an incredible job of  capturing the essence of the characters they represent in the original way while at the same time spinning their own take on the originals.

A bloody shame for Anton Yelchin.

Very hard to do but I think they succeeded BIG TIME. I think this is why the rebooted movies connect with newbies like myself to being a fan of the franchise TODAY.

Newbies like myself certainly know and are familiar with the quirky actors and acting of the original cast. And I am talking about myself here, I did not necessarily want Nimoy or Shatner or the others in the movie, I did want to see familiarity. And I did want the movies to break away from that nerdy edge original format.

I guess that was what the Next Generation was all about with Captain Picard...it was still too nerdy for my tastes.

@oldshurst442

Gotta see #3, it was done right and is a great movie. I really liked it. Highly recommend you watch it during down time this holiday season. Always good with your favorite beverage.  :cheers::drunk::tipsy::deathwatch:

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@oldshurst442

Gotta see #3, it was done right and is a great movie. I really liked it. Highly recommend you watch it during down time this holiday season. Always good with your favorite beverage.  :cheers::drunk::tipsy::deathwatch:

Will do actually!!! Thanx in part to this thread. Yours and Stew's posts made me itchy for #3.

We, as in the family, we will be going to see Rogue One during the week between XMAS and New Years. What better way to cap off that week with #3 from Star Trek. My kids have watched #1 with me and did enjoy it. I watched #2 alone though. I dont think #2 is necessary to watch for #3...it dont matter, all we'll do is Star Wars and Star Trek marathon all that week!!!

• Agree 1

I've enjoyed the 3 reboot movies.   I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the new series coming next year.     I grew up watching TOS in the late 70s-80s reruns, still a fan of it, regardless of the cheesy special effects. Liked the 80s-90s movies, liked The Next Generation and Enterprise, didn't really care for DS9 and Voyager.   Been a casual Trek fan for close to 40 years...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

Olds, you will Enjoy Beyond, lots of original series style humor (you will know what I mean when you watch it) and lots of tie-ins to other series like Enterprise.  They did a lot since this was the big movie for the 50th anniversary. And I am so looking forward to Rogue one too.  Saw Episode 7 the first day it was out (brother had pre-ordered tickets online)..  I am in nerd heaven with so much Trek and Star Wars coming out right now and SyFy even has a few good space series out right now!  Also there is supposed to be a Galactica Movie coming along with a new Stargate movie. 

• Agree 2