William Maley

Fiat News: Rumorpile: Department of Justice Opens Investigation Into FCA Over Emission Violations

A day after the EPA announced an investigation into possible emission violations with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' 3.0L EcoDiesel V6, the Department of Justice has now opened its own investigation.

Bloomberg has learned from sources that the U.S. Justice Department has opened a criminal investigation into FCA's possible violations of the Clean Air Act. As we reported yesterday, the EPA said FCA did not disclose eight different software programs used on the 3.0L EcoDiesel V6. In lab tests, the engine used in the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 exceeded more emissions when driven at high speeds or for extended periods.

We should note this isn't the only investigation being done by the DOJ into FCA. Last year, the DOJ started investigating the company over possible fraud for inflating sales numbers.

FCA did not respond when asked by Bloomberg for a comment. A DOJ spokesman declined to comment.

Source: Bloomberg

View full article

OUCH, This could be the start of pushing FCA to the courts in the form of Bankruptcy.

• Upvote 1

If the Donald has his way there may not be a DOJ or EPA in 7 days haha  (That is a joke BTW)

Actually the Democrats and Obama have tried to freeze the EPA regulations to where it will be difficult to change things fast if at all from 2022-2025. 

Not sure how much damage can be done here...FCA doesn't pump them out like VW did....so I don't expect anything major......though I am betting on a nice fine though...

16 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Not sure how much damage can be done here...FCA doesn't pump them out like VW did....so I don't expect anything major......though I am betting on a nice fine though...

The fine is what will hurt.

Also keep in mind that while it may not be as big as VW in volume the hurt may be just as harsh as FCA pockets are not as deep and even a lower fine may have a as much impact, 

My hope is GM has not done similar and or suffers lower sales because of the scandals.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

The fine is what will hurt.

Also keep in mind that while it may not be as big as VW in volume the hurt may be just as harsh as FCA pockets are not as deep and even a lower fine may have a as much impact, 

My hope is GM has not done similar and or suffers lower sales because of the scandals.

Oh, I have no doubt it will hurt...as they are already in cutback mode now.

Though in FCA's case I wonder if they even knew they did it.....

20 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Oh, I have no doubt it will hurt...as they are already in cutback mode now.

Though in FCA's case I wonder if they even knew they did it.....

So often things like this are known the real question is just who knew is difficult to answer. 

I also can see how some companies may be working grey areas like NASCAR teams. Some of these laws are written one way and can be interpreted differently.

we will have to see just what they did and how it was done. 

I know the diesel are a real hot potato with the EPA. Even the aftermarket has not offered many parts as they are afraid of fines for some simple performance mods.

The goverment wants to unload Guantanamo but you cross the line on the EPA they will give you a death penalty.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hyperv6 said:

So often things like this are known the real question is just who knew is difficult to answer. 

I also can see how some companies may be working grey areas like NASCAR teams. Some of these laws are written one way and can be interpreted differently.

we will have to see just what they did and how it was done. 

I know the diesel are a real hot potato with the EPA. Even the aftermarket has not offered many parts as they are afraid of fines for some simple performance mods.

The goverment wants to unload Guantanamo but you cross the line on the EPA they will give you a death penalty.

Yep, plenty to agree with there....

But I can tell you firsthand why and how they suck at communication here....it explains to sheer number of issues they have had with the cars, like the 9 speed trans.....scary when your own employees in the same company as you...not on the same page as you!!

Why it kinda makes me laugh a bit when the say that FCA fudged this or that (like the numbers, for example). Nope, things are really that chaos fulled down at HQ....:lol:

Yes communications could be a real issue in how FCA is set up. So many divisions so many countries and on the surface they all just appear like they are not working as one. 

I know GM before the bail out was a total mess with communications. With what I knew I could see the air bag thing getting covered up and not many knowing. By the time anyone at the top found out there was little they could do. 

The Germans at VW. I believe the engineers figured they could get away with it and once they were caught the upper management denied it till they could no longer do so. 

Even at my work and most other companies communications are not what they should be and most are very poor. It is not just something in the auto industry. 

I know lower levels cover up and upper management is often too hands off on many things they should be active in  or at least make an appearance in. It used to be that I would have anyone from Owner to President to Operations manager stop by my desk weekly. Today I seldom see them anymore as we have grown so large. I have been there long enough they know me on sight but there are many people working there that they do not know or have ever seen them. This is where things start to go off the rails. I feel even if time is tight leadership should still pass through and be seen once a week if they are in the building. It is just me but this sends a strong message to the masses. 

Even at Goodyear the CEO would stop by about once a month and have coffee with my dad. They got to know one another and the others in the department also got to know him and everyone respected him more for it. 

Even if those at the top can not be seen the folks under them should make more effort to be seen and see what is going on. Even the Captain leaves the bridge now and then. 

Even at my